• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confusion in RL shoes

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been reports that purple label shoes will now be made in Italy rather than in England by EG. I don't know about that but I just saw some RL shoes at Holt Renfrew and think RL are just trying to confuse customers.

The RL Stanton shoe, made in Italy, has Ralph Lauren written in script just like the purple label shoes but has made in Italy rather than England engraved in the sole. To further confuse, the box is purple. It seems RL now distinguishes between the Polo RL shoes, the Ralph Lauren ones like this sullivan and the Stanton (which appears as a Polo and simply Ralph Lauren on their site), and purple label shoes
confused.gif
but seem to mark RL shoes the same as purple label and they come in a purple box.

gj555

Reaction score
Not to take the thread off topic but was wondering what the prices were like for RL shoes at Holts. More than the exchange rate if you were to buy in the US?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Not to take the thread off topic but was wondering what the prices were like for RL shoes at Holts. More than the exchange rate if you were to buy in the US?

They only had the Stanton in black but said they would be getting more. Price is $660 CAD so $550 USD + 20%. This is the beginning of Holts new shoe dept after the end of their partnership with Browns. Besides the usual Prada, Boss and Gucci stuff, I only saw a couple of Canalis and the RL shoe that were of interest. That said, Holts would now be the first and only place in Canada to carry RL shoes AFAIK, which makes it easier for me to try on and buy online
laugh.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
There have been reports that purple label shoes will now be made in Italy rather than in England by EG. I don't know about that but I just saw some RL shoes at Holt Renfrew and think RL are just trying to confuse customers.

The RL Stanton shoe, made in Italy, has Ralph Lauren written in script just like the purple label shoes but has made in Italy rather than England engraved in the sole. To further confuse, the box is purple. It seems RL now distinguishes between the Polo RL shoes, the Ralph Lauren ones like this sullivan and the Stanton (which appears as a Polo and simply Ralph Lauren on their site), and purple label shoes
confused.gif
but seem to mark RL shoes the same as purple label and they come in a purple box.

Seems to work. I'm totally confused. (Just as well, I'm trying to ease hold off on shoe purchases for a bit.)

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are the made in Italy Stantons but the price is more than on the RL website - WTF?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes, Zappos isn't cheaper.

I thought the Stantons were _only_ Made in Italy. It's the Benton (more confusion!) that's similar, but made in England by C&J (and costing $50 more...).

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
For what it is worth...

I was at the Polo store in Chevy Chase a few days ago and the salesman who was helping me said that RL had opened it own shoe factory in Italy so that Ralph could control the entire process from design to manufacturing to retail. He said some shoes would continue to be made in England but many (most?) now will be made in the new factory.

rbjones

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Benton's. They are my first C&J shoes and I am a total convert now, it is sad to see that Polo will no longer use them, I am looking to the next friends and family sale. Speaking of which, when will Polo most likely have their next sale?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize the high esteem that the English, C&J-made, non-EG, RL shoes enjoy this this forum. I compared one of those pairs, a Benton, to the new Italian made Stanton, side by side.

There is NO DIFFERENCE in quality of leather, attention to detail, or construction method. Nostalgia is one thing, but persistent spreading of rumors about lower quality associated with the Italian shoes is unjustified. Go to a store and see for yourself.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
There is NO DIFFERENCE in quality of leather, attention to detail, or construction method. Nostalgia is one thing, but persistent spreading of rumors about lower quality associated with the Italian shoes is unjustified. Go to a store and see for yourself.

If you can tell how well a shoe will age based solely on its appearance on a shelf, you've got a better eye than I do.

I think part of the objection is that changing production to Italy is clearly a cost-cutting move. If that's the case, then where else have corners been cut?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the question of age-ability of a pair of shoes has anything to do with the discussion at hand. If anything, most shoes purchased by forum members will, presumably, age quite well, given the care and attention paid to them.

People often like to refer to the longevity of expensive shoes, but the tried and true method is to wear the shoe everyday and judge. I'm fairly certain that most shoes that are featured on the shoe Appreciation threads are worn rarely, if at all, therefore explaining the apparent "longevity"

To automatically allow that a move of production facility from one country to another represent a "cost-cutting move" is quite an assumption.

I certainly will not be able to predict how well the new Italian made RL shoes will wear and fare, but based upon my examination and cross comparison with the English made shoes, I stand by my assertion that there is no change in apparent quality.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I certainly will not be able to predict how well the new Italian made RL shoes will wear and fare

Perhaps that's part of the objection? And if moving production to Italy isn't saving Ralph money, why bother? I can't imagine he's paying more, can you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads