1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Consequences when trying to avoid custom charges by indicating a lower value...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 40kaas-nl, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 40kaas-nl

40kaas-nl Senior member

Hi all,

I frequently buy items over the internet from people outside the EU. When the value of the item is above €25 or so Dutch customs sometimes charges VAT and custom charges... [​IMG]

When I ask sellers to indicate the value is lower than what I actually paid this almost never seems a problem? And even when they open the parcel I think it would be quite difficult to accurately determine the value of clothing?

But are there any penalties for me or the seller when they suspect you intentionally provided false information about the value?

Thanks!

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

3. 40kaas-nl

40kaas-nl Senior member

You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

That is true but most items are not that valuable and it really sucks to pay €35 custom charges when you bought a 80 USD pair of pants for example...

And I experienced that things rarely get lost, it is a calculated risk I think [​IMG]

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

aside from defrauding the federeal government?

5. 40kaas-nl

40kaas-nl Senior member

aside from defrauding the federeal government?

No, I think that is just the part I am interested in [​IMG] Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?

6. globetrotter

No, I think that is just the part I am interested in [​IMG] Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?

if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

They can revise the value at customs but I doubt you'll have to pay a penalty, never seen it in any country I've received/sent packages but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

8. 40kaas-nl

40kaas-nl Senior member

if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.

I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

9. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

Hypothetically.

I think the value of used stuff is only as much as you payed for them. So I think in an extreme case if the transaction is tracked, it is possible.

10. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

that's not true...
    UPS can insure an item for more than it's declared value.

11. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

^ so can royal mail.

K

12. globetrotter

even less likely - essentially he isn't breaking a US law, he is breaking a dutch law. but, the US government could look at it unfavorably, because it shows a willingness to break laws, and could get him investigated for tax things.

we get requests all the time for this type of thing.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Worst case is that he would be snatched off the street and shipped to Guantanamo. It's not that common when you just understate the value. Marking it as a gift, however................