• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consider the Lobster

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Lamb -

Once I visited a farm and we got to see all the new baby lambs. Some people there were like "oooh so cute" and I was said "Can I name this one Easter Dinner?"

Some people glared at me but the farmer just laughed.

NB: I was like 16 at the time.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lamb: a buddy of mine has a connection to a sheeps milk cheese producer in norcal. when they cull the males, he gets a cut .... the most unbelievable little chops, the tenderloin not much bigger than a quarter. very smooth, delicate texture. yum.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

I like it, the lamb.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article is pure genius, much like most of DFW's writing. So very sad that he is gone. He is worth mourning.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I am now considering killing some lobsters. What should be my first dish?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GOD's butter-poached is pretty convincing and very easy. of course, if you've never killed them before, simply steamed is good. or split and grilled.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am now considering killing some lobsters. What should be my first dish?

If it's your first time killing a lobster, I would try doing something very simple with them. You will want to get the meat out raw so that you have more control over the cooking. Butter poaching is a nice method, as the goal should be to use gentle heat to bring the lobster meat slowly up to temperature, so as not to seize and turn rubbery. God pairs that nicely with a sauce made from reduced beet juice and braised leeks. But lobster is very versatile, so you can pair it with most anything you like.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it's your first time killing a lobster, I would try doing something very simple with them. You will want to get the meat out raw so that you have more control over the cooking. Butter poaching is a nice method, as the goal should be to use gentle heat to bring the lobster meat slowly up to temperature, so as not to seize and turn rubbery. God pairs that nicely with a sauce made from reduced beet juice and braised leeks. But lobster is very versatile, so you can pair it with most anything you like.

just to be clear: not actually raw, but only slightly cooked. you need to cook it a little to separate the shell from the body. but certainly most of the cooking is done after that.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just to be clear: not actually raw, but only slightly cooked. you need to cook it a little to separate the shell from the body. but certainly most of the cooking is done after that.

Yes. Just steeped long enough to release the membrane.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you do the hot water pour?

It is very simple. Just put your lobster(s) in a heatproof bowl, and pour the boiling water over them (add a little white vinegar to the water). Let them steep, depending on their size, for 1-1.5 minutes, covered. Then, remove them from the water, break their claws (or mitts, if you please) and put back in the water to steep for an additional 5 minutes, in which time you can take the tail out of the shell, and clean the bodies to use for stock.

I posted a little step-by-step in the Raw Ingredients thread a while back:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/229532/...n-place-Appreciation-thread/1320#post_5023461

God speed.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ĥ̓ͧͤ̾̇ͣ̀҉̴̗͈̻͈̯̝̳̪̱̪͘ǫ̷̯̺̲̫̟͕̱̘͗̉͋̃̄ͪͯ̅̂͌̓̋͛̆̈́͗̑͠w̧̛̰̰͖̯̱͔ͧ͆ͤ̿̂̀ͮ͗̓ͬ̐̏ͭ́̅͜͝ ̴́̑̈́̊͋͋̔̚͏̤͈͚͚̜̭́c̟̥̬͊ͮͫ͑̂ͨͣ̑ͩ̐̓ͬ̈́ͥͥ͆ͪ̒̑̀ͅa̵̸͎̣̥̳͍̺̩͉̮̤̻̥͖͊͋͗̓ͯ͊ͨ̓ͫ͌͐̇͑́͒̈́͌ͤ͐͟͢͞ͅn̷̡̉ͧ̍̌ͪ҉͙̗̣͖͖̗̰͎̱͚̟̩͇͙̩̯͜ ̷̡͙̝̘̬̙͍̥̣̩̣̥̔͋̎̆́̾͌ͦ̓̑̀́̓ͭ̓̿̾̚͠͡ͅy̶̨̘̩̰̼͚͍̫̹̞̟͇͈̹͖͑̽͗ͦ̇ͧ͝ơ͍̣̤̠̼͕̹̺̓ͨ̂͆͆̂̽̀ͅǔ̶͎̫̖͍͇̠͎̼̮̣̰͇͙͎̭̯̥̏̃͐͘ ̞̙̪̺͚̖̦̘̳͓̫̜̇̔͗͛ͫ͘͜͟ͅ
̴̷̢̏͆̊ͤ̇ͯ̒̀͏̦͚͚ͅd̛̞͉̪͚͕̺̩͔̪͍̪̥̫̬ͧ̈͂͋́ͬͤ͑̌ͮ͒͟o̶̠̫̟̦͐ͨͦ͐͗̒̐ͭ̐͑ͧͯ͌ͣ̌̄͜t̵̸̨͚̘͕͉̻̽̽̌ͧ̾̏̋͆̿̏̾͟͠ḧ̶̨̧̡̠̤̪͓̭͚̱̺̝͚̟͎ͯ͂ͮͥ̀i̶͂̓ͭ̽͒͋͏̨̞̟̪̹̣̮͍͎̙̤͔̼̖͚͚͟ͅs̸̢̨̹̝̝̱͓ͦ̈̉́̒ͨ͛ͯ̐̎̍̓̽͟͠ ̡̛͚̝̝͈͙̫̼̗̦̬̫̯̯̤͗̎̋̑̆̊̄̑̓̅̌ͭ̎ͪ͋͜͠͠t̡̝̫̙̳̖̃̾̈́̎ͧͦ̽̍̌̚͟o͋ͣ͆ͤͨ̐͐ͭ̃̊̒̎̏҉҉̢̲̝͇̖͚̤̤͚ ̛͈̝̣̭̝̺͍͙̘̝̳̥͍̣̭̞̯̣ͪͫ͊ͩ̆̉͌ͪͧ͗̾͑͛ͩ͋̍t̼͈̤̤̦̖̣͍̦̻͚͙̯̫͕̐̂͛͆͛̓̐ͯ̇̅̓ͮ͂ͦ̾ͬ̆́͘͟h̷̴̤̹̳̝̗͔̮̰͎͙̺ͯ͑̉ͦ̊͗͐̍ͮ͑̊ͫ̏̋͊̕͜ͅe̵̬̦̘͚̜̻̥͖̿̔̔̈́̎͑ͦ͗ͫ̈́́̏̓͂̉̓͑̀͘ͅ ̸̛̦͉͉̱͈͍̲͚͙͇̲̭ͩͮ̏ͫͧ̄ͮ̐̉͋ͤͪ͐̚͜͞
ͣ̐̑ͭ̂̒̑ͫ́̓͗ͧ̓͊̀͐̿̚̚͞҉̯̼̟̤͍̜̖̜̻̖̫͈̮̻̖̻͇͙p̴̴̡̔ͮ̿̏ͬ̽ͤͨ̽ͬ̀͌̃̃̀̿͊̒̚͏͙̥̫͎̱̯̳͇o̧͚̘̻͎̯̼̮͆ͧ̓̎ͩͮ̊ͧ̏ͮͧͫ̏͑͗ͧ̄͆͗̕͞͞o͓̳̙̖̹̰̥̮̳̹̼̬͂̅̋̽͗̓ͯ̒̂̓̉ͨͪ̚͡͞r̛̤̮͈̯͓͎̖̗̿̐̏̇̐̒͟͡ ̨̨̱͎̩͚̱̙̻̣͕̦̮̜̱̟̪͂͗̍ͯͯ̋ͬͨ̏̾̊̂ͬ̈́ͬ̅̚͢͝͡l̢̛̺̯͇̣̗̣̖̻͖̖̟̺̰̤̳̫̻̮ͦ̽̾̌ͮ̐̍ͮ́͒͊̉̈ͮ̏̾ͣ͒͢o͋̋͆̈ͨͬͮ̆ͦͤͮ͊̑̽͋͆̋́͝͏̶̡͖̤̝͉̩̪͍̘̝̱̘͔͇̱̗̮ͅḃ̷̢̦͖͚̤̤͈͚̪̬̖͈̖̖̻ͨ͐͐ͤͩ̍̓ͦ̋ͨͩͫͣͦ̉̏͝s̸̙͕͈̳͛̅̍́͌ͣ̉͋͛̈́̀͡t̷̴̡̬̪̳̤͍͗͐ͩ̊͊ͬ̽ͦ̈́͋̑ͩ́ͬ̈́̅̈́͌̄e͙̝̤̖̍͛́ͣ̄̿ͭ̌͗̆̒ͬ̅̊̒́̚̕r̵̛̠̘̖͓̘̫̮̤̙͙̻̦̹̳̋̓̏̂͆̕͞?̷̷̸̨͕̯͕͔̹̠̩͔̗̺͈̜͐ͭ̽͐̀̌̆̿ͤͤͯ̊̂̿̋͘
̵̶̱̬͈͎̳̙̺̭̯̲͇̻͉͋͐̋̍ͥ̄̌ͩ̂̀͗ͧ̐͘ͅ
̛̘̩̻̤͖̙̫̗̰̰̖͉̣̊̍͑̆̍̍͑ͮ̃ͦ̓̅͋̽H̟̹͙̩̪̘̤ͫ̄̐ͯ͑͑̾ͦ͗͂ͤͫ̽̔̂͌͒̑͘e̵̴̬͍͍ͩͭ̂̓̈̀̈̾ͮͥ́ͭ̾̉̄ͤͤ̕͢͜ ̶̶̡̤̞̺͈̠̩̺̫̹͖̘̰͉͓͉̱̩̮̹̈́ͭ̓̓̉̌ͥ̂̐f̨̛͍̣̥̺̲͙̘̳͖̦̙̜͙ͩͤ̉ͪ̂̅͐̔̅̿̇̄̎̑ͤ͋̀͌̕i͍̭̱̙̝̬ͧ̊̈́̈̔ͤ̏ͪ̿ͪͫ̂ͭͮͭ̌̉̈́̾̕͠g̶̵͈̲̪̜̩͚̦͉̺̳͈̰̝͈̳̠̹̬ͭͫ͊ͯ̃͘ͅȟ̸̙̥͈̙͎̭̱̰̪̯͉̣̲̜͕͓́̍̄ͦ͘͠t͚͖̪̤̼͚̟̎ͥ̅̆ͥ̀́͢͜s̶̨̘͕̖̘̮̠̹͍̗̣̱͇͈̥̤̗͍̜̊̒̅͋̄ͯ̒̄̍ͭͥ͆̊̏́ ̨͓̤̭̠͚̦͓̹͕̹̥̼̳̤ͤ̇͂ͤ̉̒͋̄͑́̃͊̄͌̒̐̀͟͜ȁ̴̶͉̫̲̙̘͚͔͇̩̤͙̙̙̤ͯͥͤͭ̚͢͠g͈̫̝̥̯̎́̂̌̈̂ͪ͐ͧͤ̀̚͘ͅọ̶̶̶̺̜̜̺̞̑̈̿̇͆̃͛́̍̊ͨ̄ͩ̍̿̉̌ͦn̢̨̨̜̣̥̳̠͎̰͚̲̯̺̹̩̒͆̒͆ͩ̽̾ͤ͗͆̒͑̓ͥͣ͊͜y͈̟̖̖̳̲̔ͭͮͫ͆̓ͣ̓͟
̧̩͕̮̻̣̠̪ͪ̃ͮ͛̾̉̐̾͆̿͗̓͞ͅa̐̑̓̄̈͏̧͙͈̭̦̙̳͓̮̲͖̼͜n̴̨̍̆̾ͭ͗̚͏̡̘̼̯̗d̢̡̞̦̞̞͗̒͂͂ͭ̈̽̉ͣ̕͘͜ ͬ̍͐ͮ͌͑̓ͫ̏͛̓̂́̚͝҉̝͉͔̟̻͔̠͙p̺͔͇̺͚̰͙̝͈̖̭͚͕̋̾̈͠͞ą͌̾ͣͯ̍̋͗͒̎͗̌̓̿̑̓̄͒̿͘͞҉͓̱̩̀i̢̜̤̬̤̝̤̤̓̅͗̐̎̕͝n̈́̇̏͒̈́ͥͥ͘҉͙̣͙̹͇͓̪͕̝̮̱̗̹̰̲͕͠
͚̤̖̤̤͍̞̈͗̒̆͂̌ͧ̿͂ͬ́͜͢͡ͅ
̧̪̺̦̝͖̗̮̤̩͕̗͖̫͕͙̥̜̜̳͐ͬ͑̈͗ͨ̐͗̀͜͠A͒͒͋ͤ͛͗̍ͩ̓̓̑͗̐̌ͮͬ̍̃͊͏̸̯̙̫̯̞̩͈̫̙̺͔̳̭̼̼̺̠̀͡ͅm̨̭̞̥̙̠͖̲̩̤̙̘̳̰̟͎̺̈́ͩͯ͋̽̽̃̂ȩ͇̙̬̯̫͍̲̭̼̒̑ͭ͑ͫͮ́ͣͩͬ̌̓́͘͜ͅǹ̸̛̯̟̬͔͑̏̿͊ͪ͊̈ͯͨͪ̋͒̆̈́ͭ

Edit: Awww, styleforvm fucked it up. Anyway, good luck with the lobster, mordecai. And I'll remember this threak whenever I will prepare lobsters for the first time.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, mordecai. If you end up buying two or more lobsters, you should definitely use their bodies to make the creamy broth I posted in that link. It is simple and very delicious. I will post the recipe, if you'd like.

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I probably will only buy one to start, but I can save the shell and what is left of the innards. Please poast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads