1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Consider the Lobster

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mordecai, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I was curious about people's thoughts on boiling lobsters. I've heard many arguments about why it is not as inhumane as boiling, say, a rabbit alive, but I still have moral hangups that prevent me from doing it or from really eating lobster, though I love it. This article by the late David Foster Wallace is long but sums up some of my concerns well. http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000...er_the_lobster Some quotes, though I could quote most of the article as relevant to my feelings on the matter:
    So is your cooking and eating of lobster defensible, convenient, or not a concern at all?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

after boiling hundreds of them, doesnt concern me in the slightest

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Defensible. I mean I step on cockroaches because I fear they may...continue moving in my house. At least the lobster will have served a purpose. Also, lobsters are essentially the sea's cockroaches

4. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

I like when the air escapes out of their shell... Makes it sound like they are screaming.

5. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't cook much lobster, but i do cook a lot of dungeness crab. you ever been bitten by one of those things? it's kill or be killed my son.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I do it, but killing them with a knife results in better lobster. It's just sort of gross.

7. mordecai

i don't cook much lobster, but i do cook a lot of dungeness crab. you ever been bitten by one of those things? it's kill or be killed my son.
    Perhaps it is best to stay out of the Dungen?
    I do it, but killing them with a knife results in better lobster. It's just sort of gross.
    Matt claims the opposite. I don't really have a problem with this method.

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

just how much suffering are you willing to take???

9. kwilkinson

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think the author would have a point if we were boiling Aztecs.

11. mordecai

None of you chuckle-heads have read the article. You should, he's a great writer. I also think that being sent to cover a lobster festival and then turning in a short dissertation on the morality of cooking lobster is great.
    I think the author would have a point if we were boiling Aztecs.
    Have you done sous-vide on a living lobster yet? That's gotta suck.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

13. mordecai

I am hoping to make it my breakdown thread. Thank you for your contribution.

14. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm with manton on this one ... when i do cook lobster, i usually do the old chef's knife right behind the eyes thing. tried it side-by-side once (yes, this is my job) and it may have been imaginary, but it seemed the meat was a little more tender.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

None of you chuckle-heads have read the article.

Yes, I have. The whole book even.

16. Piobaire

Have you done sous-vide on a living lobster yet? That's gotta suck.

My machine is not big enough to fit an Aztec.

I have heard that lobster tail sous vide can be very good. Poached in truffle oil. [​IMG]

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

None of you chuckle-heads have read the article. You should, he's a great writer. I also think that being sent to cover a lobster festival and then turning in a short dissertation on the morality of cooking lobster is great.

(...)

I read the article and thought it was great...but have never cooked a lobster, nor do I plan to. I have boiled a few hundred pounds of crawfish though, pretty much the same cooking method as far as I can discern. Actually, my cousin (in Jolly London now) suggested I eat crawfish with butter like you would with a lobster, but it's such a major hassle, finding forks small enough to spear the crawfish tails, then de-veining them and don't even get me started on the etiquette of cutting them into even smaller pieces when they're already pretty tiny. It all seemed kinda twee.

Oh, and there is no way you're going to convince me that I should kill all the crawfish with a knife before boiling them.

18. kwilkinson

i have seen someone put a live lobster in a chamber vac. unnecessarily cruel and inhumane. i have a lot of thought on the subject but will wait til i get to a real computer to type them

19. mordecai

Oh, and there is no way you're going to convince me that I should kill all the crawfish with a knife before boiling them.
    The age old debate between humanity and efficiency...I suppose I'd do the same thing, and I actually probably will at some point soon eat lobster that was boiled to death. But it will be a matter of convenience for me to do so. I think it is crewel.

20. Piobaire

i have seen someone put a live lobster in a chamber vac. unnecessarily cruel and inhumane. i have a lot of thought on the subject but will wait til i get to a real computer to type them

How long did it take you to clean up the resultant mess?