• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering an unconstructed jacket for casual wear; which color is more versatile: tan, charcoal, o

Locke42

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is having a 40% off sale on these things (and they have my size!), so I'm considering getting one, mainly to wear with my jeans but maybe also trousers/chinos. They also have a wool/cashmere blend version in navy and charcoal. Which color do you guys think will be more versatile? Also, stick with cotton or go with the wool blend?

I know that the navy blazer is considered to be a staple, but I don't know if that applies to soft jackets, too. I'm somewhat partial to the charcoal (from the picture it looks like it has a bit more texture than the tan or navy), and my gut tells me to stay away from the tan. I've never really worn tan before other than for pants, and I just don't know how good a tan jacket would look with khakis. But I'm a bit of a newbie with regards to blazers and sport coats and the like; I don't really know how well they pair up.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
1) None of these jackets are suitable for casual wear, unless you mean that casual wear=chinos+button down dress shirt+the jacket+loafers or something like that. With jeans and sneakers, forget about it.
2) Cotton jackets are for hot weather (summer), wool/ cashmere for cold weather (winter). A mid weight wool might be more versatile.
3) You wear tan with light items and brown shoes. Navy could be worn with black or brown shoes. Charcoal isn't an appropriate colour for sportscoats unless you don't care and go streetwear. In the end if you ever wanted a grey jacket as SC you would need one with some sort of texture or pattern, not one that looks like a suit jacket estranged from his much loved pants.
4) Jackets look like **** from the back and they're pinned down like hell, maybe they'll look ok on you if you carry a bit of weight but certainly not if you're slender.

Locke42

Reaction score
1) None of these jackets are suitable for casual wear, unless you mean that casual wear=chinos+button down dress shirt+the jacket+loafers or something like that. With jeans and sneakers, forget about it.
2) Cotton jackets are for hot weather (summer), wool/ cashmere for cold weather (winter). A mid weight wool might be more versatile.
3) You wear tan with light items and brown shoes. Navy could be worn with black or brown shoes. Charcoal isn't an appropriate colour for sportscoats unless you don't care and go streetwear. In the end if you ever wanted a grey jacket as SC you would need one with some sort of texture or pattern, not one that looks like a suit jacket estranged from his much loved pants.
4) Jackets look like **** from the back and they're pinned down like hell, maybe they'll look ok on you if you carry a bit of weight but certainly not if you're slender.
1) D'oh, that's what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure what I should be looking for in a soft jacket.
2) Got it.
3) That's why I was considering the charcoal. From the pics it looks like it does have a bit of texture to it. But you're saying it doesn't (or doesn't have enough)?
4) BB's Regent jackets fit me like a glove, but those are for their suits. I'm not certain about these jackets. How are they supposed to look from the back? I'm not obese, but I'm definitely far from "slender." I'm stocky; 5'8" 175lbs, 40S/42S jacket.

rohde88

Reaction score
Not sure why the strong hate. I have two of these unlined Regent jackets. The cashmere and a blue check. They can easily be taken in at the waist and do well in temperate climates without adding a ton of heat from a lining. I have strong shoulders and this jacket conforms to me.

The charcoal doesn't look like an orphan in person. The texture is a bit rougher than any wool suiting. I wear both jackets with light pants and love them.

Locke42

Reaction score
Not sure why the strong hate. I have two of these unlined Regent jackets. The cashmere and a blue check. They can easily be taken in at the waist and do well in temperate climates without adding a ton of heat from a lining. I have strong shoulders and this jacket conforms to me.

The charcoal doesn't look like an orphan in person. The texture is a bit rougher than any wool suiting. I wear both jackets with light pants and love them.
How would the charcoal look with indigo jeans?

rohde88

Reaction score
Last edited:

Locke42

Reaction score
See, now that doesn't look too bad. I saw a couple of guys wearing charcoal jackets with their jeans in my neighborhood (young-ish, mid-to-late 20s), and that's where I got the idea to start considering the charcoal.

Unfortunately, the charcoal's now sold out in my size. :( I guess I waited too long. Would a navy jacket pair well with indigo 501 jeans, or is that just too much dark blue? I do have a lighter pair of jeans that I don't wear too often, but I probably would if that makes for better contrast. And if I do go with navy, should I go cotton or wool/cashmere?

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, total newbie. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads