• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONSIDERING A RIMOWA CARRY ON AND HAVE 2 QUESTIONS

andpgud

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am new here and am consindering a rimowa as a carry on. I know I will be getting that brand but the question is if I should get a zippered one or one with 2 clamps.
I always tend to pack it full so what would be the better option and also what is safer and will live longer.

Also am afraid is weight now as the hybrid is 0.6 kg heavier. Is that something to worry about you guys who travel a lot?

I am considering either one

screenshot_2018_10_27_18_51_02_453b965ed923292a08a2c883da98a7fc7fb51e46.png

screenshot_2018_10_27_18_50_53_9466654dc553c3e3b7d64a87326701af381b2524.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have both and find the difference to be marginal. I imagine the clamps hold up better in the long run, as sometimes zippers get stuck, but it's also slightly annoying having to align the top and bottom parts of the case for clamps. If I could only go with one though, I'd prob do clamps.

andpgud

Reaction score
I have both and find the difference to be marginal. I imagine the clamps hold up better in the long run, as sometimes zippers get stuck, but it's also slightly annoying having to align the top and bottom parts of the case for clamps. If I could only go with one though, I'd prob do clamps.
What about the fact the clamped one is heavier? Is that not a problem?
You own the aluminium case maybe?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about the fact the clamped one is heavier? Is that not a problem?
You own the aluminium case maybe?

My aluminum is a clamp down and my zippered case is polycarb. The polycarb is lighter, but more because of the material and not the closure system. I don't think the clamp vs zipper decision affects that much in weight, but you may know better than me if you're currently looking at specs.

Zero Halliburton also has some nice heritage cases you might want to look at.

FWIW, if you're prone to overpacking, a hard sided case may not be the best option. These don't have any stretch, whether clamp down or zippered. You might want a soft sided case.

andpgud

Reaction score
My aluminum is a clamp down and my zippered case is polycarb. The polycarb is lighter, but more because of the material and not the closure system. I don't think the clamp vs zipper decision affects that much in weight, but you may know better than me if you're currently looking at specs.

Zero Halliburton also has some nice heritage cases you might want to look at.

FWIW, if you're prone to overpacking, a hard sided case may not be the best option. These don't have any stretch, whether clamp down or zippered. You might want a soft sided case.

I am mostly after the rimowa. Its the design I love and if I am supposed to go with a bag then this is it.
The hybrid model which is clamped is 0.6 kg heavier but also I like the fact it has alu corners.
I want to get it for years and I travel quite a bit.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a topas carry on that replaced a Halliburton with a million-plus miles on it. It’s a tank (in the best way), but I’m not sure you’re asking the right question.

FWIW, I fly a lot - a hair under 250k last year in 44 weeks - and have given my carry on a lot of thought since I basically live out of it. I think it’s really more about size and configuration details. Here’s why:

- zippers can only be had on the salsa polycarbonate models; clamps are only on the topas line

- both are “hard” cases, but the polys flex more so you can overstuff them more than a topas, so you need to consider the type of traveler you are and how you pack. If you tend to pack heavy, go polycarbonate

- I think reliability is the same between zipper vs clamp, but I have heard (never seen) of metal bags getting bent and then getting issues for clamps to align

- the models with clamps will be the Classic, the IATA, and then the 35 liter one (can’t recall model numbers) that is often called the “first class carryon”... I looked at them all

- IATA is just too small. I’m pretty disciplined and can go 10 days with just a roll aboard, but the size of this model, although legal on every airline, ruled it out. It’s really tiny

- classic is a hair bigger and the leather handles are a nice touch, but it only had a compression panel on one side. The handles also don’t go flat and I worried about them catching on something in a bin

- I went with the 35 and love it. Two liters doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a world apart. Go to a shop that carries them and you’ll instantly see what I mean. It also has the compression panels on both sides and metal handles lay flat. Only place I’ve had to gate check has been on KLM Cityhoppers, but you can barely put a sandwich in those overheads so the smaller bags wouldn’t have helped. Yes, it is technically “oversized” but I’ve never, ever been questioned, so all that chatter you see on Flyertalk is just that

- the other decision point is 2 vs 4 wheels. I’ve logged painful miles with both styles and it’s 4 wheels all the way! Trust me, I know the pros/cons of each, but once you start gliding around on a quad, it’s game over

- metal is heavier (duh) but this thing is a piece of gear that won’t die along the way. One thing I’ve really come to appreciate is the telescoping handle as it has several settings and is so strong that I routinely lift the bag with it (clearing jetways, curbs, and even short sets of steps) rather than using the handle

- finally, every hard case forces you to deal with the toiletries issue. If you have TSA PRE, it’s a non issue domestically, but I keep all my liquids in a separate zip bag that is the same size as my electric accessory bag that I have in my briefcase. When overseas I just swap one for the other and the problem is solved

- after shopping around quite a bit, I bought my bag on eBay from a Dutch seller and shaved around $400 off of retail. It was new with tags and all accessories

Hope this helps...

andpgud

Reaction score
I have a topas carry on that replaced a Halliburton with a million-plus miles on it. It’s a tank (in the best way), but I’m not sure you’re asking the right question.

FWIW, I fly a lot - a hair under 250k last year in 44 weeks - and have given my carry on a lot of thought since I basically live out of it. I think it’s really more about size and configuration details. Here’s why:

- zippers can only be had on the salsa polycarbonate models; clamps are only on the topas line

- both are “hard” cases, but the polys flex more so you can overstuff them more than a topas, so you need to consider the type of traveler you are and how you pack. If you tend to pack heavy, go polycarbonate

- I think reliability is the same between zipper vs clamp, but I have heard (never seen) of metal bags getting bent and then getting issues for clamps to align

- the models with clamps will be the Classic, the IATA, and then the 35 liter one (can’t recall model numbers) that is often called the “first class carryon”... I looked at them all

- IATA is just too small. I’m pretty disciplined and can go 10 days with just a roll aboard, but the size of this model, although legal on every airline, ruled it out. It’s really tiny

- classic is a hair bigger and the leather handles are a nice touch, but it only had a compression panel on one side. The handles also don’t go flat and I worried about them catching on something in a bin

- I went with the 35 and love it. Two liters doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a world apart. Go to a shop that carries them and you’ll instantly see what I mean. It also has the compression panels on both sides and metal handles lay flat. Only place I’ve had to gate check has been on KLM Cityhoppers, but you can barely put a sandwich in those overheads so the smaller bags wouldn’t have helped. Yes, it is technically “oversized” but I’ve never, ever been questioned, so all that chatter you see on Flyertalk is just that

- the other decision point is 2 vs 4 wheels. I’ve logged painful miles with both styles and it’s 4 wheels all the way! Trust me, I know the pros/cons of each, but once you start gliding around on a quad, it’s game over

- metal is heavier (duh) but this thing is a piece of gear that won’t die along the way. One thing I’ve really come to appreciate is the telescoping handle as it has several settings and is so strong that I routinely lift the bag with it (clearing jetways, curbs, and even short sets of steps) rather than using the handle

- finally, every hard case forces you to deal with the toiletries issue. If you have TSA PRE, it’s a non issue domestically, but I keep all my liquids in a separate zip bag that is the same size as my electric accessory bag that I have in my briefcase. When overseas I just swap one for the other and the problem is solved

- after shopping around quite a bit, I bought my bag on eBay from a Dutch seller and shaved around $400 off of retail. It was new with tags and all accessories

Hope this helps...

It sure does.
You say the topas has only latches but if you look at the new hybrid line the case is poly and with laches. Thats why I am considering it.
I tend to overpack and was wondering if thats going to be a problem with latches.
Also have you had issues with weight?

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the model you are looking at as it must be really new. But if you are looking at really stuffing that bag, then zippers are probably the call as they give you a bit more flexibility when closing the lid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads