• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Completely Noob Shoe Question

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I would like to first apologize for my complete noobness! First of all, let me begin to explain the nature of my job and what I tend to wear on a daily basis:

I work in a 80% office environment with the balance of my time spent either outside or in a hot manufacturing plant. I live in Florida. I tend to wear slacks and button-down shirts with the occasional polo thrown in from time to time.

I am certainly in the minority here in that I wear a lot of mall brands. My closet consists mostly of Banana Republic, J. Crew, Jos A Bank, and the like.

My question is: does anyone know if I can find a better value than these shoes? I really like the deep, dark brown color. I actually picked them up today, and I feel like they look pretty good and are pretty comfy, but after reading on here, I have quickly found Banana Republic isn't a very "popular" brand. I can return them and get something different if you all think they are a total waste.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=547907012

What do you all think?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with these at the price. I have owned a few pairs of BR shoes and they have held up well. There are some out there who feel that buying inexpensive shoes is a waste and we should all save up for bench made English or Italian footwear, but this seems to fit very well with the rest of your wardrobe. It also sounds like the potential for damage to the shoes at your job exists, so don't break the bank.

Just make sure they are comfortable. I once read some advice somewhere: If a shore pinches your foot when you try it on, a good trick it to put on your old shoes, walk out of the store onto the street - and keep walking.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
There is nothing wrong with these at the price. I have owned a few pairs of BR shoes and they have held up well. There are some out there who feel that buying inexpensive shoes is a waste and we should all save up for bench made English or Italian footwear, but this seems to fit very well with the rest of your wardrobe. It also sounds like the potential for damage to the shoes at your job exists, so don't break the bank.

Just make sure they are comfortable. I once read some advice somewhere: If a shore pinches your foot when you try it on, a good trick it to put on your old shoes, walk out of the store onto the street - and keep walking.

Great, thanks!

I guess I should have noted - I bought them using a 20% off coupon, so they actually only ended up costing just over $110.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSW has a few styles of Frye loafers @ $99.00. They happen to fit my feet and I have bought several pairs. My oldest pair is over a year old and has held up well.

I have not had good luck with banana/jcrew et al.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also try Rockport. If you only have one pair of shoes that you wear every day, they will last about one quarter as long as if you have two that you rotate.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - any additional comments? These shoes are still in the box, and i might take them back and invest a little more in some "nicer" shoes, but I'm still on the fence.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR shoes, and I say this honestly as a person who owns them too, are utter trash.

Take them back. Spend the money on another shoe.

The spray on finish on the shoes and the glue that hold them together will both fall apart within the first few wearings.

I have a similar loafer from last season. Big mistake.

Check out the B/S forums here or Ebay for some shoes that will look good and will last you.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Okay - so based on the feedback, I ended up returning the Banana Republics. However, on my way out of the mall, I stopped by Allen Edmonds (big mistake!).

I walked out with a pair of AE Belmont:

6968.jpg

What do you guys think? These seem to fit the bill - exactly the color I was looking for. They are also rubber soled which means I can walk outside in the elements without fear of ruining the leather soles.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Yes, they are for work - but I do work primarily in an office environment, as I said before. I'm an HR Manager for a bottling company. I often have to walk outside, but I'm just walking, not working. But I also sometimes have to present to high level executives, where I need to look sharp. So, these shoes seem to fit the bill as both nice looking and versatile.

Now you guys have me stressed out - did I pay too much? Buy the wrong shoe?

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41
Yes, they are for work - but I do work primarily in an office environment, as I said before. I'm an HR Manager for a bottling company. I often have to walk outside, but I'm just walking, not working. But I also sometimes have to present to high level executives, where I need to look sharp. So, these shoes seem to fit the bill as both nice looking and versatile.

Now you guys have me stressed out - did I pay too much? Buy the wrong shoe?

Don't stress out over it bro. I purchased Alden black captoes full retail(over 400) and seriously regret it, but chalk it up to inexperience.

You can return them, its up to you.

But ebay is my best friend now. I've bought 2 AE loafers so far for under 100.

try it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads