• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering making the dress code for a dinner White Tie.

bigdaddycumcum

Reaction score
G'day gents,

Just wanted to get some opinions on this subject. It's my 25th birthday coming up, and I'm going to be hiring a fancy hotel/restaurant for dinner and drinks, and I want to ask my guests to come in full evening dress. Is this a bit much? I'm sure some people would love to go all out, but I'm worried about offending people, as obviously it is not the Wiener Opernball, but I think it will be fun and lots of people would really enjoy getting properly dressed up.

I love the idea of a bunch of 20 somethings traipsing through South Kensington in white tie and tails, and will include a list of places where they can buy or rent the necessary gear for a range of prices. However, I want to know whether setting the dress code could be seen as a bit of a faux-pas, and whether you think my guests will be receptive to the idea. I'm considering putting a note into the invite saying they'll probably need white-tie attire for future weddings etc. although Im not too sure how true this is nowadays.

I don't know whether this is relevant, but roughly 95% of us were privately educated, and I'm assuming quite a few will either already have tails (parents' hand-me-downs/past events), or will have the means to acquire them for the evening. The last thing I want is for people to feel like they can't come because they don't want to spend money on a new outfit, or worse, not getting involved and coming in some weird mish-mash.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are earnest, you would first want to ensure that your party guests would have the means to attend - those of whom you want to see, that is - and it sounds as though you have already given that some thought. I wouldn't worry too much about offending people who aren't your guests. Setting the dress code for your own party is fine, as long as you are comfortable with any absentees.

The real trouble is that unless you want the party to begin after dark, or 6pm, you won't be able to have it in evening dress. You can begin the party that late, but you'd waste the possibility of cocktails in the late afternoon, and you shouldn't wear tailcoats in the daytime. Ultimately, you will have to decide for yourself on the basis of what would suit you and your circle of friends. You should note, however, that full dress is quite formal.

Personally, I'd be inclined to choose whatever manner of dress code would for the largest amount of guests to attend, be comfortable, and have the best time. Perhaps you could suggest evening dress in your invitation, and then let the chips fall where they may.

Unless, of course, everyone loves the idea or you don't care whether they like it or not, in which case you wouldn't be asking.

bigdaddycumcum

Reaction score
Thank you so much - great help. As for your first point, it will be in October of next year, and we will probably start around 6/6:30 anyway, but I will make a poll, see what people are up for. It may well be that people love the idea, it might go the other way.

Thanks again, will let this thread know how it goes.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I love the idea of a bunch of 20 somethings traipsing through South Kensington in white tie and tails

I do too, but I live in Philadelphia and in that context it becomes more of dark or absurdist comedy premise, depending upon how far gentrification has progressed.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Has to be a troll post. Big Daddy *** *** is someone's onlyfans or chaturbate name.

If not trolling: If you make me "traipse" with you because you're turning 25, i.e. too young to have actually accomplished anything yet with your life, I would be down for it, but on the condition that we only wore the hat, tailcoat, detachable collar, and shoes. Nuts out butts out, this is non-negotiable. I would also encourage we bend the rules a bit and try to incorporate some leather in the attire.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore white tie as a member of my friend's wedding many decades
ago in Manhattan. I even had a collapsable top hat. Throughout
the event I couldn't help but feeling like an underage, over weight,
Fred Astaire.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent thread to wake up to.

Big daddy *** *** 11/10 name

If a troll, well done

If not a troll, go with your best self I guess. Not sure if you expected a different ansee than the ones you got.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
given the lack of engagement beyond the original post and the generic follow up, I would concur.

If so, and the thought had occurred to me, a somewhat bad troll, because he isn't really getting a rise out of anyone yet.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say this,

If you really want to do this, go the full Monty and become lords as well. It is a minor additional cost to your carousing and honestly, it is semi-expected at that point.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No update? Damn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads