1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Conservative Business Dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

That would be Naked Lunch which just doesn't jive with the threads, mack.

Naked Lunch is significant only in that it provided the name for the seminal jazz/rock fusion band Steely Dan.

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

His isn't a conditional sentence (there is no conditional cause-and-effect), but rather an irrealis sentence using the subjunctive.
    Those damn Israelis. Troublemakers I tell you.

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Those damn Israelis. Troublemakers I tell you.

Actually, I think he was talking about surrealists. Troublemakers too.

4. Clio

Clio Member

that is an ultraconservative lawyer tie. In fact, I got if from the general counsel to the John Birch Society in an ebay sale. Printed twill with a dark blue ground and small silver and royal blue figures; no accent colors.

The John Birch Society? Good thing an unsuspecting African-American buyer didn't get the tie--it might have tried to hang him from a tree.

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

wHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT pOLAND?
    It's a country which surfaces in European history from time to time, but rarely in the same place.

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

So I was at a conference in Bangkok the other week, hanging out with a British expat there and a super cute local girl who is a good friend of mine. She was lamenting how crap her life had become since dumping this Polish dude a couple months back. Her: ahh shit, maybe I should just go back to the Pole Mr Brit: I love it when Thai girls say that. She slapped him then [​IMG]

7. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Matt, is that a picture of them in your avatar?

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

Maybe in yours man [​IMG]

9. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

10. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Manton, two comments:
    1) Gorge too high to be considered 'conservative'
    2) Tie clip.... ?

And who are you telling us how to dress conservatively... being a CAL grad and all.....

11. Soph

Soph Senior member

Is that Trick Magnet Rummy Dazzle I see?

That is what happens when one tries to apply what he learns from reading TheSuit.[​IMG]

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe this is just a joke that I am not in on but I think that the abrasiveness of your language defeats the actual purpose of conservative business dress in whichever environment you chose to wear it in. It's a state of mind to a certain extent or at least should be.

Here's a tip for you, K-Man, free of charge. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

13. Manton

Thank you my friend. I agree that Manton's collar is a bit swish, but what do you expect from a media type.

I'm supposed to take advice on Conservative Business Dress from a guy who wears a purple overcoat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that you are likely wearing suspenders. That is not conservative at all. It is either fancy-Dan Englishman, or it is backwoods hick. Neither of those two poles is conservative.
    How would you know? Did I take my jacket off? Would I ever do something so un-conservative, so disrespectful to my colleagues? How my trousers stay up is a private matter, between my, my tailor, and God. So butt out.

14. Manton

but rather an irrealis sentence

Jesus, I looked this up, and it's actually a real concept. What kind of dried up pedant loser actually know that?

15. Manton

Yeah, Pollack jokes are totally beyond the pale here.

If I can't make fun of kencpollock, I'm quiting the forum.

16. Soph

Soph Senior member

Suspenders always remind me of Uncle Jesse from the Dukes rereuns:
    [​IMG]

17. Manton

1) Gorge too high to be considered 'conservative'

I don't take sartorial advice from decadent, childless Europeans who take eighteen weeks of vacation every month. Get your birthrates up, your economic output above Zimbabwe's, grow a sack, then we'll talk.

I said, clear as day, if the tie clip was too much for you scared little kittens, ditch it and go the ultraconservative route.

Once again, a reading comprehension failure. Pay attention, Little Dutch Boy:

Goddamnit, what do I need to do to get through to you people? This thread is not about POLITICAL CONSERVATISM. This is about Conservative Business Dress, which is bipartisan and apolitical.

18. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

What kind of dried up pedant loser actually know that?

Now? You. Congratulations.

19. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Ann Coulter has nothing on Manton.

Soph, You'll need to place a comma after "nothing on" if you want to excite him.

20. Soph

Soph Senior member

Manton you do realize you could have bought 2 small Asian children instead of those 2 Alex "The Great" custom shirts.