• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confidentially applying for a job

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gut is getting twisted about this decision.

I know there's a new group formed that does work more closely related to my interests. Unfortunately, the group is somewhat affiliated with my firm (I think we have a controlling interest in them).

Anyway I wanted to email the guy that runs the group and see if he'd be willing to meet for a quick chat about what they do and what they're looking for. WTF can I do to make sure nobody in my group finds out? The last thing I need in this economy is to make myself a target and get axed but I don't know when a position like this might open up again.

Thoughts?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call someone you know in that group. If you don't know anyone there, try to think of someone you trust, who knows the group head and could test the waters for you.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
My gut is getting twisted about this decision.

I know there's a new group formed that does work more closely related to my interests. Unfortunately, the group is somewhat affiliated with my firm (I think we have a controlling interest in them).

Anyway I wanted to email the guy that runs the group and see if he'd be willing to meet for a quick chat about what they do and what they're looking for. WTF can I do to make sure nobody in my group finds out? The last thing I need in this economy is to make myself a target and get axed but I don't know when a position like this might open up again.

Thoughts?

Keep it off email. Depending on how well you know how well you know the guy that runs the group, I'd maybe send out feelers rather than contact directly. I would approach from a different angle personally.

Do you have no-compete clause in your contract or anything?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above, but I dont think it makes any difference whether you have a no compete clause. Its not like they are enforcable to begin with, but regardless, if someone feels that you are not loyal then they can make your life miserable / find a reason to get rid of you / put you first on the chopping board if the time comes.

K

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't you just ask the guy in charge of the group to keep it on the DL? I'm sure he would understand why it might be a sensitive situation with your current team.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There may be a number of people in your group, who, due to the present times, are looking to make a move. Most of them want to do it under the radar. If you want to be seen as decisive, bold and secure, you may want to be less covert. This way, you are not abandoning the old position to escape to the new one but rather transitioning to a better fit. Your old dept has more opportunity to cross train your replacement.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think who I could possibly know that could act as an intermediary.

To give you more color, they are a fund that just recently became affiliated with our bank. I am almost positive that nobody in my group would know them. And I don't have access to their employee directory it seems.

Let's say finding someone to use as an intermediary proves fruitless, would it be too much of a risk to send a message from my personal (not work) email explaining that I am an employee at ____ but heard about this position and somewhere in there say that I want to be discrete (ie don't send an email out to people and ask "iz he good?")?

Star

Reaction score
..... if the guy you want to meet is a real professional and you inform him from where you are coming from and why you want it to remain strictly confidential, then there should be no issue. If he leaks or goes spreading the word then i) he is not worth working for in the first place and ii) yes you may or may not be screwed.

Either way if you really want this job think of a strategy how to address your concerns and then just do it. Better to have tried than to look back with regret. It will eat at you from within.
eek.gif

I believe also that if this new group is as good as you say then they should appreciate innitative.

Good Luck

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I'm trying to think who I could possibly know that could act as an intermediary.

To give you more color, they are a fund that just recently became affiliated with our bank. I am almost positive that nobody in my group would know them. And I don't have access to their employee directory it seems.

Let's say finding someone to use as an intermediary proves fruitless, would it be too much of a risk to send a message from my personal (not work) email explaining that I am an employee at ____ but heard about this position and somewhere in there say that I want to be discrete (ie don't send an email out to people and ask "iz he good?")?

You could ring up and say

<You> 'My Name is bla bla.....I have X years experience in <funds management> and
I am interested in discussing 'such a such' role in the strictest confidence.

What time would suite you to have a chat about the role and the type of candidate you are looking for?'

No need to tell them over the phone exactly who you work for. Tell them when you meet face to face.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
call them, leave out your last name and job unless you get the info you want, and set up a meeting.

If it doesnt work out all they know is that a person with your first name asked about the job.

Dont email from work, and dont call from work. Call from your cell phone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics