• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confessions of a secret love: black shoes

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
As I walked to the office today wearing my black EG Malverns for the first time, I was first able to admit to myself that I love black shoes. It's true. I think they're wonderful. There it is; I'm a dirty, rotten two-timer.

Though my brown shoes get more wear and more compliments, my black shoes work as hard without demanding as much attention or special care in polishing. If my brown shoes are the stunning beauty who dances topless on the tables, my black shoes are the wallflower whose striking beauty goes unnoticed because she does not proclaim it. I can outdress others without attracting their attention or eliciting their resentment.

My black shoes whisper to business associates about how I am sober, hard-working and competent, whereas my brown shoes hint at my inner drunken philanderer. My black shoes are always appropriate, and I am never troubled by the nagging anxiety that some tiresome trad will dress me down for being out after 6:00 wearing brown in town (but let him just try when I do!). In short, they are the sartorial embodiment of the admonishment that appearances are deceiving. I savor the irony.

There, my sordid secret is out. I need no longer hide my forbidden love. I need no longer hang my head in shame for cherishing a special appreciation of black shoes.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

freakseam

Reaction score
smile.gif

You are wise and sane. Black shoes are just as ____________ as brown shoes, though particular breeds may stand out.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good post. I think black is really ideal for a serious, no-nonsense business outfit. Not as self-consciously 'stylish' as browns, but that's exactly the point.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go one further. I like and regularly wear black shoes in shell cordovan.
wow.gif

Also, for the record, I don't think the "no brown in town" rule orginates with the trads.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Also, for the record, I don't think the "no brown in town" rule orginates with the trads.
No, it's English. The trads were actually the first to break it routinely.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
As I walked to the office today wearing my black EG Malverns for the first time, I was first able to admit to myself that I love black shoes. It's true. I think they're wonderful. There it is; I'm a dirty, rotten two-timer.

Though my brown shoes get more wear and more compliments, my black shoes work as hard without demanding as much attention or special care in polishing. If my brown shoes are the stunning beauty who dances topless on the tables, my black shoes are the wallflower whose striking beauty goes unnoticed because she does not proclaim it. I can outdress others without attracting their attention or eliciting their resentment.

My black shoes whisper to business associates about how I am sober, hard-working and competent, whereas my brown shoes hint at my inner drunken philanderer. My black shoes are always appropriate, and I am never troubled by the nagging anxiety that some tiresome trad will dress me down for being out after 6:00 wearing brown in town (but let him just try when I do!). In short, they are the sartorial embodiment of the admonishment that appearances are deceiving. I savor the irony.

There, my sordid secret is out. I need no longer hide my forbidden love. I need no longer hang my head in shame for cherishing a special appreciation of black shoes.

Cool post. i think you'd feel more at ease knowing that there are large numbers of Englishman who live in fear that someone will open their shoe closet one day and out them to the world about how the large number of brown shoes made in England aren't all for the foreign market at all. I don' think most of them ever dare to wear them outside of their bedrooms.

You feel guilty about black shoes, they feel guilty about brown shoes. Its time for us all to get in touch with our inner shoe chis.

tangerine

Reaction score
Black is for satanist.

lameduck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red

.... ernest?

heavyd

Reaction score
I too admit that I prefer black to brown... but my true guilty pleasure is black gucci. i am sick.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
I too admit that I prefer black to brown... but my true guilty pleasure is black gucci. i am sick.

My problem is that i like everything. Black, brown, brown suede, black suede, white suede, spectators, boots, country, croc loafers etc...

I dont think you can ever have enough pairs of nice shoes.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's what i'm talking about! those of us who like a nice pair of polished black shoes "get no respect, i tell ya" on the forum!

To me, no one does a pair of black shoes like Lobb and Green. In my mind, a guy should have 2 pairs of black shoes, as they are the most versatile and conservative with most suits-- but you can rotate the two pairs, to avoid wearing a pair two days in a row.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads