• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Dressing- Done right

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-That is a basic PS fold, you'll find it on Brooks Brothers website, Flusser's books and most other style references to PS's.
-Trust me, seeing him in person when he lifts his arm nothing will rise up above his head. That is a very high armholes and barely any shoulder padding. It's an "extended point-to-point drape" like any other soft suit.

As for other comments I am shocked people think they are flamboyant. Striped suits are not over the top and pinning collars is something I've personally seen with older men, mostly southern. As for contrast collars I do think that is a safe conservative option. I really say that without my own style baring on it; it is a staple American item.

The thing is with the utmost respect I think that some Americans cling to the epoch of their tailoring style which is probably the 30s. These clothes look quite dated and flamboyant rather than conservative these days. They used to be conservative and they used to be worn by older conservative men but now I think the signifiers have just about moved on.

All these stark colors and stripes do not signify conservative to me. Thats not to say i don't like them, however its not my style.

This is me doing a modern conservative suit and look that I think is done right:

Very conservative dressers could lose the square.

Im putting that up because I think theres too much of people saying things are wrong but not showing others what they feel is right. Of course everything about clothing is really opinion and attitude so you should just take my posts as such.

I have sent a gazillion people to your store recently for collar bars, been doing an awful lot of custom shirts that take them.

Last edited:

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Josh Cooper Ramo is maybe a more agreeable example. He wears Kiton exclusively.

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
aristotle_onassis.jpg.290x445_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Onassis - king of the blue suit/black tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads