• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complaining about Portland, restaurant reservations, and so on.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs! :satisfied:

I already have a res for Canlis and Ms CWI has bookmarked some of those sandwich places and raw bars. I'll go through the rest of them later today. :cheers:

Regarding Portland: the people were pretty rude overall, the weather sucked and the entire town seems to have an allergy to reservations and loves waiting in said **** weather.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the recs! :satisfied:

I already have a res for Canlis and Ms CWI has bookmarked some of those sandwich places and raw bars. I'll go through the rest of them later today. :cheers:

Regarding Portland: the people were pretty rude overall, the weather sucked and the entire town seems to have an allergy to reservations and loves waiting in said **** weather.

The no reservations thing drives me insane. Seems like a pdx specific thing to have this aversion to reservations. On the plus side its made me a much better home cook.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The no reservations thing drives me insane. Seems like a pdx specific thing to have this aversion to reservations. On the plus side its made me a much better home cook.

No it's pretty common. Most places in my neighborhood here in Chicago don't take reservations.

thedavidmurray

Reaction score

I just moved here in November, and the no reservations thing is strange. I don't know that it's PDX specific so much as PDX has just taken to it the next level. Chicago had quite a few places with no reservations but not to the extent we're seeing here. That said, I've had great meals at Nobel Rot, Paley's Place and Imperial, and Biwa that were all reservations. Hopefully someone comes along and convinces the folks here that reservations can be a good thing.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just moved here in November, and the no reservations thing is strange. I don't know that it's PDX specific so much as PDX has just taken to it the next level. Chicago had quite a few places with no reservations but not to the extent we're seeing here. That said, I've had great meals at Nobel Rot, Paley's Place and Imperial, and Biwa that were all reservations. Hopefully someone comes along and convinces the folks here that reservations can be a good thing.
Imperial is awesome. Make sure to check out Paley's Place on NW 23rd, that's Vitaly Paley's upscale restaurant.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No reservations = **** this. Some Bay Area places do it too, others hold some tables for walk ins to prevent reservation bots claiming everything, but there are so many good places to eat that won't test my patience. If I really care that much and no reservations are possible or available I'll hire a goddamn task rabbit to wait in line. Food better be next level though.

Last edited:

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No reservations = **** this. Some Bay Area places do it too, others hold some tables for walk ins to prevent reservation bots claiming everything, but there are so many good places to eat that won't test my patience. If I really care that much and no reservations are possible or available I'll hire a goddamn task rabbit to wait in line. Food better be next level though.

No reservations sounds good to me - I won't have to lie to my wife anymore, when I forget to make them.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's so easy now between various apps, restaurant sites, the select few that still require phone calls. Infinitely more convenient for planning.

Nothing says a fun night out like standing around for 2 hrs in ****** weather.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Portland and there's a ton to see and do in the surrounding area. People were fine too. Food depended on where you went though and there can be waits. I loved Screen Door and fortunately we beat the rush by about 10 minutes which meant no waiting for a table as opposed to nearly an hour wait. Worst thing was one place that refuses to answer it's phone. We're not talking about a preference for an e-reservation either. They simply didn't answer the phone!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thought Screen Door was pretty overrated TBH. Tasty and Alder, Pine Biscuits, etc. were better.

scanner

Reaction score
Oregon is full of redneck hippies that seem to get a pass for everything from ******** in front of a crowd in the street to having a bonfire outside of an opera. And you can't pump your own gas, **** that place.
Tax incentives are nice though.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omg all this PDX talk. I want some Pine State now.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a restaurant/bistro/shop owner the past two years - I now have a whole new appreciation for not taking reservations.
Our no-show rate is 80%. People are booking 3-4 different places any given night then choosing the one they want at the last minute.
It's happening all over the country.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take a credit card down and put a limit for late cancellations then. I have no problem doing that.

PS co sign the lack of diversity in Oregon.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're suggesting charging their cc for cancelled reservations? I bet the ppl would write bad yelp reviews if that happened.

It's built right into Opentable. Some restaurants require a CC to hold the reservation and you have until 48 hours before the resrvation time to cancel or they charge a certain amount per head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads