• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete this James Dean look...

johnnyhandsome

Reaction score
No one, huh?

The pants I think I can find. It's the sweater vest that's tricky.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I don't think that's James Dean in the picture. But you can get the smokes at 7-11.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorta the wrong time of year for that isn't it? You may be seeing tweeds and woolens start showing up soon though in stores.

johnnyhandsome

Reaction score
I live in San Francisco, so it's always the time of year for sweaters.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
You think you can find grey flannel trousers, AND a sweater vest, AND a white oxford AND a pack of smokes?

Oops...AND horn rimmed glasses.

Dare to dream.

johnnyhandsome

Reaction score
I should mention that the waist size has to be a 28, the shirt and sweater vest a small, and the glasses a size 44-24.

And the smokes non-filter, of course.

Yes, I dare to dream.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
I don't think that's James Dean in the picture.

It is James Franco as James Dean, in the TV biopic James Dean from 2001.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Never be afraid to live your dreams." That's my motto. I also have "Hold on to Your Dreams and Never Let Go" as a back-up motto.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe

It's James Franco as James Dean, in the TV biopic James Dean from 2001.

Franco, eh? Thanks. They should have asked Penn to do it, 20 years ago.

The cigarette is wrong. Unusual to find them that long then, even with filters. When filters were introduced they weren't added to the length, they replaced some of it. I know about this. I started to smoke the year Dean died.

hamish5178

Reaction score

The cigarette is wrong. Unusual to find them that long then, even with filters. When filters were introduced they weren't added to the length, they replaced some of it. I know about this. I started to smoke the year he died.

Looks like a normal king-sized to me. . . Are those a recent invention? I don't see how a cigarette can get much shorter (unless it's unfiltered, but then it's the same amount of tobacco)

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Looks like a normal king-sized to me. . . Are those a recent invention? )

Yeah, but I don't know what recent is to you.

There used to be something called a 'regular' cigarette. (FDR smoked these before they invented the filter which is why you see him with a cigarette holder. 'See him', as in pictures. If you really see him, call Eleanor.)

Nobody, I think, makes regulars any more. As mentioned, when filters first came out they weren't added to the length of a regular, they replaced some of it. The tobacco part was very tiny. We called them 'Baby L&Ms' (my cigarette of choice at 10). Probably because they were so damn small, they soon added the filter withiout sacrifcing tobacco length, thus 'king size' was born' But I'm not sure any of this had happened by '53, which would be about the time of the Franco portrayal.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cigarette is wrong. Unusual to find them that long then, even with filters. When filters were introduced they weren't added to the length, they replaced some of it. I know about this. I started to smoke the year Dean died.

No, Sean Penn is an odious *************. Franco has charisma, much like Dean did, if less of it.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
No, Sean Penn is an odious *************. Franco has charisma, much like Dean did, if less of it.

If by charisma you mean the power of personality to draw people to you, then you may be right, Penn's cup does not overflow. But your phrasing may be masking something political, in which case, having only 12 posts, I'm not permitted to respond.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads