• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concerns of a graduating senior

JBG

Reaction score
Econ undergrad degree here- I also had a fairly anemic overall GPA due to changing my major from a program that I was not doing well in. I only quoted my major GPA on my resume (which was one full point higher than my overall...) and then only gave my overall GPA if asked (this was rare).

Be sure to go through your alumni services department or whatever career planning office your school has - I got my first job through one of the alumni services leads because some companies want graduates from specific universities - these companies tend to overlook a less than stellar GPA, particularly if your school has a reputation as being academically difficult.

Once you land that first job, your GPA becomes a fairly insignficant factor for future job consideration - I interview and hire people on a regular basis in my current role, working in a Fortune 30 company, and we never bring up GPA or even schooling for that matter once someone has several years of relevant work experience under their belt. This may depend on the industry you are in, of course, but don't take a low GPA to mean that your chances of a great career are over before it even starts. Once you get your foot in the door it is all up to you at that point.

On a side note - to whoever mentioned that an econ degree wasn't quantitative - that certainly depends on the school and your degree focus - mine was in econometrics, although I do agree that with some schools you are better off getting an undergrad degree in math or statistics, particularly if you want to go to graduate school in economics.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I just graduated with a <3.0 GPA (in a hard science) from an Ivy and was able to land a good job. Although the full-time position is the direct result of getting something after sophomore summer, what I did would probably work well for you: I networked ****** off. I was part of a student group and I found alumni from the group in banking and emailed them, and then expanded my search to school alumni in general and then pretty much anyone who had an email address listed at a firm in which I was interested. All in all, I probably emailed 300+ individuals, but I got a few interviews and an internship out of it, which led to a return summer and then a full-time offer.

Moral of the story: Figure out what you want to do and then pound the pavement hard for it. Being at an Ivy, you have one of the best brand names and alumni networks in the world at your disposal. Use them.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Question:

All these alumni know damn well the intent of you searching for them is to look for a job. How would one go about to try and disguise that as much as possible?

Sugarcoating and showing interest (although it may be superficial)?

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
^ Question:

All these alumni know damn well the intent of you searching for them is to look for a job. How would one go about to try and disguise that as much as possible?

There's no point in sugarcoating. They know what you're up to and most of the time, if they listed their name on the network, its because they're happy to help.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
^ Question:

Don't disguise. Don't be an ass and say "hey, do you have any jobs" though.

I have the most respect for someone that calls or emails with some questions on what career paths look like, best preparation, what the culture is like, etc because it shows they have a deeper interest than just "I need a job!"

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Basically, what the two posters above said. Just be honest without being pushy or pathetic. Tell them you're interested in their field and just talk to them about it. Be a human.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What caused the depression? Workload doesn't seem like the root cause of depression. Are you sure you really made the right choice in picking Econ as your major? If you love a particular subject wouldn't you not mind the workload?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
What caused the depression? Workload doesn't seem like the root cause of depression. Are you sure you really made the right choice in picking Econ as your major? If you love a particular subject wouldn't you not mind the workload?
Econ can be depressing in of itself. like when you take Econometrics and they grade the class on a curve...and you still fail
ffffuuuu.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Econ can be depressing in of itself. like when you take Econometrics and they grade the class on a curve...and you still fail
ffffuuuu.gif

So it's frustration then?

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
ffffuuuu.gif

If you think econometrics is difficult, take real analysis. It will make that class look like basic algebra material.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Thank you all for your encouraging words. I don't think I can really isolate a single root cause of the depression, but a lot of things just turned out badly in college for me, especially when it was most crucial for me to do well. If I had to, I might attribute it to the fact that I felt very aimless in college whereas most of my friends had planned out their lives ahead of them. Even switching to an economics major was not because I enjoyed the subject, but because I couldn't really decide what else to do during my four year stay. Also, it was frustrating not living up to what I perceive my potential to be, thus fostering a very self-deprecating mindset.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Thank you all for your encouraging words. I don't think I can really isolate a single root cause of the depression, but a lot of things just turned out badly in college for me, especially when it was most crucial for me to do well. If I had to, I might attribute it to the fact that I felt very aimless in college whereas most of my friends had planned out their lives ahead of them. Even switching to an economics major was not because I enjoyed the subject, but because I couldn't really decide what else to do during my four year stay. Also, it was frustrating not living up to what I perceive my potential to be, thus fostering a very self-deprecating mindset.

Don't assume life won't throw them a curve ball. Life sure has a sick sense of humor. Some people aren't ready to find their calling at your age. Don't spend time measuring yourself against others. Don't perceive your potential. It is good to know what you're capable of, but try to be humble about it and not arrogant. My advice is look for a mentor NOT A FRIEND to talk to and avoid the shrink. MANY people have been in your position and have managed to thrive.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Get yourself straightened out first. A happy worker is a good worker and employers know this. They may try to help by giving you a job, but they're more likely to red flag you and diagnose you themselves ("He's probably just lazy and unlikable"). I'd be apprehensive to make it a point of emphasis in your search unless you speak of it distinctly in the past tense.

To get straightened out, I'd really recommend looking into a pet, a charitable organization, a sports club or some other type of extra curricular activity that has beneficial community involvement or interpersonal value. Having multiple things going on is a good way to resist the monotony of the workplace and also to prevent you from having too much time to be alone and gloomy.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bro i'll drop some econ science on you. your degree is a wasting asset. hit the concrete and work those ivy connex bc it won't be easier to find a job after you mope around for a few months

LTJazz

Reaction score
You'll be fine. I'm going to a state school (Rutgers Business,) which isn't even a top 50, and I'm not all too worried. The fact you care so much about your career and future should be an indicator you have the drive and motivation to land a job you deserve. I understand the community on this forum is very prestigious, and most don't get out of bed for anything less than a 6 figure salary, so what I'm saying might be blasphemy
blush.gif
If so, I apologize in advance. I slacked my way through high school, almost went to Berklee for a Music Performance degree, and didn't realize how serious everything was until after my first semester in community college. You could be in a much worse position. Just manage your career aggressively and you'll be far better off than the bulk of society. Nothing is preventing you, or anyone else, from taking the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads