1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive List of Links to High-End Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

.....more to the point have you seen that the heel dont sit flat too? after the detailed deiscusion from last time i when an checked all my shoes both bespoke and RTW and the all site flat and some even the soles do too with the tress in

Yes, but it isn't that bad than on some others posted around. Still strange on a Cleverley, IMO.

I did speak recently to a very experienced last maker in London.

George Cleverley (the man) believed in the need of a properly made shoe to be "twisted". For this reason, all of his shoes were designed with heels off the ground. Although the last maker I spoke to does not share this theory, but he said categorically that this is a (possibly misguided) characteristic of George Cleverley's shoes.

It might be, that this theory came from Tuczek, but I don't know that.

Cleverley (the firm) continues with that tradition. It is not a mistake, it is intentionally like that.

You might want to talk to George Glasgow about that.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Bengal, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate your first hand researches and information.

IMO, Cleverley wouldn't be there, if it would be wrong. Btw, the Tuczek theory sounds reasonable, as he was trained "old school" and was a visionary person.

PS: We've been joking around a bit. [​IMG]

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bengal, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate your first hand researches and information.

IMO, Cleverley wouldn't be there, if it would be wrong. Btw, the Tuczek theory sounds reasonable, as he was trained "old school" and was a visionary person.

PS: We've been joking around a bit. [​IMG]

agree! soz for the in house pun, but i will ask in John when next i am in London

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

George Cleverley (the man) believed in the need of a properly made shoe to be "twisted".

The Saint Crispins's RTW/MTO are like that, although that is small sample anecdote.

- B

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

The Saint Crispins's RTW/MTO are like that, although that is small sample anecdote.

- B

Don't be shy. You' re one of the guys, who holds the bar up.

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

The oldest and the best shoemaker in Warsaw - Jan Kielman. The company is 125 years old and is still run by the Kielman family...

www.kielman.pl

Anybody have any experience with their products? I think the idea of this semi-bespoke service is very interesting. This is just beautiful:

[​IMG]

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

- B

They do lovely work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

How about Bruno Magli and Hugo Boss?

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

How about Bruno Magli and Hugo Boss?

Second only to Johnston and Murphy and Stacey Adams in terms of beautiful high end footwear. The rubber-soled Hugo Boss are particularly divine. The beauty of the machine stitching and elegance of the pointy-toed lasts are just, without words.

11. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

Second only to Johnston and Murphy and Stacey Adams in terms of beautiful high end footwear. The rubber-soled Hugo Boss are particularly divine. The beauty of the machine stitching and elegance of the pointy-toed lasts are just, without words.
    Dont be so hard to junior members (I'm one myself)

12. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Dont be so hard to junior members (I'm one myself)

I'm one myself, too, and didn't think that was being hard on someone who hasn't bothered using the search function. The level of sarcasm was just about right.

13. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

I'm one myself, too, and didn't think that was being hard on someone who hasn't bothered using the search function. The level of sarcasm was just about right.
    Fair enough.

So, what about Cole Haan? [​IMG]

14. mwill132

mwill132 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to buy my first pair of SF approved shoes. I've got a budget of about $300. What brands should a young guy look for that are well made, stylish, and comfortable?

15. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

I'm hoping to buy my first pair of SF approved shoes. I've got a budget of about $300. What brands should a young guy look for that are well made, stylish, and comfortable?

For that budget (and even lower) and SF approval, IMHO, Allen Edmonds ebay store or Ron Rider (Marteganis) Ebay store is the first way to go; plal.com is another option

16. bigbilly

bigbilly Member

17. vanbling

vanbling Active Member

Please don't bully me, but my Marlboro Classics hand made boots have been outstanding! So durable, stylish and comfortable. Had the goodyear welted sole replaced twice in 4 years of regular use and are still going strong as my favourite footwear.

18. trajan

trajan Senior member

19. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Armani overcoat
    Gucci sweater
    NSF pant
    BJ belt
    Zegna socks
    Nocona boots
    RLP cologne
    Tiffany watch

20. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Wandering round the Berluti London shop last week I found their shoes somewhat less gross than last year but looking at the website I realise they were just not showing the stupid stuff.