Comparison of Edward Green Lasts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, May 11, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

Here's a great link provided by Timeless Rider in his post about his new EG Shannon boots on Last 82. It's a great resource, as it shows a comparison of the major lasts used for lace-up shoes by Edward Green -- 82, 505, 606 and 888. It also has a comparo with a JLobb last 7000. Most striking I think is the difference betwee EG last 606 and 888. I had always lumped these two together as being virtually identical - -but they clearly are not; 606 has a more squared-off toe and 888 is more of a curved "banana" shape. The 202 looks positively dowdy in the photos too -- funny, as the two EGs I have on 202 are much sharper looking I think. http://img25.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=eg606-eg888_sm.jpg

2. drljva

drljva Senior member

Agree about the 202. Looks much better in person than it does in pictures (in pics, seems to look too "pointy", to my eyes anyway...). Recently purchased the Helmsley on the 202, and they really make my big ol' feet look good. [​IMG]

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

Good post. Do you know how long ImageShack will continue to host? (i.e. maybe I should download the pics).

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

I don't know. I've already copied the photos to my harddrive because of that concern.

5. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

That's because I have wide feet. All the Greens in the pictures have an 'F' fitting.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your Chelsea's are a 12 1/2 D if I'm not mistaken Kabert (I almost bid on them,) - the 202 looks rather elegant in that size. In shorter and wider sizes it is a fairly standard looking last. I'd like to see the new 82 in a size 12 or 12 1/2, I'll bet it is stunning.

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

You're probably right. Good memory too, by the way. The Chelsea's are marked "12-1/2 / 13 D" which I think means they are US 13C. I bought them from EBay seller English-Shoes. So, I guess they are long and somewhat narrow.

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Anyone know how the 808 compares to the 888?

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmmm, off the top of my head the 808 has a slimmer toe (tapers more sharply) while the 888 is slightly angled at the tip. I like the look of the 808 better, but it does not fit as well as the 888.

10. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

is there an updated EG catalog with Last descriptions? the EG catalogs we have in the Shoe pictorial thread don't show all the lasts. Does someone have an updated EG catalog or something like that?