• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Computer Help Needed

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Saved a Power Point Presentation onto a disc over the weekend in another computer. Now my computer will not read said file.

Any suggestions?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
umm, a CD-R...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check if it reads in any other computer. If not, and if it's a cheap cdr, it may be lost.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
It's a Fuji...

It read in the original computer. Maybe I'll take it down to Kinko's and give it a shot.

Plus I can make another identity and have conversations with myself.

devil.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you close the session? If the CD remains open and you did not close the session, the CD will play on the original computer, but will not be read by another computer until the write session is closed and the TOC is encoded onto the CD.

Jon.

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
I agree with imageWIS. You may not have closed the disc, so that a true CD-R/RW drive can read it, but a regular CD-ROm drive would not be able to.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I dunno. I thought I closed the session. Saved and exited out of the program...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the session of you using the program/computer -- the 'session' that is a write operation on a CDR. There are issues sometimes with CDRs not being able to be read by other drives if the session is not 'closed' meaning, roughly, that you're done with the disk and don't wish to do anything more with it.

You said the computer will not read the said file -- what does that mean? Is the file visible in the directory tree, and when you click it nothing happens, or does the disk not appear in the tree when you insert it?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
My computer does not recognize that there is a file on the CD-R.

The original computer I wrote it on recognized it, and I was able to pull up the file.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what it is then.

You'll need to go back to the original computer, right click the disk in the tree, and there should be an option to close the disk or make it readable in other computers. If not, try typing directcd into the 'run' command box in the start menu. A window should open, and somewhere in there is an 'options' button with an option for closing the disks on ejection. It's not a one-size-fits all solution because disk writing is done by so many programs now...

If the orig computer is inconvenient to get to, the Kinkos has a good shot of working, especially if you can't normally write to CDs with the drive on your system.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By 'Kinkos has a good shot of working' I mean that you'd have to go there and follow the same procedure -- the disk needs to be closed for you to read it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My computer does not recognize that there is a file on the CD-R.

The original computer I wrote it on recognized it, and I was able to pull up the file.

Is it too big to email to yourself?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Tried to. This particular computer way f***d up. Tried to e-mail, but file either ended up in a web folder that wouldn't open, or in a Power Point file where it appeared I had to e-mail slide by slide. I think I should shoot it and put it out of its misery.

Can anyone loan me a trad pistol?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Tried to. This particular computer way f***d up. Tried to e-mail, but file either ended up in a web folder that wouldn't open, or in a Power Point file where it appeared I had to e-mail slide by slide. I think I should shoot it and put it out of its misery.

Can anyone loan me a trad pistol?

Is a Ruger trad enough?

If you can get on the forum from the other computer, you can attach it to a post in the Squirrel forum and then download it from there from the other (other) computer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads