• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conne's food log

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm under the impression they don't support hypertrophy compared to complete proteins, although I'm guessing it makes negligible difference on Conne if his idea of working up a sweat is playing air drums along with Art Blakey.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm under the impression they don't support hypertrophy compared to complete proteins, although I'm guessing it makes negligible difference on Conne if his idea of working up a sweat is playing air drums along with Art Blakey.

The liver maintains sufficient levels of all 20 amino acids, so a protein's 'completeness' is really only a measure of its structural amino acid congruency with the amino acid structure of the reassembled proteins. In other words, some sources of protein contain an excessive amount of an amino acid the body might not need and are consequently converted into energy. The 'complete' proteins are just as capable of containing excess amino acids as 'incomplete' proteins -- the 'excess' is really not easily quantifiable. Most Americans get enough protein in their diet, although Conne might not unless he supplements with a few more visits to the ***** spigot.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Where's the protein?

From the Five Guys Ding Dongs.

(Yes I am late to the party, couldn't resist)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
'Belief' is a great way to describe it.

Proof is in the pudding (no carb). 43#'s and the couple of abnormal labs well within normal referencing now. I know many people that did not carefully add tons of veggies, leaner proteins, some highly complex carbs, and the occasional splurge day and ended up fatter and with gout. All the empirical data I can gather, from my resting pulse dropping to 52 (was in the 40s when I was fitter and younger), my blood pressure (116/78 the other day) my energy level, my weight, and three sets of lab draws in the last several months.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today's log, 3/6/10

3 scrambled eggs, salt & pepper
Handful of blueberries
12 oz. or so of orange juice
1 cup black coffee
1 slice mulitgrain toast w/PB

3 PM:
mesquite turkey (.15 lb or so), spinach, tomato, sun dried cranberries, vermont cheddar on multigrain
6 oz. organic strawberry yogurt
1 Coca Cola Zero

1 Kashi TLC bar (cereal bar)
1 banana

1 can Amy's Southwestern Vegetable soup
1 chicken breast, grilled, w/lemon, pepper and lots of spinach with olive oil/balsamic

3 reduced fat Chips Ahoy cookies

Had water with dinner and a few gulps of milk.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Proof is in the pudding (no carb). 43#'s and the couple of abnormal labs well within normal referencing now. I know many people that did not carefully add tons of veggies, leaner proteins, some highly complex carbs, and the occasional splurge day and ended up fatter and with gout. All the empirical data I can gather, from my resting pulse dropping to 52 (was in the 40s when I was fitter and younger), my blood pressure (116/78 the other day) my energy level, my weight, and three sets of lab draws in the last several months.

You're no longer a gluttonous semi-human slob and that's evidence of a miraculous metabolic panacea. C'mon.

I like you, but you sound stupid espousing this 'low carb' sermon on every thread. Congratulations on going from 250lbs. to just above 200. Lots of people lose weight on many different diets. Yours isn't anything magical or special.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've once lost mad weight before on a protein bar diet. Would not recommend it to anyone.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're no longer a gluttonous semi-human slob and that's evidence of a miraculous metabolic panacea. C'mon. I like you, but you sound stupid espousing this 'low carb' sermon on every thread. Congratulations on going from 250lbs. to just above 200. Lots of people lose weight on many different diets. Yours isn't anything magical or special.
Aren't most successful diets a success because they restrict calories? Short of eating only 1800 calories worth of ice cream every day and dropping to a normal weight, does it really matter what "diet" you're on as long as it creates a deficit and feeds your body well enough? It's funny because in every other part of the world that I know of, people just eat a bit less of what they normally eat to lose weight. Conne; Why do you eat chips ahoy? They taste like ******* ****. They had these rat turd like chocolate chips with this batter that closely resembles dry dog food. Far too sweet, not tasty, total ****. Go to Wholefoods (or better yet, some good local bakery) and get one good chocolate chip cookie instead. You'll feel more full, it will be more like a treat, and you don't have to buy a huge carton of them. I also think you eat too much for breakfast. Coca cola zero is ******* revolting. If you're going to drink coke, drink the real ******* thing like once a week. It amazes me the total **** that people will drink. Ask yourself, does it even taste good? Do you really want to drink something that is probably one part removed from some type of industrial cleaning solution?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Aren't most successful diets a success because they restrict calories? Short of eating only 1800 calories worth of ice cream every day and dropping to a normal weight, does it really matter what "diet" you're on as long as it creates a deficit and feeds your body well enough?

There are some weird diets throughout history that people went on and had success with. Lord Byron had massive weight fluctuations (losing almost a hundred pounds to go down to 140lbs. or so by drinking vinegar), and I think William the Conqueror ate almost no food and pretty much drank a bunch of ale to lose weight. These aren't nutritionally ideal at all, but they did produce weight loss.

It's funny because in every other part of the world that I know of, people just eat a bit less of what they normally eat to lose weight.

Pretty much. I was going to say this elsewhere, but it sounds pretentious to people that don't understand: when my cousin's came with my family to Italy for a summer and said he was a vegetarian, my father didn't even know how to translate it and had to get a friend to translate it to people that had us over their houses. In bigger cities they knew of the concept, but to these older people the idea was just so strange that most of them ignored it and the ones that did cater to him would often just not give him a plate for the second course or pick the meat out of his pasta.

Conne;

Why do you eat chips ahoy? They taste like ******* ****. They had these rat turd like chocolate chips with this batter that closely resembles dry dog food. Far too sweet, not tasty, total ****. Go to Wholefoods (or better yet, some good local bakery) and get one good chocolate chip cookie instead. You'll feel more full, it will be more like a treat, and you don't have to buy a huge carton of them. I also think you eat too much for breakfast.

Coca cola zero is ******* revolting. If you're going to drink coke, drink the real ******* thing like once a week. It amazes me the total **** that people will drink. Ask yourself, does it even taste good? Do you really want to drink something that is probably one part removed from some type of industrial cleaning solution?

I was going to post this too. I don't understand why people willingly pay money for something that not only tastes like crap, ruins their taste for other foods, and then pay even more to run it off on a treadmill or some other contraption after the box of cookies manifests itself as a lovehandle.

Conne, have some respect for yourself. You wear a pocket square and leather soles and snack on Chips Ahoy.

I can imagine such a person unloading their groceries onto the self check-out. One sagging shoulder heaves a pile of pre-made soups and snacks onto the conveyor belt. The soup can is misplaced and falls on its side, rolling past the cashier), the customer hurriedly reaches for the can to stop it, dropping his wallet in the process, and the annoyed housewife behind him taps her foot impatiently. His cheeks blush, he grabs his receipt from the pitying cashier, and Mr. Chips Ahoy walks out of the supermarket, eyes cast downward, counting the floor tiles during his embarassed exit.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, if you're going to eat something that isn't ideal for weight loss or maintenance, make it worth it. It's incredible how some people will just eat up whatever is dropped in front of them, so long as it's sugary or salty.

Reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan bit where he talks about tasting junk food, immediately realizing it doesn't taste good, and then eating the whole thing, anyway.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cutting out carbs is not that hard after some time, Im a huge carb fan, not only do I make my own beer but bread also but Now the only bread I eat is half a bagel w/ peanut butter or cream cheese a few days a week. You just can't be idiotic about it, don't put as much cream cheese on as they do in a NY deli, maybe 1/3 that amount.

Instead of a snickers bar eat some dark chocolate, +70%

Ive got a great chocolate chip cookie recipe if you want, and homemade root beer or sasparilla is teh bomb.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why I bought the Chips Ahoy. And you're right; they aren't even good. There are a lot of bakeries around here at which I could get a small treat.

I just threw the Chips Ahoy in the garbage.

Field, re: breakfast. That's too much? I usually feel perfectly satiated but not overstuffed. Perhaps cutting out the toast would be a good idea as I really like to have bread (sandwich) at lunch.

P.S. one addition to today's log: 1.5 tbsp. unsalted peanut butter.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throw away everything that doesn't require preparation and is easily eaten. Never buy it again. If it isn't worth preparing, it probably isn't worth eating or worth the price paid at the supermarket.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yeah, I don't know why I bought the Chips Ahoy. And you're right; they aren't even good. There are a lot of bakeries around here at which I could get a small treat. I just threw the Chips Ahoy in the garbage. Field, re: breakfast. That's too much? I usually feel perfectly satiated but not overstuffed. Perhaps cutting out the toast would be a good idea as I really like to have bread (sandwich) at lunch. P.S. one addition to today's log: 1.5 tbsp. unsalted peanut butter.
If you do eat bread you should probably do it at breakfast or lunch, if you struggle with weight. Dude, you just have to learn, everything you eat should usually be high quality. If you crave a pastry, get something good. Favor a high fat, smaller portion to a box full of "reduced fat" bullshit that tastes like prison food. I would NEVER discourage someone from eating a small portion of something really great. Maybe not if you need to drop a lot of weight, but maintaining it for sure. Again, this is about living your life and enjoying it, and never feel like you are compromising. Why re: Vegetarians No joke, I have a Japanese friend who tried being vegetarian for half a year while at school. When he went home for break and said to his family at dinner about his new diet, his mom slowly lowered the serving plate, put her hand in front of her mouth and asked "son, are you gay?" It really does sound pretentious what me and Why are talking about, but what most of you are talking about ie. low carbs and all that other **** is an extremely american idea, and this is one of those times where "american" would have to be a negative term. I don't know why americans are so ******* dumb about food, and the ones who aren't dumb are just being misled.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you I'd take out the OJ before I took out the toast. Also, why do you include that you added salt and pepper to your eggs but omit that you scrambled them in olive oil?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads