• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Shirt: Solid white broadcloth, medium spread collar, not too dashingly open, not too mafia-closed. Note the button cuffs. NEVER wear French cuffs.

Manton, I see that you are showing perfect shirt sleeve cuff beneath the suit... that is NOT conservative I think. Less than 1 in 50 men wear it like that. I would say it has to be some what half-assed to be genuinely conservative. You know... like one sleeve showing & the other one not. Or much better if none of them are showing.

But what else can you expect from a man who thinks wearing black shoes with brown suits is "ok"

That said, terrific advice in this thread.

my regards

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
...Who would have thought that manton was on meds? One day passes without them and look what happens...
devil.gif

Hey Manton, is it ok for men to call me peaches? Or would that be my ruin in a conservative business environment?
bounce2.gif

Peaches is ok - peaches though, well that is just plain wrong. Manton?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
thkis thread is justr a mean joke but worse is thgat SUIT so many peopel here like to make fuun of JOS BANK but their suits probably cost half the price of thiis rumpl ed crap

Huh?

Had a bit to drink mate?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Huh?

Had a bit to drink mate?

Actually I think he has not had enough to drink yet...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf, I get away from the computer for a few hours, and you dickweeds are talking about commas and apostrophes instead of conservative business dress?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the UCBD hairstyle?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
...Who would have thought that manton was on meds? One day passes without them and look what happens...
devil.gif
Hey Manton, is it ok for men to call me peaches? Or would that be my ruin in a conservative business environment?
bounce2.gif

Only if you're a Fatherfucker.

gehrig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
I don't know how anyone could get the idea that conservative business dress has anything to do with a monochrome loo

Totally agree, a monochrome look stands out too much to be conservative business dress. Totally acceptable for business but it's making an 'i know how to do the plain but stylish look right' statement that's a bit too ostentatious to be conservative business dress.

This has been asked before, but what color shoes fit under the conservative business dress umbrella? Black only for UCBD (I assume), but how light of a brown (if any) can be used before conservative business dress is broken?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Leather single soles. The better for *****footing around superiors and strangers alike, while not drawing notice or criticism..

Unless your work environs are exclusively carpeted, you had best affix an unobtrusively thin layer of rubber to your soles so as to avoid the ostentatious clatter of leather upon marble or terrazzo surfaces.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
Manton, I see that you are showing perfect shirt sleeve cuff beneath the suit... that is NOT conservative I think. Less than 1 in 50 men wear it like that. I would say it has to be some what half-assed to be genuinely conservative. You know... like one sleeve showing & the other one not. Or much better if none of them are showing.
This is a good point, and should be added to the conservative business dress canon.

But what else can you expect from a man who thinks wearing black shoes with brown suits is "ok"
Don't confuse the issue. I never said black shoes with a brown suit was conservative business dress. I said it was AAED (Apparel Arts Elegant Dress):

brown3pcflussersuitblksvt4.jpg

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

that is an ultraconservative lawyer tie. In fact, I got if from the general counsel to the John Birch Society in an ebay sale.

icon_falloff.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads