• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concorde jets

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've flown JFK to Munich on Lufthansa (coach) and it wasn't bad. Free booze, fairly roomy seats. I don't know that a $6K premium or whatever is worth it.

In the 80s, the Lufthansa stewardess' got hotter and their skirts shorter as you moved from coach to business to first.

The booziest airline I've ever flown was Austrian. I had about eight Gosser going from Chicago to Vienna one time. Luckily I had an entire row to stretch out on. That flight cost $400 in 2000.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
sounds cheap actually..

****, i've seen a business class ticket to amsterdam on lufthansa (i think) that was 8 grand.. but that was also a fucked up reservation.

Yes this summer I wanted to fly directly to Prague and it would have cost me 8 grand on business class. Some configurations just turn out stupidly expensive. Obviously I didn't fly direct.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is absurd.

Consider how many people want to fly SFO-Hong Kong / Shanghai, and probably continue on another airline. Then consider how many of them want to fly in first class. This obviously equals a much higher cost for first class seating.

China (and Asia for that matter) is an unbelievably high-yielding market for UAL and Northwest especially.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Not at the moment. The current emphasis is on carrying more people cheaper and with as little effect on the environment as possible.

You've heard it straight from the top! This bag boy knows it all.

I've flown JFK to Munich on Lufthansa (coach) and it wasn't bad. Free booze, fairly roomy seats. I don't know that a $6K premium or whatever is worth it.

I few JFK to Munich on Lufthansa also, from what I saw back there the Coach section didn't seem bad. However, when you're flying long haul like I did to New Zealand...it really does make a difference.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I few JFK to Munich on Lufthansa also, from what I saw back there the Coach section didn't seem bad. However, when you're flying long haul like I did to New Zealand...it really does make a difference.
Yeah, NZ is a long flight.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
You've heard it straight from the top! This bag boy knows it all.

Bullshit. Apparently unlike the majority of people who work I also consider my job to be a hobby. I apologize for taking in interest in how the industry works nowadays.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've flown coach and first class both domestic and international, domestic first class is the biggest waste of money I could imagine. International makes more sense but still doesn't justify the price differential IMO. I think flying coach on some of the better European airlines beats business class on most American airlines.

dboll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I do think government regulations are a huge part of why they aren't viable for most routes - i believe have to stay subsonic over continental us and europe.

Yup, but the technology is almost there that supersonic flight over the continental US would not disturb the public. However, the regs would still have to change, as the overpressures allowed now are nil as opposed to minimal.

Mauby

Reaction score
Flew Chicago to Hong Kong/Singapore on United business. It was very comfortable. The service from Chicago to Hong Kong from the American flight attendants paled in comparsion to the Hong Kong to Singapore Asian counterparts. Flew all over SE Asia. I'll tell ya, flying economy on Singapore Airlines beats domestic 1st class.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is absurd.

Having made the trip from Chicago to Beijing and Atlanta to Seoul (and then to Beijing) multiple times in Business and Coach, no its not. Business is worth it on longhaul flights like that where you cross multiple time zones (Atlanta to Rio, for example, not worth it becuase you leave at 10pm and sleep and wake up at dawn).

Nugget

Reaction score
just searched concorde as today I was in a cafe and they wheeled through what a think was a covered trolley of pastries. it reminded me and my wife of how you used to have to hang your coats in the lounge because there wasn't enough room in the plane.

I wanted to see if other SFers had flown as I try and reconstruct the memory before I forget it. So for those that did please share anything else you remember besides the small cabin?

I flew LHR to JFK in 97. Memories are:
1) the announcement in the first class lounge 'those passengers flying british airways 001 supersonic to new york..."
2) seeing the looks on the fat cats face when the young couple got up and handed over their winter coats
3) telling my then GF (now wife) that I couldn't wait to break the sound barrier so that when she nagged me, the guy 10 rows back would hear it.. (family sense of humour - can't help it)
4) arriving in JFK 'earlier' than when we took off, but needing a snooze from all the bubbly, hence losing time gains.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
In the 80s, the Lufthansa stewardess' got hotter and their skirts shorter as you moved from coach to business to first.

It is one of my goals to sleep with an air hostess.

Preferably in-flight.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so drugged up on flights I wouldn't be able to enjoy any additional amenities in first class besides the extra leg room. I usually take a xanax and put in a little work at the airport bar as well. I HATE flying.

chiral

Reaction score
I remember being in London once when the concordes still were flying, and I was staying in a hotel by Heathrow. I got to watch one take off, and still remember that sound. Unbelievably loud.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads