1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

concerts

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by thekunk07, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

PJ Harvey next month - her new album is quite good.

Also seeing Erykah Badu supported by Fat Freddys Drop and Mayer Hawthorn - great line up.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ erykah badu is in my top 5 all time shows. she commands.

just saw the walkmen last night. played two sets at the independent in sf. good as always.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

What's funny about all the love for the National is that I saw them open for Modest Mouse who was opening for R.E.M. Both the National and MM were being booed as people wanted to see R.E.M. I thought that was uncouth.

~ H

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i saw them open for rem and left before rem came on

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Saw Porter Robinson tonight. Fun.

6. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

I'm a bit baffled by the admiration for The National in this thread. They are good but they hardly blow you away. They are certainly a long way from being the best live band I've seen. Not bad, mind you, but not spectacular either.

7. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Going to see Radiohead tomorrow night in Tampa, then The Naked and Famous at the end of the month.

Saw Anthrax, Testament, and Death Angel a couple weeks ago. Excellent old school metal show. The bands sounded great.

8. rc-grad

rc-grad Active Member

I've started to listen to The Naked and Famous maybe 2 years or so ago when I was living in Australia. They are from New Zealand so was nice to find out about a "local" band. Never seen them live but am pretty sure they must be decent. Alisa Xayalith has a pretty voice and is decently attractive, too.

9. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

i saw radiohead on thursday in atlanta....enjoyed the two songs from the bends/ok computer.....the digital fart shit is better live than i thought it would be.

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I went to the Black Keys last night in Detroit. Last time I saw them (about 5 years ago maybe) was at a little theatre in front of maybe 75 people. They already had a decent following at the time and I was sort of amazed there were so few people at that show. I later came to find out that the show was being sponsored by some cigarette company and tickets were only available through them (and a few other local sponsors) so a lot of people who wanted tickets probably didn't know where to get them. All in all though, I'm not complaining about the small crowd.

This time around though was in an arena with about 15,000 folks. I was a bit apprehensive that their sound wouldn't translate well into such a large venue... but no worries. They were absolutely spectacular again. I will say that the songs they played with just Auerbach and Carney were much better than the songs they did with a full band.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Must be great to have been following them for so long. One of the few acts of recent memory I would go see live.

12. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

I would go anywhere for Adele. If anyone has news of her tour please let me know..

13. otc

otc Senior member

the lollapalooza lineup looks entertaining this year.

Some odd ducks (wtf black sabbath?) but the best shows are usually not the headliners anyways.
    I think I'll go this year...its not that pricey for an entire of weekend of music (and access to good food and non ripoff beer prices) and I did end up regretting not going last year.

Sure its not going to be some giant special event that leaves a lasting impression on the history books...and sure there will be some shitty people in the crowds and the whole thing is overcommercialized...but I still get to see a whole festival's worth of music and still sleep in my own bed every night.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yeah well, FUCK YOU, I should kick your ass

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

16. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

Just back from Coachella....saw some amazing shows this year (fitz & the tantrums, we were promised jetpacks, awolnation, pulp, jimmy cliff, big pink, kaiser chiefs, grouplove) but the standout for me were the Hives... they really killed it...tremendous performance.

[​IMG]

17. otc

otc Senior member

I guess it is a good thing that my friend and I grabbed lollapalooza tickets last week (from 30k feet on some airplane wifi no less) because it looks like 3-day passes sold out yesterday which probably would have been the next chance that we would have considered ordering them since we were both just back from vacation.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Coldplay

Edward Sharpe and the Magentic Zeros

Coldplay was a snooze. Great for the 40+ type trying to impress the gf

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

gotye. worth seeing?

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

You diss Coldplay then turn around and attend a Gotye concert? Why don't you go watch New Kids on the Block while you are at it?