• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Connecticut or Seattle?

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Which is worse? Living in greater Connecticut or Seattle for the next 2 years? Jobs offers, etc. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest.
 

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
14,670
Reaction score
1,905
East coast's job market is probably better. You will also have less depression.
 

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Eason
East coast's job market is probably better. You will also have less depression.

Seattle is a nice city, though. Does Connecticut have anything that can compare? I've never really been to the East Coast. Will I be stuck in some 1980s Robin Williams New England hell?
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Seattle is a nice city, though. Does Connecticut have anything that can compare? I've never really been to the East Coast. Will I be stuck in some 1980s Robin Williams New England hell?
Depends. What part of Connecticut? I grew up in southern CT (Fairfield county), and while it has its limitations, I'm located only about 45 minutes from NYC, which is pretty convenient. The towns of Westport and Southport are really nice during the summertime. Good beaches, some nice restaurants, golf courses, and pretty good shopping on the Post Road and Greenwich Ave. Again, I think it depends on what part of Connecticut you're moving to.
 

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Probably, the New Britain area. I'll get back to you after the second interview. Really though, what is the cultural experience like compared to the contemporary blindness the West Coast favors? I have no idea what is like to live within a history spanning more than 100 years. Do you know what that's like?
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
7
I used to play travel baseball when I was a kid, and let's just say that New Britain is definitely not one of the more attractive parts of the state. If you were relocating to a city more in the southern part of the state, like Stamford or Norwalk, then I think you'd be able to enjoy more of the good things Connecticut has to offer.

As far as the cultural experience, you definitely feel it more in certain towns than others. But the variation of more modernized towns, like Fairfield and Darien for instance, with more of the historic towns, such as Kent, makes for a nice contrast and change of pace.

Coming from the West Coast, I think you'd fit in best in the "Gold Coast" part of the state.
 

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
14,670
Reaction score
1,905
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Seattle is a nice city, though. Does Connecticut have anything that can compare? I've never really been to the East Coast. Will I be stuck in some 1980s Robin Williams New England hell?
Oh no, no no not at all. More like Steven King.
 

kxk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mm84321
I used to play travel baseball when I was a kid, and let's just say that New Britain is definitely not one of the more attractive parts of the state. If you were relocating to a city more in the southern part of the state, like Stamford or Norwalk, then I think you'd be able to enjoy more of the good things Connecticut has to offer.

As far as the cultural experience, you definitely feel it more in certain towns than others. But the variation of more modernized towns, like Fairfield and Darien for instance, with more of the historic towns, such as Kent, makes for a nice contrast and change of pace.

Coming from the West Coast, I think you'd fit in best in the "Gold Coast" part of the state.


Seconded. I was in New Britain for an internship last summer. When I took the job, having grown up in Boston, I thought that Fairfield County was representative of CT.

NB is definitely not a nice place to be, man. Surprisingly a high amount of crime, a moribund economy, very little culture, etc. People seemed super nice, though, I'll tell you that.
 

level32

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Seattle housing market is in the dumps right now. If you've got a decent job perhaps you can make a move to actually purchasing one at a good time.

Also, I think it depends on the kind of work/companies you're looking for.
 

computerpro3

Senior Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
299
Reaction score
5
New Britain isn't so hot.

However, CT as a whole is just an awesome state. Depending on where you live, you can be 30min from NY, 10min from the beach, 30min from Newport, RI, 45min from Boston, 3 hours from Philly, 2.5 hours from some of the best snowmobiling and skiing in the country (vermont), not that far from Kennebunkport, Maine, etc, etc. The Fairfield county and Greenwich area is great to live in - incredible shopping (Richard's alone is amazing and has an in-store Hermes boutique), awesome dining, great libraries, etc. The climate in CT is great, and you have the most beautiful fall in the country, bar none.

That being said, I wouldn't live in New Britain. You need to be precise where you're looking though; there are some very nice areas near there.
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by computerpro3
New Britain isn't so hot. However, CT as a whole is just an awesome state. Depending on where you live, you can be 30min from NY, 10min from the beach, 30min from Newport, RI, 45min from Boston, 3 hours from Philly, 2.5 hours from some of the best snowmobiling and skiing in the country (vermont), not that far from Kennebunkport, Maine, etc, etc. The Fairfield county and Greenwich area is great to live in - incredible shopping (Richard's alone is amazing and has an in-store Hermes boutique), awesome dining, great libraries, etc. The climate in CT is great, and you have the most beautiful fall in the country, bar none. That being said, I wouldn't live in New Britain. You need to be precise where you're looking though; there are some very nice areas near there.
Richard's is great. Have you been to their other store, Mitchell's, in Westport? Very nice shoe selection.
 

computerpro3

Senior Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
299
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by mm84321
Richard's is great. Have you been to their other store, Mitchell's, in Westport? Very nice shoe selection.

Yes, both are outstanding. They have pretty much the finest RTW of everything - shoes included.
 

Johdus Fanfoozal

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
975
Reaction score
79
If you're wealthy, have a family and enjoy the suburbs, then perhaps Connecticut is a good fit.

Otherwise, it isn't.
 

DGstyles

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Since no one has spoken up about Seattle, I feel that it isn't a bad place to live. If you live in the downtown area, you have a lot of options for shopping, eating, etc. In addition, there are a lot of little eateries in surrounding neighborhoods that I have yet to discover in the near six years I have been living here, and I eat out a lot with the S.O. The housing market is rather lacking right now, but you can get a condo in a newly built luxury building for around $375,000 (1 Bed, 1.5 Bath) in the middle of downtown. You have fresh seafood at your disposal year-round. It's a good place to be for short-term living (under 5 years). I have no intention of living here for the rest of my life, but it has been a nice experience. The only thing is the weather...almost cloudy year-round so stock up on Vitamin D pills to fight depression and energy loss.

You are 2.5 hours from Vancouver, BC, Vancouver Island, Victoria, etc which makes for some nice "out-of-country" trips. You are extremely close to mountains for hiking, skiing, etc. The beach is a 10 minute drive, but due to the weather, is enjoyable for limited amounts of time. You are close to tax free shopping in Portland, Oregon.

Oh crap...you are from Seattle...
 

TRA8324

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
373
Reaction score
2
My GF's family lives in Greenwich. It's a beautiful area. Seattle just seems so miserable.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 141 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 69 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 23 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 26 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,484
Messages
9,199,467
Members
193,209
Latest member
smartlu

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top