• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complexion and colour co-ordination.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a 'definitive' website or book on complexion and colour co-ordination? Ideally something with pictures of brown/dark skinned men and what they should wear. I'm having great difficulty knowing what colours to buy and am worried I'm wasting money buying clothes that aren't right.

Flusser's 'Dressing The Man' has some info, but it isn't indepth enough. Some websites I've seen offering differing information. I need an idiots guide, full of pictures, to show me what to do.

FWIW I've been thought of as Brazilian, Egyptian, Hispanic and even Turkish once. (OR maybe it was Greek, though I don't want to start a political discussion). When I told a colleague I thought I had an olive complexion, he replied I was just 'brown'.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High contrast (if you are brown rather than olive), but stay away from black, unless you like looking like a gangster. Charcoals and navies are better. You can also experiment with darker off primary colors and bright colors, but be careful. Ultimately, you have to look in the mirror to figure out if something looks right.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
I think my two biggest mistakes are buying a dark brown hacking coat and a brown suit.  I thought I was a 'winter' type complexion and bought clothes whose colours seemed to fit with the season (well, more autmnal)*.

Hopefully I won't look like too much of a blob, though.  I'll pair the jacket with a light blue jumper and I'll wear a white shirt and kerchief with the brown suit.  OK, I'll still be a blob - but I'll be a stylish one goddammit.

*Or just because they looked nice in the shop.

Tks for the replies, BTW. Keep them coming.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of Asian complexions look surprisingly good in dark browns, thus the popularity of the color with lots of Japanese designers and designers popular among them (Margiela, Dries vn Noten, etc...)

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I believe that the definitive book is _Color Me Beautiful_. I forget the name of the author. It's aimed at women, but I don't see why a man couldn't consult.

My mom's old copy is very rooted in the 1970s. Perhaps there is an updated edition out there.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have slightly fair skin, thus I avoid colors that wash me out, like oranges, lighter greens and too much white.

I find that totally avoiding certain colors isn't the answer. Fabic texture has just as much to do with complimenting the skin tone. I can and do wear the above colors with varying fabric textures.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a relatively light skinned Indian (from India - not Native American) with Black hair. I am confused for Hispanic and Italian. I think hair color matters as much as skin color.

I think I look fine in browns - but awful in blacks and slightly lighter shades of grey. Blues seem to work best on me.

Even a great suit - if not suited (pun intended) for the wearer will look awful.

Rajesh

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know Steve's book (see Buying and Selling) has a section on this with a big chart, but to be honest, I couldn't really understand it. That doesn't mean it isn't good or helpful, though.

dunhill

Reaction score
Carole Jackson wrote Color Me Beautiful which explains the whole color thing. There's also a version for men, but the original book works for men as well as women.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll investigate all things mentioned.

Incidentally I had looked on Ask Andy, but of the two pages I found specfically about complexion, each seemed to different sets of colours suited me.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
reviving an old thread..
i'm trying to find out how to determine my skin colour/tone..and then sites/advice on how to best work with my colouring..
i'm surprised this topic hasn't been covered in detail yet on SF

for those of you wanting to chip in with sarcastic/funny comments feel free, but if you're on SF then you do care how you look

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads