• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparing Brooks Brothers

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1818 suits that are made in Italy are made by Lardini,you can check the tag. Some of the 1818 suits are made in the US and are most likely made by BB itself as they bought out Southwick.
As for GF suits,some are made in the US by Martin G. and some are made in Italy by Caruso (you need to check the tags though) and some are made in the US (most likely by BB itself).
I have the GF suits made by Martin G.,admittedly,the cuts are not good but there is plenty of handwork in them and fabrics are nice.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
I just bought two 1818 Fitzgeralds on Black Friday. Both are tagged as "Made in Italy." There's a Brooks 1818 Fitzgerald tag on one side of the lining and the other lists some Italian firm. Not sure if it's fabric or maker. I'll check when I get home if anyone is interested.

Vitale Barberis Canonico? Good Italian fabric manufacturer:
http://www.vitalebarberiscanonico.it/

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
campagna_03_splash.jpg

where to buy sheep end table

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost every BB item I own is from the "Custom Made" line, which I suppose is MTM. They are made in the USA and pretty good. I am wearing a Caruso made BBBF blazer today and although not everyone's cup of tea, I like it very much and it is well made.

Mike

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a BB 1818 Fitz corduroy sportcoat this last fall. It says made in Thailand. Must be from their crap made line.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I purchased a BB 1818 Fitz corduroy sportcoat this last fall. It says made in Thailand. Must be from their crap made line.

Most seasonal stuff is made in the 3rd world. Your sportcoat is such an item.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
campagna_03_splash.jpg

where to buy sheep end table

I thought that was the VBC house mascot/pet!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the suit that guy is wearing next to the ram
blush.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
There are some golden fleece items made in China. I picked up a 100% cashmere Golden Fleece Sport Coat that was from China.

That is true. The ~$350 Golden Fleece slacks are made in China.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laer Surtep;3985571 said:
OK, most of you are too young to know this but high quality suits and clothes have always been made by the Chinese whether in Hong Kong or Shanghai etc etc
Just like the US factories though, there are cheap makers and expensive makers.
[\\QUOTE]

Good tailors in Hong Kong? Why whoddathunkit!
devil.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
It's either a blend of cottons or not the real thing. The supply is tiny and only one co. is certified to call it's cotton, Sea Island.
http://www.carstarphen.com/Content/43.htm

Yup, and all of the BB stuff sold under "Sea Island" comes certified. I only have their socks...

cturner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
I just bought two 1818 Fitzgeralds on Black Friday. Both are tagged as "Made in Italy." There's a Brooks 1818 Fitzgerald tag on one side of the lining and the other lists some Italian firm. Not sure if it's fabric or maker. I'll check when I get home if anyone is interested.

I received a 1818 Fitzgerald last week also made in Italy. Label on lining is estrato by Trabaldo Togna. Anyone have color on this fabric manufacturer?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
OK, most of you are too young to know this but high quality suits and clothes have always been made by the Chinese whether in Hong Kong or Shanghai etc etc
Just like the US factories though, there are cheap makers and expensive makers.
btw,real cashmere comes from Inner Mongolia(today a part of China) from the Kashmir goat and there are different grades. Today, cashmere can mean anything but in the past the rules were stricter. Cashmere was the undercoat(goats have 2 coats) from the neck region of the kashmir goat from certain areas of the world.It may take 6 goats to make 1 sweater. You'll find cashmere sweaters for $400 today and some for a $100. Do you really think they're the same material?
The same is true with "sea island cotton". It's either a blend of cottons or not the real thing. The supply is tiny and only one co. is certified to call it's cotton, Sea Island.
http://www.carstarphen.com/Content/43.htm

I'll believe it. I always sort of assumed that so many Chinese immigrants set up laundries partly because there were fine clothing traditions in China and they had a good idea of how to care for quality garments. I could be totally making that up though.

I would, however, be willing to wager that Ascot Chang, always known for nice MTM shirts, has its roots at least partially in China (however many generations back), which could again be pure coincidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads