• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comprehensive List of Style-Forum Passable/Approved Stores (All Kinds).

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's always complaint by everyone on this site, including myself, that the masses are ill-dressed. What better way to help the SF public than by making a comprehensive list, at least for the East Coast, on SF-approved department stores, boutiques, discount stores and thrift stores?

This is harder than it seems at first glance, because the name of the store tells nothing about it; one Saks Off Fifth might be terrific, and another might be terrible.

I thought of this because people talking about good Filene's Basements/Marshalls'/TJ Maxx's, but I don't know where they are! All I see are terrible ones. So this geographical map could save people much time, and be a useful public service.

See my below post for an example of how this might be done.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good option for a pinned thread when its all cleaned up and done. You want us to toss out what we know from our regions for good compilations? Although we all have our secret places that we like to keep, well, secret
smile.gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*POST IN PROGRESS, DO NOT QUOTE*

Yes, I would like everyone to toss out what they know.

It would also help to grade them.

To start:

New Jersey:

Princeton

J. Crew (Boutique)- Very Good.
J. McLaughlin (Boutique)- Fair.
Nearly New Thrift Shop (Thrift)- Excellent.
Nick Hilton (Boutique)- Excellent.
Ralph Lauren (Boutique)- Excellent.

Trenton

Red/White/Blue (Thrift)- Used to Good, now Poor.

West Windsor

Lord and Taylor (Department)- Fair.
Marshall's - Poor.
TJ Maxx - Poor.
Filene's Basement - Fair to Good.

Atlantic City Outlets

Polo Outlet - Fair to Good
Brooks Brothers Outlet - Good
J. Crew Outlet - Fair

Jersey Gardens Outlets

Neiman Marcus Last Call - Excellent
Daffy's - Fair
Marshall's - Poor
Saks Off Fifth - Fair
Brooks Brothers Outlet - Fair

Anything I missed?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah...yelp...

But I feel yelp has too much "white noise". This is more of a gated community, and will have a higher level of reflection and discourse.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the New Jersey list, Northshore Menswear in Sea Bright is a great little shop for the trad set.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
To add to the New Jersey list, Northshore Menswear in Sea Bright is a great little shop for the trad set.

Thank you. So many people viewing without even contributing a little...

Animals.
frown.gif

heard546

Reaction score
In Dallas/DFW Area

Off 5th Avenue - Excelelnt to Good Depending on When Shop
Neiman Marcus Last Call - Good
Nordstrom Rack - Good
Dillards Clearance Center (Irving, TX) - Decent
TJ Max (Irving) - A little above average. Good Selection of highend jeans. Dress shirts are decent
name brand shirt. Tie selection is very poor.
Saks 5th Willow Bend MAll (Plano/Frisco) - Amazing Sales on High Quality Items. I saw some items
were deeply discounted.

I will providee another update about the San Marcus, TX outlet center that has a variety of name brand stores ranging from Hickey, Zegna, Versace, Off 5th, and Neiman's to name a few.

tony

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filene's in Back Bay (Boston) carries a decent selection of Oxxford and Luciano Barbera suits. Everything else is a crapshoot, although I have found some Zegna, Borrelli and Kiton ties in the vault.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Thank you. So many people viewing without even contributing a little...

Animals.
frown.gif

To be honest, given the time of year I assumed this was a post about ways to give to charity like the "make a wish" thread, not a thread on the best places to shop.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, name them if they've even once had something good like RLPL. Marks them as at least occasionally worth checking, if you're bored.

Thanks for the contributions, guys!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
To be honest, given the time of year I assumed this was a post about way to give to charity like the "make a wish" thread, not a thread on the best places to shop.

Haha, and no one likes giving to charity.
smile.gif
I will change the thread title.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Haha, and no one likes giving to charity.
smile.gif
I will change the thread title.

and now my post makes no sense
smile.gif

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546
In Dallas/DFW Area Off 5th Avenue - Excelelnt to Good Depending on When Shop Neiman Marcus Last Call - Good Nordstrom Rack - Good Dillards Clearance Center (Irving, TX) - Decent TJ Max (Irving) - A little above average. Good Selection of highend jeans. Dress shirts are decent name brand shirt. Tie selection is very poor. Saks 5th Willow Bend MAll (Plano/Frisco) - Amazing Sales on High Quality Items. I saw some items were deeply discounted. I will providee another update about the San Marcus, TX outlet center that has a variety of name brand stores ranging from Hickey, Zegna, Versace, Off 5th, and Neiman's to name a few. tony
I'll add to the list for Tony; I know that this list is not totally in the spirit. It represents the higher priced options in Dallas: Mallasadi Men's Boutique 5100 Belt Line Rd # 610 Dallas, TX 75254 (972) 404-4045 www.mallasadi.com Good, small boutique with expensive Italian clothes - Brioni, Belvest, etc. Culwell & Son 6319 Hillcrest Ave Dallas, TX 75205 (214) 522-7000 www.culwell.com Good store with a trad flavor. Oxxford.
cullwell1rb7.jpg
cullwell2nn6.jpg
Pockets Menswear Inc 46 Highland Park Vlg Dallas, TX 75205 (214) 368-1167 www.pocketsmenswear.com Small boutique in Highland Park Village. Carries good labels. Excellent store. Zegna. Brooks Brothers 3636 Mckinney Ave # 100 Dallas, TX 75204 (214) 520-8854 www.brooksbrothers.com Large store in the West Village with lots of selection. Good store. Robert Talbott Inc 87 Highland Park Vlg Dallas, TX 75205 (214) 526-6800 www.roberttalbott.com? Outstanding store for Talbott shirts and ties. St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store 3052 W Northwest Highway Dallas, TX 75220 (214) 373-7837 www.svdpthrift.org Good thrift store with quality clothing on occasion. Raganburns Inc 5550 W Lovers Ln Dallas, TX 75209 (214) 369-1133 www.raganburns.com Small boutique with limited selection. Hickey Freeman. Mark Shale 13350 Dallas Pkwy # 2750 Dallas, TX 75240 (972) 458-2428 www.markshale.com Mall store that has digressed from better days. Coppley MTM. Daniel Taylor Clothier Inc 3699 Mckinney Ave # 313 Dallas, TX 75204 (214) 521-0433 Outstanding boutique in the West Village with a good selection of Samuelsohn tailored clothing. Duncan Quinn 2420 Victory Park Ln Dallas, TX 75219 (214) 953-1953 Bespoke shop in the Victory Park complex.
duncanquinnlf6.jpg
Stanley Korshak Homeshop 500 Crescent Ct # 100 Dallas, TX 75201 (214) 871-3620 www.korschak.com Outstanding store but extremely expensive and exclusive. Great selection of the best clothing - Brioni, Kiton, etc.
stanleykorshak88copymy3.jpg
Neiman Marcus Neiman Marcus 1618 Main St Dallas, TX 75201 (214) 761-2300 www.neimanmarcus.com This is an institution. It is outstanding. Expensive. They have everything - Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, Oxxford, Zegna, etc.
neimanmarcusel8.jpg
Neiman Marcus 8687 N Central Expy # 400 Dallas, TX 75225 (214) 363-8311 www.neimanmarcus.com This store is in a mall and it is huge. Outstanding. Expensive. They have everything - Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, Oxxford, Zegna, etc. Barneys New York 8687 N Central Expy # 1224 Dallas, TX 75225 (469) 221-4700 www.barneys.com Another mall store and outstanding selection - Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, Battistoni, Zegna, etc. Expensive. Couture Consignment 2926 Oak Lawn Ave Dallas, TX 75219 (214) 219-8588‎ Good consignment shop with high end items - Oxxford, Zegna, Versace. Good deals! John

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics