Considering new iMac - thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Moo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Switched to Mac 4 years ago and never looked back. People who don't use them seem to hate them for some reason, usually because of the hip and/or smug image associated with Apple but it doesn't bother me. My last Mac lasted longer than any PC I ever owned and I only replaced it when I dropped it and smashed the screen. It still worked fine so I was able to transfer everything over via ethernet and within a few hours my new mac had EVERYTHING my old Mac had in the exact same place.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

People who don't use them seem to hate them for some reason.
    Why would we use computers we dislike? [​IMG] Are you trying to insinuate that if only we'd "give mac a chance" we'd all love them? This seems to be a very popular myth with Mac people, especially considering that nearly everybody under the age of 35 has at some point in their lives used a Mac at school. Or, do we have to go buy one to properly appreciate it? FWIW, I switched from Mac to PC in 1996 and I've never looked back. (Well, aside from college when I was forced to use one)

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

"Mac people" insinuate many things. Which fuels adults to argue across the internet over computers.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

"Mac people" insinuate many things.

Not really. [​IMG]

It's actually a pretty specific term that describes a pretty specific person.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

Not really. [​IMG]

It's actually a pretty specific term that describes a pretty specific person.

no no, not the label "mac person", but the fanboys on both camps -- mac persons and pc persons both -- are guilty of this behavior

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Currently using last gen 24" imac with a second 22" screen. The setup is good for working with word/ppt on the main screen, with internet stuff/ email on the second screen. Covetting the 27" imac also...

Heh, this is the true genius of the imac. When you need to upgrade your computer you have no choice but to buy a new screen as well. [​IMG]

7. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Aside from LINUX nerds, I don't believe I've ever witnessed this type of behavior from non Mac people.

Probably based on the assumption that people are familiar with Windows. [​IMG]

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

get the 27" then look on ebay for cheap applecare (which is a lot cheaper especially for iMacs) and your computer is covered for 3 years.

just make sure your desk can handle the screen and extra stuff like external speakers and whatever.

it sucks when you have nice pictures and view them on that wicked awesome screen because then any prints of average size look lame in comparison.

10. spencers

spencers Senior member

I love my 27" iMac.

11. HHD

HHD Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. [​IMG]

I've read about these problems with the yellowing of the screen, but Gizmodo reported as recently as yesterday, I think, that Apple has acknowledged these issued and recently halted production and then restarted it. Should I keep waiting? If so, how long?

Apparently shipping times are back to normal, that would suggest the issue has been addressed:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/02/...-s-and-canada/

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Why would we use computers we dislike? [​IMG]

Are you trying to insinuate that if only we'd "give mac a chance" we'd all love them? This seems to be a very popular myth with Mac people, especially considering that nearly everybody under the age of 35 has at some point in their lives used a Mac at school. Or, do we have to go buy one to properly appreciate it?

FWIW, I switched from Mac to PC in 1996 and I've never looked back. (Well, aside from college when I was forced to use one)

Mac OS has changed A LOT since 1996 (as has Windows... I know). Once can't compare OS' and hardware which are 14 years apart.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Mac OS has changed A LOT since 1996 (as has Windows... I know). Once can't compare OS' and hardware which are 14 years apart.

So what? And please explain where exactly you think I compared anything, let alone things made 14 years apart. Oh, wait... I didn't.

Quit being such a fruit basket Jon.

14. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Why would we use computers we dislike? [​IMG]

Are you trying to insinuate that if only we'd "give mac a chance" we'd all love them? This seems to be a very popular myth with Mac people, especially considering that nearly everybody under the age of 35 has at some point in their lives used a Mac at school. Or, do we have to go buy one to properly appreciate it?

FWIW, I switched from Mac to PC in 1996 and I've never looked back. (Well, aside from college when I was forced to use one)

No.

I'm saying people tend not to like them for no good reason. I know plenty of people who didn't like macs because they are Apple products. I know less people who dislike macs because they used one for an extended period of time and decided to dislike them based on their personal evaluation.

15. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Do it, bud. You'll love it.

'An unspecified number of users reported problems with the screen of their iMac, including cracked and flickering displays, and screens that appeared to have a yellow tint. Apple has issued two software updates that say has resolved the issues with the screens. One, update TS3207, updates the display firmware to "address issues that may cause intermittent flickering". The second, update DL984, updates the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to "address issues that may cause image corruption or display flickering'.