• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confused college student

regald

Reaction score
Alot of people my age (19-20) go for the Nick Lachey look or they don't care. I see alot of people wearing Ralph Lauren Polo shirts with Abercrombie and Fitch shorts. I've browsed this forum for a while and I see more formal type clothing discussions. I'm wondering if anyone has any style advice?

I'm trying to be myself, but it's summer and I'm prone to wearing cargo shorts and a polo shirt. Many of my friends don't care and just wear basketball shorts with a t-shirt. I've boughten some shirts at banana republic and express before, as my budget is limited. I'm more so looking for just casual clothes.

I purchased Dressing the man by Alan Flusser last summer, I admire the color distinctions and how they relate to dress and overall apperance, but alot of emphasis is put on formal wear again.

I actually admired some of the Armani Exchange shirts last year, but I've read those are a no-no. I also looked into the Purple line by Ralph Lauren but that may be too expensive.

What direction should I go?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which university do you attend? How is the weather? What is the culture like, mostly frat boys, hippies, emos, etc? Is there any sub-culture with which you identify or from which you would like to borrow a few styles? I do agree that dressing too formally may make you stand out a bit too much (OK, so there is such a thing as overdressing). Perhaps the first thing you should investigate is the button-down shirt. There are many excellent colors, fabrics and patterns that are great for the summer. You'll also be able to integrate those items with your existing wardrobe as you can wear them untucked, sleeves rolled up with shorts and cargos. Banana Republic is currently carrying some very nice solid colored shirts in pink, yellow and pale green. I don't necessarily recommend buying from them, but it would be at least worth trying them on so you can get a better idea of what you like. Since I am in a similar situation, as I'm a college student as well (at the University of Texas) I could go on and on, but it would quickly turn into an essay on my own personal tastes. So consider my above suggestions and decide for yourself what you like.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic made in India/Cambodia/buy on sale only
Armani Exchange made in India/wears out fast/don't bother

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I guess the question is, what are you doing this summer? If you're doing some sort of an internship or have a job, you'll want to dress appropriately for that position. If you're just hanging out by the pool, then who cares - although you still might want to dress to impress (the ladies that is).

Off the top of my head, I'm going to say that Purple Label is definitely too expensive. If you need suits and ties, search through the forum and you'll see how you can do it quite nicely and for much cheaper. Getting suckered into brand names is one thing I encourage you to avoid. A cheaper suit that fits you well and added touches like a pocket square will make you stand out in most situations - you don't need to spend thousands of dollars.

As for casual clothing - I say determine a style that you like and do it well. If you're preppy - go for it. If you want to look like Nick Lachey (I don't really know how he dresses) than do that. Just give whatever look you have your own personal style.

That my $.02 - and if you're curious, I'm a 37-yr-old male who wears a suit to the office once in a while but just spent the entire weekend decked out in a ringer t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip-flops.

Bradford

sam

Reaction score
You ask a broad question, but here you go:

Jeans
T-shirt

Seriously. Unless you want to spend a lot of time washing and ironing your shirts/slacks, go for the lower mainteance option. (Especially if you're fit.) Check out the "10 Best Jeans", "Online Tee-shirt Boutique" and "Streetwear Essential" threads.

regald

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm not really doing anything this summer but hanging out. The weather is really warm in the summer.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm not really doing anything this summer but hanging out. The weather is really warm in the summer.
How about some nicer casual clothing? Some linen pants, either in the looser drawstring variety, or the slimmer-fitting trouser style (a little more dressy). I also recommend button-front linen shirts.

You'll be able to find these at Express/Banana Republic/Gap for reasonable prices. Quality is decent for the price. I doubt you'll want them to last for 10 years anyway. If you live by any outlet malls, you can find some nicer designer pieces at about what a Banana Republic shirt retails for.

Also, I'd invest in some nicer jeans if you haven't done so already. Paper Denim & Cloth and Jean Paul Da'Mage are personal favorites of mine. Retail is around $180 but I've been able to find them at Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack/Saks Outlet for $40-$70. They'll last you a while.

bch

Reaction score
Who's Nick Lachey, and what does he wear?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's Nick Lachey, and what does he wear?
Nick Lachey is the quintessential American Jackass, living the American Jackass dream. He lives in a huge, tacky house with all the trimmings, including Jessica Simpson, who *must* be on the top ten most attractive women of nearly every American Jackass. He wears stripey and some True Religions when he has to leave his house, but otherwise lounges in ringer tees or polo shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops, all the while maintaining the perfect American Jackass hair. He must be altogether a very happy man.

bch

Reaction score
(bch @ May 16 2005,15:49) Who's Nick Lachey, and what does he wear?
Nick Lachey is the quintessential American Jackass, living the American Jackass dream. He lives in a huge, tacky house with all the trimmings, including Jessica Simpson, who *must* be on the top ten most attractive women of nearly every American Jackass. He wears stripey and some True Religions when he has to leave his house, but otherwise lounges in ringer tees or polo shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops, all the while maintaining the perfect American Jackass hair. He must be altogether a very happy man.
Oh, he's the guy with the talentless, bimbo-looking wife, that ABC/Disney has been desperately trying to convince America to watch? I seem to remember a "variety" show (ala "Sonny & Cher") that thankfully lasted 2 episodes. I've seen the commercials. Yeah, he seems much the jackass. Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
 He wears stripey and some True Religions when he has to leave his house, but otherwise lounges in ringer tees or polo shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops,
Oh crap - I've adopted the Nick Lachey look and I didn't even realize it
biggrin.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I have nothing against Nick Lachey - I just thought it was funny that I seem to have adopted the same look on the weekends.

When my wife and I watched some of those Newlywed shows last year, we actually thought he came across better than Jessica Simpson. He actually seemed sort of normal and down to earth and my wife swears that he will age much better than she will.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, Bradford, didn't mean to imply you were part of the backlash. I've just seen a lot of vitriol in this thread, and elsewhere, toward Mr. Lachey. I have no great fondness for him, but I can't say I understand the animosity, at least in terms of fashion sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads