• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Condo smells of smoke because of other unit, anything I can do?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
isn't indoor smoking against the rules of most condo associations?

Probably against the rules of the owner if you're renting but not of the condo association. At least not mine.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some caulk from a hardware store and apply it where your floor meets the baseboards or the side walls of the bedroom sealing any cracks. You can also buy some foam plates to install behind your electrical switches and sockets to prevent any smoke from getting in through there.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, when a friend used to grow weed back in the day, he learnt the value of usng lava rock for odour control. i see no reason it wouldnt work here - worth a shot, i think, and can work quite well with the decor if you do it right

Beetleything

Reaction score
I just moved into a building with 4 apartments on each floor and i am on the 9th floor...

I kept noticing the smell of cigarettes or worse the stinky skunk weed....well occasionally anyway.

One night i was sitting on my couch with the balcony door open a crack- 1 inch at the most and i could smell smoke ... i thought it might be my kitchen and looking around and then on the balcony i look down and the guy below is standing there smoking a cigarette....outside.

9 floors up with a gentle breeze and the smell comes in my apartment for maybe a minute or 2 -- nothing you can do really.

In the summer when more of this goes on and the windows and doors open it'll be worse.
i was thinking of getting a fan and pointing it out at the balcony door- creating a breeze going out rather than coming in......
plain.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of smoke?

My condo smells like smoke a lot. I also suspect it comes from the neighboring units. More of the wood burning type rather than tobacco. I enjoy it though, so I never start a fuss over it.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if it was wood burning smoke smell I wouldn't mind but indeed it is cigarette smoke. I know it's coming from the vents because it's only the bedroom and the front door isn't anywhere near that room.

I wasn't thinking of legal action, but I did think about consulting with the management office to see what the law or condo by-laws are in regard to smoking in the building. Obviously there is none in the common areas, but I suspect there is no prohibition against smoking in your own unit. I just pained and caulked all the baseboards so I don't think it's coming from there either. I'm going to check the closests, they border another unit.

Monaco

Reaction score
Open your windows to let the bad air out

Use an air filtration system to clean the air

Steam clean your couch and other parts of your house (there are steam wipers out there)

Use aromatic candles before expecting company.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Yes, if it was wood burning smoke smell I wouldn't mind but indeed it is cigarette smoke. I know it's coming from the vents because it's only the bedroom and the front door isn't anywhere near that room.

I wasn't thinking of legal action, but I did think about consulting with the management office to see what the law or condo by-laws are in regard to smoking in the building. Obviously there is none in the common areas, but I suspect there is no prohibition against smoking in your own unit. I just pained and caulked all the baseboards so I don't think it's coming from there either. I'm going to check the closests, they border another unit.

You sure it's the vents? Maybe you could install carbon scrubbers in them...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco

Use aromatic candles before expecting company.

I think those are jsut as bad as cigarette smoke, personally.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You sure it's the vents? Maybe you could install carbon scrubbers in them...

I think it's the vents because the room is isolated from the door to the common hall way, so if it was coming in from under the door it would need to smell like that in the hallway, dining area and living area. It's just in the bedroom, which has one shared wall with another unit, so if not the vents then I'm at a loss.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you find the offending apartment, set fire to it.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer

I hope the clothes in your closet don't smell of smoke. I would pop in next door to introduce yourself. If your neighbor smokes it will be obvious the moment they open the door. After that check with your management office and your association for recourse. Until a permanent solution is achieved, use an air filtration system.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Start smoking. Problem solved.

I should be charging you a fee for that advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads