• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete N00B - Help Me Out!

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, and haven't even seen any other threads on the board like this so I don't even know if it's appropriate to post here, so apologies if this is in the wrong place or against the rules or something.

First, before I get to my problem I'll describe my situation really quickly. I graduated in May 2009 with a BS in Civil Engineering. However, because of the economy I haven't been able to find a job; because of this, I decided to go back to school for a major in Economics which I will graduate with in May of this year. What this basically means regarding my problem is that, instead of making $40,000-60,000 a year, I'm currently making around $10 an hour working a student job until I graduate in May and then (if I can't find an engineering job) getting another random part/full time job bartending or something random. So this basically means that I'm super limited financially with what I can do, which is incredibly annoying and I think makes this much more difficult to do.

Okay, now based on that background, my problem is basically that I have never really been good with style/fashion. I can look at others and figure out what works and why, but whenever I try to apply it to building up a good wardrobe for myself I always fail miserably. When it comes to applying any of it to myself I just get overwhelmed and lost. I think it's because I really do need to overhaul my entire wardrobe, which is a huge project and is pretty intimidating to me. Basically all I wear nowadays are 3 different pairs of jeans and a bunch of t-shirts. It really kills my self-esteem because I never have anything good to wear when I'm going out, and so I always feel unqualified to be wherever I am because I'm not well-dressed.

So I don't even know where to start with this. I've been reading this forum for a while and regularly check other sites (Sartorialist is one of my favorite sites), but I still have no idea where to go from here. I've been meaning to change this for a long time and finally just decided to make a thread on here hoping you guys could give me some kind of advice or direction. I just need a good starting point and some direction and I'm hoping I can take it from there.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Help, I've just LITERALLY gotten out of the shower, and I need to know the best way to get dry! I am LITERALLY soaking wet.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on man, it's even stickied.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280

Regardless I hope someone else can give you a hand here. Doesn't sound like your hopeless.
Thanks, I have no idea how I missed that.
smile.gif

JackM

Reaction score
Ah, another engineer making $10 an hour. We must be quite common these days.

Focus on one thing at a time and the task won't be so overwhelming. Go get some shirts without logos and get them altered to fit. Go get some pants that aren't too baggy. Slowly build up a nice shoe collection as you find items that you like in your price range. If you can, get someone to shop with you who has energy and good taste. If you have more specific questions, find the appropriate thread and ask away.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
I really do need to overhaul my entire wardrobe, which is a huge project and is pretty intimidating to me...
Originally Posted by JackM
Focus on one thing at a time and the task won't be so overwhelming.
This is great advice. If you're on a budget, just pick one thing to start with. For example, if you don't have any button-up shirts you like, then just make the decision to start with that; browse the B&S forum and eBay (not too hard to find a Zegna dress shirt under $50 on eBay if you aren't looking for a specific fabric pattern) until you find something you like that you can afford. Then you've got a button-up, either keeping looking for a second one or move on to t-shirts/pants/shoes.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot for the advice guys; I've always been a perfectionist with this all-or-nothing approach to problems, and so when it's something bigger like this I tend to get overwhelmed. I've decided to just focus on jeans for now, and to go from there.

The problem is, though, that I don't really know where to start. I actually wear tight jeans (instead of baggy), and so I'm not sure if the jeans I have now are a good fit or if they're too tight. Also, in terms of brands, all I really know about are mall brands (Old Navy - where I've gotten all my jeans in the past - and Gap, Urban Outfitters, etc...). I checked the jeans thread but that doesn't really help me as it's just people asking specific questions as opposed to more general help. Like I said earlier, I'm lost as to where to even start with this stuff, and so I can't really utilize this forum normally.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot for the advice guys; I've always been a perfectionist with this all-or-nothing approach to problems, and so when it's something bigger like this I tend to get overwhelmed. I've decided to just focus on jeans for now, and to go from there.

The problem is, though, that I don't really know where to start. I actually wear tight jeans (instead of baggy), and so I'm not sure if the jeans I have now are a good fit or if they're too tight. Also, in terms of brands, all I really know about are mall brands (Old Navy - where I've gotten all my jeans in the past - and Gap, Urban Outfitters, etc...). I checked the jeans thread but that doesn't really help me as it's just people asking specific questions as opposed to more general help. Like I said earlier, I'm lost as to where to even start with this stuff, and so I can't really utilize this forum normally.

IMO, the best fitting inexpensive jeans are Levis 501 and 514.

Pick up a pair of shrink to fit Levis, remove the pocket stitching if you so choose (I leave it on, some like it taken off) and you have decent looking, $40 jeans.

dls6128

Reaction score

There is no formula, so we can't help unless you have some idea of what you're looking for; we're not going to dress you. Start by reading the WAYWT archives. Browse the pictures, look at the ones you like, and figure out what you like about them. If you have more free time, read the Discussion thread; there is a lot of chaff in there, but you can see what other members like (and dislike) about fits. Once you think you know what you like, watch your spending; you're going to make mistakes, so you might as well minimize the cost.

Originally Posted by Motorsport226
IMO, the best fitting inexpensive jeans are Levis 501 and 514.

Pick up a pair of shrink to fit Levis, remove the pocket stitching if you so choose (I leave it on, some like it taken off) and you have decent looking, $40 jeans.

How can you recommend jeans without knowing what he looks like? Levis 501s and 514s fit horribly on me, for instance.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
How can you recommend jeans without knowing what he looks like? Levis 501s and 514s fit horribly on me, for instance.

Note the IMO I posted, the OP can always try them on for himself. That's why it's a recommendation, I'm not saying "go buy these right now'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads