• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confectionery manufacturers are depriving us of calories

Lear

Reaction score
About a year ago I purchased my usual extra large bag of M&M's. For anyone unaware, these are the most yummy of confections (contain peanuts with protein), made to be eaten rapidly. My record for a complete family pack is about twelve minutes. Anyway, I slapped my couple of quid down onto the counter and scoffed the lot. But here's the rub: imagine the shock of seeing the love of your life sans make-up for the first time ever. Or better still, imagine discovering that the person you thought was your father, was really your mother, and the person you thought was your mother was really your younger sibling. Imagine all that, and you'd still be nowhere near the level of debilitating shock I experienced that day. My senses could hardly compute the unbelievable sight that lay before me... the bag contained 185g instead of 225g! Incredible but true! In every other way the two new sized bags were identical. The manufacturers are now putting less product into exactly the same sized bag, and sneakily altering the printed weight on the back. I thought you good folk on SF, always aware of the importance of calorific deficiency, might find this to be of interest. There are probably further examples of how the confectionery giants are colluding, in order to deprive us of our right to consume. Lear

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's out of their concern for rising obesity rates.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It's out of their concern for rising obesity rates.

lol8[1].gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bastards, messing with M&Ms.
plain.gif
Is nothing sacred in this world any more?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed recently that they've shrunk the box and upped the price on dots. Thankfully, my other semi regularly purchased box candies seem unaffected thus far.

Saltricks

Reaction score
This is a common phenomena many are calling "the shrink ray". Companies that aren't doing as well as they have been are trying to change up bottles to hold less product while appearing to have more or are putting less product into the same containers. This is happening with all types of things, not just M & Ms. Shampoo companies are notorious at doing this, even Coke is doing the same thing with 10 oz cans and 16 oz bottles. Even video game companies are packing less content into their games so that they can sell them separately.

Blame the economy. :\\

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been happening for a while. The consumers are far more likely to notice an increase in the price rather than a decrease in net weight.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
This has been happening forEVER. (...)

Remember when a bag of sugar was 5 lbs, and not 4?

D Yizz

Reaction score
30 years ago, my favorite empty calorie confectionery candy weighed 1.25 ounces and cost 10 cents. Nowadays, it costs 50 cents and weighs .62 ounces:

panky-large-300x244.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads