• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conserative businss dress

Kasper

Reaction score
someone else here must share my prrofessionalism, my passion for approipate business dress. thej way it SHould be done. H

ellpe me here guys .

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think only AA can help you now.

EDIT: I'm not good at being a dick. Allow me to answer your alcoholic plea with sobriety. There are plenty of people here who are interested in, even passionate about, classic men's clothing. But I think most of the posters are also interested in keeping the place lively lest it become too stodgy. The wisecracks, the irony, and the banter serve this purpose, as well as reminding one another that we have lives beyond our wardrobes. Stop taking yourself so seriously; you aren't a lone bulwark against an encroaching tide of philistinism and slovenliness. We're glad you dress up for work; now stop using the phrase "conservative business dress" in every other post and understand that since the interest many members have in clothes is something of a hobby, as well as a means to professionalism, we will occasionally unknot our repp ties and shoot the breeze. Occasionally we may even pose for a picture in our own home in a sportcoat, sans tie (iammatt, I'm looking at you). This is an occasion neither for dismay nor for comments that a tie would really lift the ensemble up a notch on the ladder of conservative business dress.

And if you really feel the need to drown your loneliness in drink, have the decency to mutter your inebriated comments at the television like a normal person, and keep it off the forum. You just may find yourself more appreciated and more respected as a result.

Nota bene to veteran posters: I'm not trying to make myself the mouthpiece of the forum -- but goddamn, somebody had to say this.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You drinking again tonight Kasper?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This guy is un-f'in-believable. To the op, between this, and pushing your ideas regarding stuffing newspaper on shoes and sleeves, and all those posts about "conservative business dress" which is, imo, bordering on the very very absurd, you are starting to become a very annoying troll. May I suggest you go squat somewhere else?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh come on, is it really necessary to communicate this way to tell a fellow member that you disagree with him? I agree that Kasper's constant emphasis on 'conservative business dress' is odd, and that it persists to the point of amusement at times. However, has anyone tried to explain to him that the topic of this forum is not, strictly speaking, 'conservative business dress'?

It's possible Kasper is a troll. But for now, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't attacked anyone, he hasn't been malicious, and he hasn't been rude.

If you really do believe Kasper's emphasis on conservative business dress is undue, then you have an opportunity to share information with someone and persuade him to open his mind. After all, I think it's safe to presume that forums exist for the sake of exchanging information and learning from each other.

Kasper, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are no troll. This forum is not merely about how one should dress to fit in with the standards of 'conservative business dress'. No one ever claimed that such was the case. It's confusing that you keep bringing it up as if it ought to be everyone's interest. Also, you may want to consider that your standards for what you call 'conservative business dress' are not absolute or even correct. There may be more lattitude than you imagine.

However, the bottomline remains, conservative business dress is not the sole topic of this forum. I think others should be willing to entertain topics having to do with it though because dressing in any manner is relevant to the forum. That being said, it makes you appear single-minded when you refer to conservative business dress even when others are expressly talking about other things.

To answer your original question, I do care about being professional. However, being professional in different situations calls for different standards and decorum. Furthermore, your notion of 'conservative business dress' is far too restricting as compared to what I think is professionally acceptable in the workplace.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
then you have an opportunity to share information with someone and persuade him to open his mind.

I believe some members, including me, have done this on his other threads. I and a lot of folks here have given him the benefit of the doubt in his other threads. I think the threads on newspapers on shoes shows that. If there was anybody that doesn't extend that courtesy, it is he with the way he replies, the way he post, and the way he insists on himself being on the right side of things. Come on! I think I'm not the only one here who smells something fishy when a guy comes in and asserts proudly he gets, nay steals, newspapers in Starbucks.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Kasper, I recommend you order two books, Dress For Success and New Dress For Success by John T. Molloy.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Kasper
someone else here must share my prrofessionalism, my passion for approipate business dress. thej way it SHould be done. H

ellpe me here guys .

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I believe some members, including me, have done this on his other threads. I and a lot of folks here have given him the benefit of the doubt in his other threads. I think the threads on newspapers on shoes shows that. If there was anybody that doesn't extend that courtesy, it is he with the way he replies, the way he post, and the way he insists on himself being on the right side of things. Come on! I think I'm not the only one here who smells something fishy when a guy comes in and asserts proudly he gets, nay steals, newspapers in Starbucks.
Yeah, and c'mon, we're all guilty of the occasional typo, and some of us are more careful than others, but does someone with "a passion for professionalism" hit the 'submit' button on something like this?
Originally Posted by Kasper
someone else here must share my prrofessionalism, my passion for approipate business dress. thej way it SHould be done. H ellpe me here guys .
The trollishness becomes more and more evident with each passing day.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
I think only AA can help you now.

Alcoholics Anonymous or Ask Andy?

(I keed, Andy, I keed!)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kasper's cornball act has grown very thin. Time to dream up a new character dude.

K-Man

Reaction score
I would like to apologize for my conduct in my original post as it was totally inappropriate and it does go against my personal belief system. From this point on I have committed to myself a two beers limit per day as it is obvious that I cannot handle any more in respect to living up to the professional conduct that I so often refer to.

As for the comments about my taking the newspapers at Starbucks I would like to paste what I posted in the "Why I am leaving thread" so you can better understand my point of view:

Lastly for those who have accused me of stealing newspapers from Starbucks, that is not the case as I have only taken the papers discarded by those who have purchased them. I even went as far as asking a manager at one Starbucks about the issue and he said that I was actually doing him a favor as his staff was busy enough, and by my taking the papers it encouraged others to buy their own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads