• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Computer help needed: data migration

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My computer won't boot to Windows because of a software problem, according to Dell tech support. They told me I need to have my files migrated to an external hard drive so that I can format and reinstall. It looks like it's going to cost me $100 to perform the data migration. I have: my computer (which doesn't boot to windows), my wife's computer, and an external hard drive. Given what I have, is there any way to do this on my own? I'm very grateful for any help you can offer, H_S.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What I'd do:

Option a) install your hard drive into your wife's computer and boot her computer.
OR
Option b) get an external HD enclosure, attach to your wife's computer (lets you boot her computer and attach your drive afterwards - no interference). Option b also works in case your wife has a laptop

In either case your drive should spin up and you can pull files off with no trouble. Use the other external HD to hold them for now.

After that, I'd re-install your drive and boot from the Windows CD to see if Windows can be repaired.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much an external hard drive enclosure would cost?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Any idea how much an external hard drive enclosure would cost?
Cheap. Check out newegg.com or some other online retailer. A decent one shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks. There are plenty of cheap ones you can buy on fleabay for cheap too, but you get what you paid for.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung SP2504C hard drive. Apparently the interface is SATA 3.0 Gbps. Do I buy a SATA external enclosure or are there more specifics I'll need to know to find the right kind? Thanks again, H_S.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Samsung SP2504C hard drive. Apparently the interface is SATA 3.0 Gbps. Do I buy a SATA external enclosure or are there more specifics I'll need to know to find the right kind? Thanks again, H_S.

I'd google the SATA specs, because I think there are different data speeds for SATA. iirc, the drive will probably take whichever SATA connection it sees, which isn't really the end of the world since the rate limiting step will probably be the USB connection.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several live CDs that allow you to boot into a temporary OS and you can then backup your data to the external drive.

There's Bart's PE and http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

They require you to build them though using your original install disk. I'm sure it would be easy enough to find a functional copy on the web e.g. torrent sites.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even using a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux may work. I know Ubuntu lets you boot from the disk to try it out without installing.

Puppy Linux can even be loaded from a USB drive although your computer would have to support booting from one.

http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-...-cd-192982.php

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Even using a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux may work. I know Ubuntu lets you boot from the disk to try it out without installing. Puppy Linux can even be loaded from a USB drive although your computer would have to support booting from one. http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-...-cd-192982.php
I think someone asking this question may be slightly out of their comfort zone booting *nix - the OS CD image boot is an easy solution if the OP doesn't want to pull hardware from the box.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002 Great for any type of drive - plug drive into this thing, plug in the power, then plug this into a USB port on the working computer. (Do it in that order.) Another option might be a repair install of Windows, but if you have a SATA drive there's a good chance you'll need a driver disk for it to do the repair so it might be a little beyond what you'd want to try to do on your own. It's not that hard but in any case backing it up first would be a good idea.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I think someone asking this question may be slightly out of their comfort zone booting *nix - the OS CD image boot is an easy solution if the OP doesn't want to pull hardware from the box.

Yeah maybe which is why I suggested trying to download a completed copy of Bart PE rather than building it.

However using something like Puppy Linux is fairly straightforward. Download the ISO to his wife's computer, burn it onto a disk, stick it in the laptop and press F8 or F12 or whatever on boot and choose to boot off of the disk.

Not really a big deal.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My computer won't boot to Windows because of a software problem, according to Dell tech support.

Well there's yer problem!
laugh.gif

(just kidding, I hope some PC guy here can help you get it sorted).

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the advice on using a hard drive enclosure or a Linux boot CD is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics