• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concern over the future of French cuff shirts

stuarts8

Reaction score
I was in a store this morning ,they told me they were not selling as many French cuff shirts now due to difficulties encountered when using a computer . I expressed the view to the sales clerk , that it would be a pity if French cuff shirts disappeared from sale Just because of this difficulty with the wearing of them while using a computer. I said that Personally I preferred French cuff shirts as compared to button cuff shirts.
I explained that what I did to obviate the problem with French cuff shirts and the computers , I simply undid my cufflinks and folded back the cuffs twice and then I did not have this problem.
I would be interested to know if this would be a factor for the sales of French cuff shirts to decline..
I like wearing them and hope they do not disappear from the stores.
Cheers
Stuarts8

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
I could be wrong (although that is a rare and wondrous occasion) but I suspect French cuff shirts were initially intended to be rolled back as you are describing. I know surgeon cuffs on suits selves were designed for this purpose.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are wrong I'm afraid. French Cuffs were originally removable.

This is claim is stupid, The tips of your fingers are what rest on a keyboard, which for most men is about 10" from the end of the cuff. Unless you exclusively use the top line of a keyboard (Fkeys) the cuff shouldn't even present an issue.

What store was this in? Might it simply be a lie that is better than "we don't sell enough to our customers"?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no difficulties using my computer while wearing french cuffs. :bigstar:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in a store this morning ,they told me they were not selling as many French cuff shirts now due to difficulties encountered when using a computer . I expressed the view to the sales clerk , that it would be a pity if French cuff shirts disappeared from sale Just because of this difficulty with the wearing of them while using a computer. I said that Personally I preferred French cuff shirts as compared to button cuff shirts.
I explained that what I did to obviate the problem with French cuff shirts and the computers , I simply undid my cufflinks and folded back the cuffs twice and then I did not have this problem.
I would be interested to know if this would be a factor for the sales of French cuff shirts to decline..
Cheers
Stuarts8
Well, this is a valid reason, if true. Most people wearing these types of shirts are probably using computers for the majority of their day.

That said, I do not have any issues wearing a french-cuff shirt and using a computer.

handsolo

Reaction score
Most people shouldn't wear French cuffs. Maybe if many stores stopped selling them then I wouldn't have to see them on bank tellers, law office interns, cheesy real estate wannabes, and so on. The worst part about the past decade's French-cuffs-to-the-masses movement has been the proliferation of totally ****** cufflinks. It used to be that cuffs were a rare and special thing. Let's go back.

http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson-Cufflinks-Cycles-Cuff-links/dp/B005EJAIB8

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cheers
Stuarts8

Good observation. That is what I do. The clunking of the cufflinks on the keyboard is annoying.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
Anyone ever roll their french cuffs under eachother so they are shaped like a barrel cuff and fasten them with a link? Never done it, just curious. Could be a (temporary) solution if someone is having the problem the OP stated.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For similar reasons, the growing popularity of spaghetti and other heavily sauced dishes has led to the nearly complete replacement of the four-in-hand by the bowtie.

Sad, really.

handsolo

Reaction score
When was this exactly?
confused.gif

In the modern era I'd say cuffs were on the right arms up until the mid nineties or so. Of course that depends on where we're talking about. That's roughly the same time that too many kids who should have become plumber's apprentices started going to college. Perhaps your slanty smile emoticon is meant to convey your understanding that there was a time when there were only French cuffs? Do you disagree that the hoi polloi have recently taken to cuffs and links with a new and special gusto?

As someone who has been to a TJ Max in the past month let me tell you that the only thing worse than a cheap dress shirt is a cheap dress shirt with French cuffs and ****** links.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just asked Siri about the alarming problem posed in this thread, and her reply was, "What primitive f*ck still uses a keyboard?"

She sounded really cute saying this.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don' t haVe a ny probnlem typ-ing 8usaing F renvh cuffz.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the modern era I'd say cuffs were on the right arms up until the mid nineties or so.  Of course that depends on where we're talking about.  That's roughly the same time that too many kids who should have become plumber's apprentices started going to college.  Perhaps your slanty smile emoticon is meant to convey your understanding that there was a time when there were only French cuffs?  Do you disagree that the hoi polloi have recently taken to cuffs and links with a new and special gusto? 

As someone who has been to a TJ Max in the past month let me tell you that the only thing worse than a cheap dress shirt is a cheap dress shirt with French cuffs and ****** links.

Thanks for clearing this up. I suppose I need to pay more attention to the hoi polloi. Is Jersey Shore a good starting point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads