• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete end of Men's Vogue has been Twittered

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thing I ignored the latest renewal request from this mag....

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly it was just an utterly ignorable magazine. I had high hopes when I heard they were going to launch it, but EVERY issue I saw was light, dull, and totally "meh."

Good riddance; it was a good idea, but totally poorly executed in comparison to its womens counterpart.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/...onger_pub.html

Know anything?

Yeah. I blew some airline miles on Men's Vogue, and all I'm getting is an extra year of GQ (I think this is also airline miles - I think I'm getting Maxim, Details, Esquire, Cigar Aficionado and maybe or two others through various airline miles or free deals crap). I got a postcard informing me of that a few days ago.

Supposedly the extra year will be tacked on to my current subscription, but I think there is a good chance that will get screwed up and I'll get 2 copies of GQ.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was too little content; there were only 10-15 pages of readable text per issue. Also, it was way too Manhattan-centric, with way too much coverage of social events for hedge fund managers (as if that's where you'd look to find good style).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I've said before- I enjoyed it, especally the first few issues.

Just got a card in the mail this week that they are switching my sub to Conde Nast Portfolio.

Catechumen

Reaction score
Subscribed the first year and never renewed. It was just kind of blah - I'm not sure it knew what kind of magazine it wanted to be. Was not particulalry pleased about Obama and Edwards on the covers (with articles) without any attempt to cover more conservative voices. I guess I wasn't in there there target market - and their marketing strategy worked - I didn't renew.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
As I've said before- I enjoyed it, especally the first few issues.

Just got a card in the mail this week that they are switching my sub to Conde Nast Portfolio.

A great publication.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this brings up something I've been wondering (and I'm sure has been discussed many times before) but what magazines do y'all read?

I like Esquire (I subscribe) but think most of its fashion spreads are boring (CAN'T SEE THE GODDAMNED CLOTHES).
Men's Ex is good albeit hard to find.

What about you?

Pylon

Reaction score
Picked up a copy of Men's Vogue somewhere and after a few minutes of thumbing through it was not impressed. I get enough paper in my mailbox, it wouldn't be worth it for free.

I pay for GQ, Esquire, Travel+Leisure, New Yorker, Foreign Policy.

I also get a bunch of other PR, non-profit and fundraising trade magazines through a couple professional associations. For some reason, I sometimes randomly start receiving random magazines out of nowhere. Most recently Money showed up for about 4 months and then they started asking me to "renew").

Opermann

Reaction score
I liked the first 2 or 3 issues (lots of content, interesting articles), ultimately I did not end up renewing my subscription for the reasons stated above.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Opermann
I liked the first 2 or 3 issues (lots of content, interesting articles), ultimately I did not end up renewing my subscription for the reasons stated above.

I liked the first one quite a bit, and liked the second and third more than did most here. But it quickly became directionless. The shrinking page count was the writing on the wall.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the last issues turned to something like a community magazine for new yorkers, and the subjects were pretty dull, compounded by uninspiring writing. can't say i miss it, and really, did anyone actually thought this would thrive? Edit: apparently this has been denied
A CondÃ
00a9.png
Nast spokesperson has confirmed that Men's Vogue will not stop publishing, contrary to this morning's Internet rumors. "There is no change to our plans from what we said at the end of last year. We will put out two Men's Vogue in '09." (Packaged with Vogue, that is.) So yay! All is not doomed.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a slightly related note, does anyone remember the short lived magazine Cargo from a few years ago? Even though it was essentially a monthly buying guide, i did enjoy some of the stuff they came up with. i wish something else would come out like it, although this isn't really a buyer's economy right now.

brescd01

Reaction score
The whole area of men's fashion is a desert. Monsieur is the best I guess, which is not saying much. I think the problem is ad pages, and that content has to draw advertisers, RTW brands with big advertising budgets. I know this is pathetic but I want Golden Age Esquire, assuming it was as great as I think it was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads