• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Completely revamping my wardrobe in a couple months (need style tips!!)

justin_o88

Reaction score
For the last year or so I was kinda going for the urban look...buying some stuff online at like ..........com for instance...I would go to stores like Pac Sun. I'm giving that look up. I'm turning 21 this month and I think I should stay ahead of the game by appearing more mature than the average college girl....so they look up to me. I want to appear mature...and maybe you could even say classy... I don't want to wear any blazers though or overdo it too much. I don't want to wear anything that would look ridiculous in a college classroom either. I was thinking of getting more collared button up shirts. Where do you recommend I buy some? My budget is say maybe as much as $1000 for new clothes atm. I need some advice on some shoes too. Not too formal. I have to ease myself into this change. Just in case my physique matters, I'm 6'2 and 205 lbs...medium build, on my way to getting a great physique. Any clothes you can recommend that showcase a great physique would be nice to keep in mind for about a year until I can use them. I also want to add some kind of jewelry to my attire...watch or bracelet or something. I don't know if I want to get the ears pierced . How are necklaces or chains these days...they still in style at all? Here's a pic of me if it will help determine what may look good on me:
547i82.jpg

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very classy pic you chose for your first post in this forum.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The streetwear and denim forum might get you more information as well, but I've been on a similar kick (although a few years older and going for a more business look) for about the last half year. I'll just give you what I've learned so far. First, the fit of the cloths is the most important thing that people notice. When they compliment an outfit, the first thing they are likely to have notice is the fit (assuming you're not wearing some ugly color or design). A properly tailored middle of the road shirt will look better than an off the shelf expensive shirt. Second, there are certain things worth spending more money on because they'll stay with you. Shoes, I think fall into this category. Suits too, but it doesn't seem you're going that route. Third, get cloths that are still you. Just because you hear ten people here say that Levi's Vintage Classic jeans are the best doesn't mean they're what you want. The same goes for looks as a whole. If you don't feel like you can pull off a lavender shirt or a scarf, don't go for it. A big part of this whole thing is the confidence you gain. That's all I've got at the moment. Also, I'd crop that pic you posted so as not to offend anyone
wink.gif

justin_o88

Reaction score
I don't even know where to go to get tailored shirts lol. I understand what you're saying though.

And yeah, shoes are definitely something I would spend a bit more money on. I don't know where people find these super expensive stores with the foreign names, etc. Those aren't in my mall. I would have to travel to find them, or order online. I've had a few tragic situations with online shopping because you don't really know the size or fit of what you're buying until you get it in the mail.

If I had to think of some stores that had some clothes that fit what I'm looking for I would say maybe Macy's or Express. I honestly haven't done too much looking since I'm broke atm. I will still want to wear jeans so...what are some shoes that are more formal than tennis shoes that go well with jeans that aren't too formal?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justin_o88
I don't know where people find these super expensive stores with the foreign names, etc. Those aren't in my mall.

lol

Seriously though man, these "help me I'm a blank slate" threads rarely ever end well. You'd be better lurking around here (and the S&D) forum rather than posting asking to be given answers. Read around for a few weeks and once you have the base knowledge you can begin asking more in-depth questions.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah dude...just observe.
Just start reading....whenever I have time. I can pm you some great threads.
You can't be stylish over night....

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justin_o88
I don't even know where to go to get tailored shirts lol. I understand what you're saying though.

And yeah, shoes are definitely something I would spend a bit more money on. I don't know where people find these super expensive stores with the foreign names, etc. Those aren't in my mall. I would have to travel to find them, or order online. I've had a few tragic situations with online shopping because you don't really know the size or fit of what you're buying until you get it in the mail.

If I had to think of some stores that had some clothes that fit what I'm looking for I would say maybe Macy's or Express. I honestly haven't done too much looking since I'm broke atm. I will still want to wear jeans so...what are some shoes that are more formal than tennis shoes that go well with jeans that aren't too formal?

One staple would be a brown wingtip. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...F08_splash.jpg That particular make and model of shoe is going to be expensive (and not a going out shoe which is what I'm guessing you'd want). The style though will work with jeans (you might not think so at first, but try it and you'll be surprised).

I agree with the others below. Stick around, lurk, read, and then ask questions and then shop.

justin_o88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
yeah dude...just observe.
Just start reading....whenever I have time. I can pm you some great threads.
You can't be stylish over night....

Then PM away! I'd love to read them.

And to above poster: Yeah I'm looking for a wardrobe that would suit me best in a college campus environment / college party scene / club scene.

Kempt

Reaction score
My opinion is probably going to be at odds with some of the more knowledgeable members of this forum and some of the advice you've already received. If I had a $1000 and wanted to re-vamp a college wardrobe and had the aim of keeping it party/club/classroom oriented I would becareful about shoe choice.

First off as anyone will tell you the mileage you get out of a good shoe is very dependent upon the degree to which you develop a rotation in usage (and this goes for suits/shirts etc). Simply put, the more variety you have in your wardrobe the greater longevity you will get out of your items. Any item, whether it's a John Lobb monk or a Kiton suit is going to wear out if you constantly have it on.

On top of that you don't want to be bringing your $300 shoes (nearly a 1/3rd of your budget at 1k) out to a crowded college bar where you're going to have your shoes stepped on, be walking through pools of spilt beer/cocktails and also having alcohol spilled on them, regularly. Any shoe is going to get destroyed in a short order.

That being said I would look to tailored shirts from an online tailor. While everyone here loves to talk about the relationship you develop with a tailor etc (which I agree is a good thing to foster, especially as your needs grow) you're simply not going to get the number of shirts/pants necessary on your budget to establish a decent rotation. Again, you're not going to want to be going out on the town worrying about possibly ruining a $150 shirt, which is probably what it's going to cost you at any brick and mortar tailor.

As others have said, you're best off trying to glean as much info as you can from older threads, look through the "What are you wearing thread" for some potential inspiration (both here and in street wear).

If I were you I'd look to pick up two pairs of shoes, a brown and a black, perhaps a monk/double monk if thats your thing as they are generally viewed as more casual than a wingtip. For pants, khakis, maybe a navy chino, some dark washed jeans, wool flannels will be good too. The rest on shirts, I'd get a minimum of 1-2 QUALITY white shirts as they will be forever staples in your wardrobe, you can dress them down under a sweater or when the time comes with suit and tie for future interviews/workplace uniform.

I'd also suggest a navy blazer, even though you were opposed to a jacket. I think it's a staple that can be easily dressed up or down as need be in a college setting. If you're careful with pattern/colors on your shirts a lot of them can transition to work usage when you graduate and depending on your place of employment. Get a few in darker colors for the clubs, but make the majority of them work place appropriate.

Depending on where you are going to work (location and vocation) many of these items will transition if they survive your last year or two. Also, the item or two that doesn't survive won't be such a huge loss and replacing them won't feel as painful.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Start browsing and reading the forum, especially the WAYW-Threads. Create a "style ideas" folder on your computer and save the pictures with the styles you like to it. That really helps.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the main thing is not to rush out and spend your money in one big "wardrobe change" what you like will change as you buy things and learn more, so go out and just pick up a few pieces, wear them, see what you like and then buy some more in a couple of months or whatever, do it slowly, this also allows you to take advantage of any really good deals you come across.

If I was doing this in the states I think I would start out at J. Crew, its not very exciting, but they have all the basic slightly smarter trousers and shirts and on sale they are pretty damn cheap.

Be cautious about running out and buying a pair of shoes at the top of your price bracket because you do run the risk of getting a load of beer and spew on them.
That said I have some loafers I wore to a foam party and they were fine, and a girl poured most of a vodka and lemonade into a pair of brogues and they came out ok too. Just don't spend it all on one pair of kick ass shoes, do some research and get something from one of the brands people consider "cheap but decent" on the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads