• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coney Island's Astroland to close...A sad day.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/09/05....ap/index.html NEW YORK (AP) -- The owner of Coney Island's Astroland said Thursday she is calling it quits and the historic amusement park will close for good on Sunday. \t \t \t \t \t \t \t \t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t \t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t \t \t \t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t \t \t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t \t \t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t
art.astroland.closing.gi.jpg
With two dozen rides on three acres, Astroland covers a large part of Coney Island. more photos »
corner_wire_BL.gif
\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t \t \t Carol Albert, whose family has owned the Brooklyn amusement park for almost a half century, said she gave up on negotiating a two-year lease with Thor Equities after the developer missed a Thursday deadline to reply. Thor spokesman Stefan Friedman said the company is "extremely disappointed that Carol Albert has decided to give up on the future of Coney Island when her current lease isn't even up for a number of months." The park was under threat of closing a year ago, but Thor -- which owns the land under the park -- and Astroland agreed to a one-year lease extension. It was not clear if another last-minute reprieve was possible this year. Albert said she wanted a two-year lease this time, to cover the summers of 2009 and 2010, because her 300 employees needed more job security. Albert's father-in-law, Dewey Albert, unveiled the outer-space-themed Astroland park in 1962. For years, its future has been the focus of bickering among the developer, the ride operator and city officials. iReport.com: See photos of Astroland and Coney Island, present and past With two dozen rides on three acres, Astroland covers a large part of Coney Island. But many other rides, including the historic Cyclone roller coaster and Wonder Wheel, are not part of Astroland and are not affected by the announcement.
photos.gif
See photos of Papa Burger, Shoot the Freak and more from Coney Island » Albert sold the Astroland acreage to Thor Equities two years ago for $30 million and has said the rides would be dismantled and auctioned off when the park closed. \t \t\t
advertisement.gif
\t\t \t Coney Island fans and community activists have accused the developer and the city of trying to gentrify the seedy neighborhood where the old rides sit alongside freak show attractions. iReport.com: Watch a quirky rally for inventor Garrett Morgan Thor had planned to break ground next year on a $1.5 billion complex including high-rise hotels and New York's first new roller coaster since the wooden Cyclone was built 75 years ago.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's such a drama queen

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Coney Island=white trash haven.

....but also a haven for the Russians, the Puerto Ricans, and anyone craving for authentic fun. Sad indeed, reminds me of the demise of Times Square and the departure of all that seediness. We need a little yin with the yang.

BTW, I wil be playing in a senior (55+) hand ball tournament at Brighton Beach which is adjacent to Coney island this weekend.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
BTW, I wil be playing in a senior (55+) hand ball tournament at Brighton Beach which is adjacent to Coney island this weekend.
Beware the Russian mafia!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
You dont say.
eh.gif
But you missed the point which was that a Brooklyn landmark is closing. Astroland was THE place to go for fun when I was growing up.

I know, you're correct. I remember going to Coney Island as a kid and it being lots of fun. Of course, that was before I became a pretentious douchebag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics