• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Computer Monitor

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking to buy a new computer monitor, trying to keep the cost below $300, any suggestions?
-Grad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got an Acer 22" (x223w) that I am happy with. I also looked at some BenQ monitors at a similar price that looked good. Mind you, I use mine at work and I am not very picky about it.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I just got an Acer 22" (x223w) that I am happy with. I also looked at some BenQ monitors at a similar price that looked good. Mind you, I use mine at work and I am not very picky about it.

I have this exact same monitor. Comes with DVI cable, amazing monitor for the price (199 cad)

Berticus

Reaction score
Well I haven't really been keeping up, but Samsung is always a good deal. 2 years ago, Samsung had the blackest black, which is what drew my attention. No bleeding either, that is when the monitor is showing a pitch black "picture," you see very little back light. Even though I haven't been keeping up with the gambit, I can help you choose a great monitor.

For contrast ratio, obviously the higher the better. However, measuring contrast ratio is a bit difficult. So you'll want to either go to a store and see a monitor on display yourself or read reviews and benchmarks. Back then I wouldn't settle for anything less than 700:1. I predict nowadays I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1000:1 or even 2000:1.

For brightness I try to aim as close to 250 cd/m^2. Brighter monitors allow for more vivid colors, but it can also mean bleeding.

For response time, faster is obviously better. However, in terms of miliseconds, you really won't notice a difference of 2 ms. That being said, slowest response time I will ever select is 8 ms.

The input is also important. Having something digital like DVI will outperform analog (VGA). With VGA, the graphics card has to convert digital signals to analog, then the monitor converts it back to digital. You end up losing a lot of information in the process.

The one thing I regret about choosing a monitor is not going wide screen. Not only is it better for watching shows and movies, but it's excellent for viewing text as well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40