• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Computer question

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day, for some unexplainable reason, the CD Rom on my PC quit working. The computer aparently doesn't read it. It was working fine, because I was listeningto a CD, but then it quit. When I load a CD, I just get a note saying "F is not accessible. The device is not ready."
Is there an easy fix for this, or perhaps a download?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Maybe a software conflict. The first thing I'd do is install the latest drivers for your cd-rom. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for the page with drivers. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Download and install the newest one. Post again if that doesn't work.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken. I did a search and found a site. But I found out that the maker of my PC, Cybermax, apparently went bankrupt, and the links to Cybermasx drivers sites were down. Is there a generic driver that would work? It's a CD/DVD player, so I would think there should be a compatible driver. Any ideas?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Most likely the drive is made by a different manufacturer. Go to your control panel then click on system. Choose the 'Hardware' tab on top and then click on the 'Device Manager' button. Click on the '+' sign next to "DVD/CD-ROM" drives. You should see the brand name of the drive come up. While you're there, double click on the drive and check its status. It should say "This device is working properly" and under 'Device Usage' it should say "Use this device. (Enabled)"

All those instructions are for Windows XP. If I remember right, other versions of windows should be very similar.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken. I found out it's a Toshiba. After much searching, I found that it is a discontinued drive. But I still found a driver, which I have downloaded to my desktop. Now I can't figure out how to install the damn thing. What kind of utility do I need? Thanks again.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Go to the same place as before and double click the Toshiba drive. Then click on the 'Driver' tab on top and then the "Update Driver" button. A Wizard will come up. Choose "Install from a list or specific location" then click 'Next.' Browse for the name of the file and follow the rest of the instructions.

I guess I should warn you that this probably won't fix your problem, but it's as good a place as any to start looking for a solution.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the last time I had a cd drive fail on me. I ended up buying a new one. That fixed things really quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads