1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Crash

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bradford, May 22, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

OK - for all you more computer savvy folks out there than me, I need some help.

I was playing Second Life last night and my system froze up and wouldn't let me log off. I killed the power, but when I went to restart it just gives me a blue screen.

I've tried loading Windows in Safe Mode as well, but it just comes up blank.

I can get a DOS screen, so I think it might be the video driver in Windows is just overloaded. Is there anything I can do in DOS to fix this?

HELP!!!!

2. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

...when I went to restart it just gives me a blue screen.

I've tried loading Windows in Safe Mode as well, but it just comes up blank.

I can get a DOS screen, so I think it might be the video driver in Windows is just overloaded. Is there anything I can do in DOS to fix this?

What's the text on the blue screen say? Important details are any filename in the text (usually a .SYS or .DLL file), error messages or error ID numbers.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Woah, nice. XP Pro or XP Home?
    You have a few options. You could look at running a repair of XP; if you can run the recovery consile you could repair it that way also.
    However, there is one more possibility. When you say the screen is blue, does it let you log in then give you a blank desktop?

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Yes - it's just a blank blue desktop - no icons visible.

Can't actually get to the select users screen so that I can log-in under an individual user.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

You can get a DOS screen? What version of Windows are you running?

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

You can get a DOS screen? What version of Windows are you running?

XP - I think...

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

XP - I think...

You think? Oh...

Ok, first off, find out what version of Windows you are running, because there is a big difference between XP and 2000. Even XP Home and XP Pro have quite a large difference.

Jon.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

I'd love to be a superstar here and tell you exactly what you need to do, but until we know more about it, I'll just pre-empt anyone by saying the obvious:

Buy a Mac. [​IMG]

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'd love to be a superstar here and tell you exactly what you need to do, but until we know more about it, I'll just pre-empt anyone by saying the obvious:

Buy a Mac. [​IMG]

OMG where is Tokyo Slim? J is trying to get him to switch to the pearlescent white side! Resist the evil, Brad [​IMG]

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Can you imagine the "discussions" J and Slim have about computing?

11. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Buy a Mac. [​IMG]
    Won't help him. He was playing a game. Maybe it's available for the Mac, but probably not. So the only thing he'd be able to do is Boot Camp his new Mac into Windows. True, then he'd have a beautiful machine. But he'd have the same garbage on the screen that he does now. If not right away, then soon enough.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Bradford, first step would be to open the BIOS and revert to safe/optimal settings if you have the option to do so, and see if this fixes it. If you don't have this option, don't worry about it. The next thing I would do is start yanking parts out and running on a barebones set-up. Try it with just HD / Video card / one stick of RAM... no sound card, no network card, etc. etc.. (don't bother pulling out CD drives, they're rarely ever the culprit of this issue). If it works, start putting things in one by one until it fails start up again. IMO, it sounds like a bad or burnt out part. If it was a simple video driver issue, you would still be able to get into safe mode because Win wouldn't be loading the drivers to get in. BTW, Second Life is out on Mac. [​IMG]

13. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

It seems to be a Windows issue. I am running XP Home, but the problem is, I don't have a Windows disk from Microsoft.

All I have is the program/recovery disks from EMachines who manufactured my machine. If I run those to reinstall Windows, I will lose all of the data on my hard drive.

At this point, it appears the only option is to install an additional hard drive, load Windows to that drive and use it to access the hard drive with the data.

That is - unless someone else has a better idea...

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

It seems to be a Windows issue. I am running XP Home, but the problem is, I don't have a Windows disk from Microsoft.

All I have is the program/recovery disks from EMachines who manufactured my machine. If I run those to reinstall Windows, I will lose all of the data on my hard drive.

At this point, it appears the only option is to install an additional hard drive, load Windows to that drive and use it to access the hard drive with the data.

That is - unless someone else has a better idea...

I dont know if the recovery disks have it, but the regular versions of Windows install discs have a "repair' install option that replaces all the system files but leaving the apps/data intact, you may want to try that.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

I dont know if the recovery disks have it, but the regular versions of Windows install discs have a "repair' install option that replaces all the system files but leaving the apps/data intact, you may want to try that.
    Ditto. You could also buy a full copy of XP and install a full new install on the old drive in a new directory. This would at least avoid having to buy a new hard drive.

16. ATM

ATM Senior member

Ditto. You could also buy a full copy of XP and install a full new install on the old drive in a new directory. This would at least avoid having to buy a new hard drive.
    Would a borrowed XP CD work here or is there some sort of anti-piracy mechanism that would prevent it?

17. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Would a borrowed XP CD work here or is there some sort of anti-piracy mechanism that would prevent it?

Nope, should be fine as long as the activation code that came with the eMachine is used. AFAIK M$ uses the same code structure for full and repair versions.

18. j

j Senior member Admin

Nope, should be fine as long as the activation code that came with the eMachine is used. AFAIK M$ uses the same code structure for full and repair versions.
    No, they use different codes for OEM versions and retail versions, and IIRC the OEM versions are coded to the processor serial numbers, etc. However, if you install someone else's copy (assuming they are not also using the serial number or this would be "illegal" or at least against the license agreement) you can still activate it on a different computer and it will install fine. If you have trouble activating it online, you call their number and their system will activate it for you. You may have to promise that it is only installed on one computer.

Personally, I think since you already paid for a copy of XP with the computer, you have rights to do whatever is necessary to get a copy of XP Home working on the computer without buying another copy. But MS probably doesn't see it that way.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Ugh... Emachines. I hate them almost as much as I hate Apple. [​IMG]

They cut corners with the quality of their components, use refurb mobo's and HD's, and sell advertizing space on your computer. They don't even give you an XP disk? Cheap bastards.

20. sonick

sonick Senior member