1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Conan may be replaced by Leno

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Dentata, Jan 7, 2010.

1. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

It screws Conan over, and plenty of sympathy is due to him. But I think Jay's evilness and NBC's stupidity here are vastly overblown.

NBC's stupidity can never be overblown. They ran a #1 network into the ground.

As for Jay being evil. He's not evil. He's just a slimy douche bag. Exhibit #1,245,421 was displayed just a couple days ago. Immediately after Conan wrote his "I'm not moving to midnight" open letter, Jay felt compelled to issue a similar comment basically stating how upset he was with NBC and the way they handled the situation, and he might leave NBC, too. What does he do the next day? Sign a contract to host the Tonight Show again.

At every turn, Jay Leno is just so fake, it's sickening.

2. breakz

breakz Senior member

And hell, Conan isn't even that in touch with the younger audiences anymore, as we see in this thread. Jimmy freaking Fallon is preferred by the younger set.

You made a bunch of great points, but I disagree with this. The Internet fervor for "Team Coco" is incredible evidence that Conan still connects with younger audiences.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Don't forget that it's more than just Jay or Conan that's affected here: their entire production teams may be laid off as well. That's probably worse for Conan since many of his staff moved to LA from NYC.

--Andre

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Don't forget that it's more than just Jay or Conan that's affected here: their entire production teams may be laid off as well. That's probably worse for Conan since many of his staff moved to LA from NYC.

--Andre

Conan seems like the type of principled guy that would do everything he could to take his staff with him should he hcange networks.

5. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I honestly CANNOT believe anyone gives a shit about this. Ive never seen people genuinely pissed off about something so irrelevant. Hell, I havent watched late night TV in in probably 10 years.

Who exactly is their target demographic anyways? Everyone I know with real jobs is in bed by 11 on weeknights.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

And hell, Conan isn't even that in touch with the younger audiences anymore, as we see in this thread. Jimmy freaking Fallon is preferred by the younger set.

I preferred "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," but I prefer "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" over "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien."

I think Conan's monologue is usually funnier than Jimmy's, but I think Jimmy's bits are funnier and more entertaining than Conan's. I also think that Conan is a dick to his guests a lot of the time, which I don't find particularly amusing.

7. touchthesky

touchthesky Senior member

I honestly CANNOT believe anyone gives a shit about this. Ive never seen people genuinely pissed off about something so irrelevant. Hell, I havent watched late night TV in in probably 10 years.

Who exactly is their target demographic anyways? Everyone I know with real jobs is in bed by 11 on weeknights.

This is probably why you don't give a shit.

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

I dug up an old article about the Carson-Leno-Letterman controversy when Leno succeeded Carson, and found it quite interesting in context to what's happening now. Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/30/ma...l?pagewanted=1

9. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

This is probably why you don't give a shit.

Yea, and my second point was asking who actually watches it?

Cause every male I know with real careers in the 25-50 wheelhouse advertisers really care about dont give a flying fuck about late night tv... but apparently everyone has an opnion about who is better

10. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I have a real job, and I'm in bed by 10 PM, but I really give a shit. Humor is strangely something I've come to take very seriously. I can acknowledge how difficult it is to be funny and how important it is to me to have jokes to laugh at. It's a coping mechanism, maybe, but a humorless life is not worth living.

Honestly, I owe a fair part of my sense of humor to Conan. His work on SNL and Simpsons played a large role in shaping my sense of humor, and then during college, I would stay up late and watch him every night. I don't know this man personally, and I don't watch him anymore because I have a job/family, but I feel about him how many older people might feel about Dylan or Kerouac. I don't mean that I do standup or write shows because of him, but just the everyday stuff of finding shit to laugh at and how you joke with your friends. I feel emotionally invested in his work.

So yeah, fuck NBC and fuck Leno.

11. z7f9q

z7f9q Senior member

So yeah, fuck NBC and fuck Leno.

Pretty much.

On that note, did anybody see Jimmy Kimmel light Leno up in his 10 @ 10 segment when Leno had him on? Leno was gritting his teeth and trying to desperately get through the questions, and Kimmel was digging at him every chance he got. I don't really like Jimmy Kimmel, but he's been unbelievable this past week with the Leno impersonation, coverage, etc.

12. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

13. BoilerRoom

BoilerRoom Senior member

I really don't know what to make of that segment. Leno was clearly setting up Kimmel for easy controversy jokes, but perhaps Kimmel was taking it a bit farther than was previously discussed.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Here's the vid of Kimmel destroying Leno on his own show if Chrono's embed isn't working:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Pages 8 and 10, all of these have been posted.

You guys have to click the links and watch the vids, so much good stuff especially from Howard Stern, Rosie, etc.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Pages 8 and 10, all of these have been posted.

You guys have to click the links and watch the vids, so much good stuff especially from Howard Stern, Rosie, etc.

I didn't see Kimmel as Leno posted previously....

16. el grande tempo

el grande tempo Well-Known Member

I feel about him how many older people might feel about Dylan or Kerouac.
    Are you insinuating that Conan might be done in by a can of bad tuna?

- E

17. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

When the dust settles, I will watch whatever NBC puts on. I can't stand Letterman, and I normally don't change the channel after the Tonight Show, even though the few times I've seen Craig Ferguson, he's been pretty funny.

But more specifically, at the end of the day, I don't really give a fuck. All these guys will probably be richer for the rest of their lives than any of us will ever get close to being no matter what happens with this situation.

18. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I preferred "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," but I prefer "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" over "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien."

I think Conan's monologue is usually funnier than Jimmy's, but I think Jimmy's bits are funnier and more entertaining than Conan's. I also think that Conan is a dick to his guests a lot of the time, which I don't find particularly amusing.

Jimmy's monologue is much much shorter because his delivery sucks, and yet after months to get settled in, he still seems awkward with his movements during his monologes. While Conan may have some lame bits, I think Jimmy's are pretty bad and more frequent - what's that one with the piece of carpet? Stupid. Same thing with throwing hot dogs into a hole. I mean is that to entertain the morons that make up his audience? I only watch every so often because he has the Roots on.

I don't think Conan is any better or worse than Leno. Conan is a likeable guy, although his self-depracation can be a bit tiring, but overall, I enjoy the show and don't miss Leno one bit at 11:35.

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Jimmy's monologue is much much shorter because his delivery sucks, and yet after months to get settled in, he still seems awkward with his movements during his monologes. While Conan may have some lame bits, I think Jimmy's are pretty bad and more frequent - what's that one with the piece of carpet? Stupid. Same thing with throwing hot dogs into a hole. I mean is that to entertain the morons that make up his audience? I only watch every so often because he has the Roots on.

I don't think Conan is any better or worse than Leno. Conan is a likeable guy, although his self-depracation can be a bit tiring, but overall, I enjoy the show and don't miss Leno one bit at 11:35.

Yeah, Jimmy Fallon does have some lame bits, but he also has some very funny ones. I like the bit he does where he writes out the thank you cards. I also like when he does "Freestylin' with the Roots." I also like that he does a second bit involving one of the guests, which is usually pretty funny/entertaining.

With Conan, some of his bits are getting tiring too. "In the Year 2000" used to be very funny, but ever since they changed it to "in the year 3000" it's kind of stupid. Also stuff like "twitter tracker" is pretty stupid. I also don't like his interviewing style (as I've stated before). In any case, I change the channel most of the time when the interviews start because I really don't give a shit what most of these assholes who get interviewed have to say about anything.