• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative/recommended Scabal books

tazmaniac

Reaction score
To the cloth buffs out there: If you had to choose among Scabal cloths for a conservative business dress suit, dark grey or navy, plain weave, sharkskin or other conservative weaves in a 3 season weight, what books would you recommend?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a cloth expert, but having just looked through many books iirc the Heroic bunch was simple/not glossy...it is 280gms.

In the style of our first Super 100’s collection, brought out in 1967, which was Scabal’s first Super 100’s ever ; Scabal comes now with a modern version. Lighter and with new designs but complying with the same high quality standard and with the special soft finish, the new collection offers a fashionable, elegant look. For this Scabal has abandoned out all the newfangled and controversial chemical substances and relies on approved natural traditional treatments. With 61 articles and a diversified combination of high fashionable light stripes and checks, designs with very strong contrasts, modern micro-designs, semi-plains and elegant discreet dark shades, the collection offers real versatility.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably Noble House. If you want conservative business dress, why are you going with Scabal? Harrison's/Lesser is probably more boring- Scabal is more known for "designer" cloths.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Meeting a new tailor at Scabal's. I didn't want to complicate matters for the first suit. Thank you for the recommendations. The Heroic book looks reasonably old-fashioned...
wink.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eton, 130's for light weight 8 ounce

Royal, multiple books for 9 ounce cloth

Just in Time or St. James for 10 ounce cloth

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The only conservative Scabal book I've ever seen is Shetland.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riverside - if you are looking for a Super 120s, Eton - if you are looking for a Super 130s

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The only conservative Scabal book I've ever seen is Shetland.
laugh.gif
Well ,by your definition of conservative....

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Thank you all. I guess I will have to see the finishes in person. The patterns seem conservative enough, no? Despos, are these English-made cloths, do you know? Edit: At least some of the patterns...
wink.gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your going to Scabal take a look at the Westminster book. This is English made.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most of their cloths are woven at Bower and Roebuck in Huddersfield. you would have to ask about exceptions to this.

in the Heroic book, look at 702923, blue herringbone or 702893 postman blue bird's eye

haven't used this cloth but like the look of these two

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big Ben for (colder) three seasons. Conservative, but too heavy for normal people.

BigBen701383.jpg

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
in the Heroic book, look at 702923, blue herringbone or 702893 postman blue bird's eye

haven't used this cloth but like the look of these two

i like your choices.

also, i like 702927 - blue pick & pick.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Great choices. Thanks a lot for the helpful responses!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics