• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conference folder vs briefcase

Materialism

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a job interview coming up (more precisely; this is going to be a full assessment center day) and I was hoping you guys could give me some expert advice on the following;

1] Conference folder vs briefcase
I'm not sure whether to go in with a conference folder or with a briefcase? Aside from *possibly* an umbrella there's really nothing at all that I would want to take that wouldn't fit in a conference folder / padfolio. However I am wondering if it would be considered 'weird' walking in with just a conference folder and if so a briefcase would be better?

Here some extra thought for discussion originating from this thread:

Originally Posted by sloaney
I find leather portfolios (especially those with the very large college seals in gold) to be extremely tacky because they tend to be cheap, low quality and pretentious at the same time. It is the equivalent of the American Jackass look for college candidates, if you will. A college student trying to play "grown up". The ONLY people you see at the office carrying these leather portfolios are college-level interviewees. I would suggest a discreet, dark colored paper folder (my preference) or a quiet leather briefcase.
Yeah, they struck me as a little pretentious, but they seemed to be the forum status quo, and with interviews one doesn't want one's accessories to stand out. I am looking to upgrade from the paper folder of my entry-level job days. I will be working in business-casual offices for the foreseeable future, so I only need a case to go with interview suits, but I'm willing to invest in a modestly-priced briefcase if it is the stylish choice. I assume "quiet" means black and soft, with a handle but no shoulder-strap. Where should one begin looking for a high-value model? For example, how are the cases of everyone's-favourite-shoe-maker Kenneth Cole?

2] if I can choose between a conference folder with zipper and one without zipper, would that be an easy choice?

3] Independent of your answer to Q2 above, which of the below conference folders would you deem a better choice?

a) http://www.wayfair.com/Royce-Leather-Padfolio-File-Organizer-in-Black-750-BLK-8-RYL1303.html

b) http://www.maxwellscottbags.com/business/conference-folders/dimaro-leather-conference-folder.html

c) http://www.ebags.com/product/clava/quinley-conference-padfolio/10716?productid=37052

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

PS. FYI, this concerns a job in the financial industry.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folder/portfolio is fine.

Briefcase would also be fine.

I don't think it matters.

Materialism

Reaction score
Hi Kai,

Good to hear, I guess :)

One remark though; While (after..) you posted your post I edited mine. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on which of the listed conference folders would be the better choice?

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a "suit and tie" professional services company, and part of my job includes interviewing potential candidates. From my perspective, either portfolio or briefcase is fine, although I often wonder what a candidate needs a briefcase for. Honestly, you are bringing me a CV/resume and taking some notes.

On choice of portfolio, looks are second to function. I pay more attention to whether or not a candidate bothered to shine his shoes and can tie his tie, than to his choice of portfolio.

wilay05

Reaction score
i'm interviewing too in the next few week...i think i'm just going to bring a portfolio. If i had to choose, i would pick A.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wiley, I think portfolio is the way to go. Pick the one that has the functionality you want/need and fits your own personal style. Also
Try to relax. Be professional but be yourself.
Shine your shoes and tie your tie well.
Make sure your resume has no errors. Seriously.
Do a little research on your interviewer on LinkedIn, etc. if you can.
Good luck.

wilay05

Reaction score
Flake,

I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on something. You mentioned that you look to the shoes first. In addition to looking to whether the shoes are polished, do you also look to see what kind of shoe they are wearing. Do you think nice loafers would be considered too casual compared to your traditional lace up.

thanks

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A quality letter portfolio is all that's needed.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Kai,

Good to hear, I guess :)

One remark though; While (after..) you posted your post I edited mine. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on which of the listed conference folders would be the better choice?

A and B are my favorites.

What color briefcase do you plan to buy. If you're going to get a brown briefcase, get the black portfolio, and visa versa. Then you've got a different color option if necessary.

If it were me, I'd get the A portfolio in black, then get a brown briefcase down the road.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flake,

I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on something.  You mentioned that you look to the shoes first.  In addition to looking to whether the shoes are polished, do you also look to see what kind of shoe they are wearing.  Do you think nice loafers would be considered too casual compared to your traditional lace up.

thanks

Honestly, not so much. My comment on shined shoes goes hand in hand with error free resume. I'm looking to see if they pay attention to details. I'd rather see shined loafers than scuffed up captoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads