• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Concorde jets

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Did anybody fly on a Concorde before they were grounded? I was reading about them earlier tonight and I want to fly on one now.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes... very narrow and well appointed for back then.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
My uncle flew on them frequently and told me about the curvature of the planet visible from the windows. That is so crazy.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling Jetblast! I think he mentioned he rode one just before they were grounded.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Calling Jetblast! I think he mentioned he rode one just before they were grounded.

isn't he like 16 years old? I don't think that would have been a memorable ride for him.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
isn't he like 16 years old? I don't think that would have been a memorable ride for him.

thats not what he said about your mom.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you'll remember, the fleet was grounded after a crash several years ago. A few jets were then put back into service I think, and the first flight after the grounding, which resumed commercial transatlantic trips, was on September 11, 2001.

You may recall that it was overshadowed by some other news that day. . .

Subsequently the program was shut down due to a decrease in airline flight in general.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mobutu Sese Seko used to charter the Concorde for shopping trips, and to ferry his hairdresser from NY to Africa.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My uncle flew on them frequently and told me about the curvature of the planet visible from the windows. That is so crazy.

uhhhhhh that's nice but no different from any other plane. I am pretty sure you can see the curvature from like a mile above the surface, and the concord doesn't really fly higher than other transatlantic airliners anyway.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
uhhhhhh that's nice but no different from any other plane. I am pretty sure you can see the curvature from like a mile above the surface, and the concord doesn't really fly higher than other transatlantic airliners anyway.

The curvature is a lot more evident on a concorde. They flew at 56,000 ft. whereas normal transatlantic fly at 36,000 ft. The higher elevation actually caused concern for radiation issues.

jdcpa

Reaction score
I Agree with above, I read that the Concorde flew at around 55-60 thousand feet. A normal transatlantic airline flies at about 30-35.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
thats not what he said about your mom.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

That is right. I rode in the cockpit jumpseat with my uncle serving as Flight Engineer. I don't remember a whole lot of it but the most memorable part of the experience was literally being pushed back into my seat when the afterburners kicked in. Concorde cruised around 56,000 feet most of the time, so the curvature of the earth was apparent.

Certainly a glorious aircraft, it's a shame she is no longer flying. It's still my favorite design in aerospace.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely one of those things you have to do once in your lifetime regardless of cost. Unfortunately I was still in high school when they were grounded permanently so I'll never get the chance.

Was watching the movie Sabrina with my GF and Harrison Ford took a Concorde to Paris on a whim, made me wish I had gotten into the working world about 10 years earlier.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40