• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments

Orion_95

Reaction score
Through the WAYW threads and the like, there is a lot of complimenting going on around here...

But do you guys find yourself complimenting random people on the street about their looks, or a specific item?

Personally I do it often. I think it is a great way to brighten someones day, and een boost your own confidence.

I just received the best compliment I could get... 2 very attractive girls on the street with the comment of "You've got great style!" Made me feel great, and I like passing that onto others.

I think our "type" of people are the most prone to giving compliments, but do you guys do it often?

Ty.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orion_95
Through the WAYW threads and the like, there is a lot of complimenting going on around here...

But do you guys find yourself complimenting random people on the street about their looks, or a specific item?
Ty.

I do try to when I see something that strikes me as well done. Trying to keep some courtesy and positivity in my world.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually try to keep it more functional since I am a massive homophobe. So instead of "Hey you look gooooood man" I will say "what kind of shoes are those? they are nice"

epliohunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I usually try to keep it more functional since I am a massive homophobe. So instead of "Hey you look gooooood man" I will say "what kind of shoes are those? they are nice"

Nice shoes, wanna ****?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if someone looks surprisingly well done, i compliment if its appropriate.

Sometimes it just comes off awkward, so i dont too often.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, if I feel someone's rocking a look far too well to go uncomplimented. Of course, stylish dudes aren't an everyday phenomenon for me, so I don't think much of it. If a guy I don't know compliments me, he often won't be alone - it'll be amongst a group, so I don't find it random as others may be commenting on my appearance too

I'm like Ty - loving it when attractive girls compliment me. I had one evening where I got 3 separate compliments on different items - trench, shoes, tie - and an ego trip on a different occasion when a girl that spotted me in Mayfair ran into me in Notting Hill 7 hours later, having taken note of my "70's flair" - incidentally, she worked at Dunhill

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
If I'm in a meeting that includes someone who is wearing a similar item as I am and I want to connect with them, I'll say "Nice shirt" or whatever the similar item is. Otherwise, I notice but don't say anything. I wouldn't say anything to a stranger - some people are wierd about that kind of thing and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cautious...the bastard who offers compliments most likely uses them as a form of flattery and tries to screw you up somehow

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epliohunk
Nice shoes, wanna ****?

Do you want to see my shoe collection at home?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orion_95

Not about their looks, but a specific item, yes. Last week while at lunch I told a guy in line at the restaurant that I liked his jacket, which was a nice dark gray/black glen plaid. I suspect his girlfriend bought it for him - he gave me a puzzled "Uh, thanks" but she lit up and nudged him in a manner that said "See?"

It doesn't come up often in today's world - typically the guys wearing the nicest stuff are in their 60s; I don't see how Scott Shuman does it. A 30-ish Italian woman I see around the neighborhood all the time might have been the first stranger I ever complimented - she always looks flawless and stylish. It's rare to find someone that young that's figured out how to winnow the stuff that doesn't work from their closet; I think I was about 40 myself.

Orion_95

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the feedback.

I do generally find myself complimenting more girls that guys on their style (not as a pick-up, I think I just notice girls more) but I definitely have no hesitations about picking out a great item on a guy.

Ty.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I don't mind complimenting someone on their wardrobe or detail in particular, I just don't see it that often. More on women like Orion said.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads