• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coniston boot owners - how do they fit?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I got my pair from Brook Brothers in 8 1/2 (my regular Peal size and regular AE size) and I am thinking they might be too big. When wearing them laced up tightly, I feel the most contact around my lower calf/leg while the foot area feels a bit loose. In my other dress boots (Macys store brand), the foot area as well as the lower leg fit snugly.

For those who have the Coniston, did you have to size down at all from your normal size? I am thinking I may need to get the size 8.

Any input would be appreciated.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Conistons in UK 9E, and they fit me very well, even though my feet are slightly on the narrow side ad I'm sometimes an 8.5 in boots. The only other boot I have to compare is the RM Williams Stockman in 9G, and the Coniston is certainly a tighter fit than the RM Williams which are a little large on me.
In general I've found the Conistons true to a 'standard' UK sizing.
If you've worn them and can't exchange you could always put in insoles, which are working for me in my Stockmans.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered pairs from Ben Silver and BB a year ago in an attempt to get a good fit. I'm very hard to fit and need a wide shoe (E or EE). I found the Coniston to run slim. Neither pair worked for me so I returned both.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the BB version in my standard US 10D. When I lace them tightly, I find it very uncomfortable to bend my ankle. So I leave them a little loose on the leg and they are very comfortable. I generally wear them as field boots at horse shows, so my typical sock is an athletic tube sock. There is enough room to be comfortable, but not sloppy. I've attempted to wear wool hunting socks, but my foot won't fit into the boot with them.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 8.5 black conistons that I bought several months ago. I really like them and are very comfortable. No regrets here...now I want to get the cognac color!

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
I got my pair from Brook Brothers in 8 1/2 (my regular Peal size and regular AE size) and I am thinking they might be too big. When wearing them laced up tightly, I feel the most contact around my lower calf/leg while the foot area feels a bit loose. In my other dress boots (Macys store brand), the foot area as well as the lower leg fit snugly.

For those who have the Coniston, did you have to size down at all from your normal size? I am thinking I may need to get the size 8.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem with high boots with lug laces...the vamps, heels and ankles are comfortable, but eventually the top lugs tend to become tight even if I tie them loose...i.e. the bottom laces start to pull on the top. At least, that is what I think is happening.

Here's my solution, which seems to work well. I use a lattice lace on the lugs and tie the shoes on the third lug down. This allows the top two lugs to "give" a little. Below are pics that I hope will explain this more clearly:

IMG_9529-vi.jpg

IMG_9531-vi.jpg

IMG_9531-vi.jpg

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanrensho
I have a similar problem with high boots with lug laces...the vamps, heels and ankles are comfortable, but eventually the top lugs tend to become tight even if I tie them loose...i.e. the bottom laces start to pull on the top. At least, that is what I think is happening.

Here's my solution, which seems to work well. I use a lattice lace on the lugs and tie the shoes on the third lug down. This allows the top two lugs to "give" a little. Below are pics that I hope will explain this more clearly:

IMG_9529-vi.jpg

IMG_9531-vi.jpg

IMG_9531-vi.jpg

I can see from the space between your laces/grommets that your Alden boots fit snugly even before you tighten them up. In the 8.5 Coniston, I have zero space when laced up at their tightest and I still feel some wiggle room. This leads me to believe that I need (at least to try on) an 8.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
the guy was waiting two years for that answer! Thanks for helping him out.

worship.gif
laugh.gif

Vox Populi

Reaction score
How does the C&J "Coniston" compare to the AS "Culford" in terms of quality? Any owners? I think the Culford may edge it slightly - pebble grain not country grain, and the colour is better - rustic burnished, not insipid tan. it also looks more robust. The Coniston is more expensive (Pediwear - £310; AS website - £250). The Coniston felt flimsy - I wouldn't pay £310 for it.

slappy

Reaction score
Based on those pictures Id say the Coniston looks better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads