• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparing Brooks Brothers

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Where is GF made now?

My fav of the last 3 years or so is the GF Regent--made in Italy--Gorgeous/ Retail $2,400.

I believe the GF madison is still made in USA-Martin Greenfield i belive?

Troilus

Reaction score
I finally went through my closet and noted some details about the BB makes:

1818 Suits: I have one three-piece brown Madison that is Loro Piana fabric and made by Lardini in Italy. My two blue 1818 Regents are also Italian-made; one is Estrato cloth and made by Trabaldo Togna, and the other is Lardini with Loro Piana. The Madison is fully lined and the Regents are half.

Suiting Essentials: I also have a blue suiting essentials made in Thailand. The cloth is that wool/DOW XLA stuff. The XLA stuff makes it good for travel but obviously the feel isn't much. I ended up getting at a good price-point ($280 including a second pair of trousers), but I think one is enough.

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
The OP was about the lines of suits carried by BB and the difference among them. When did it turn into a China-bashing session?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious- what about the BB 365 suiting in the outlets?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by x26
My fav of the last 3 years or so is the GF Regent--made in Italy--Gorgeous/ Retail $2,400.

I believe the GF madison is still made in USA-Martin Greenfield i belive?

I love my GF Regent. The fit and the fabric is amazing. the fact that I got it on sale for $900 is even better. I get complemented every time I wear it to work.

Originally Posted by JesseJB
Just curious- what about the BB 365 suiting in the outlets?

I have only been to one BB outlet. Everything I saw from the 365 line looked and felt like crap and I did not think if should have the BB tag at all. Maybe that store just had a bad selection and there are some better pieces.

I only buy the GF line of suits so I would be very wary of the 365.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I just realized its "345" and not "365". Guess I got it confused with the Whole Foods store brand. haha

Yea my brother just bought one of those 345 suits for his wedding. For $450 its not bad as a starter suit but quality is just "meh."

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its 346...

its decent but nothing special its like retail BR id say.

I wouldn't buy any of the suits but the chinos are essentially the same. As well as the polos.

shirts are crappy unless their the luxury ones.

honestly its just better to buy retail at sale time.

nelly

Reaction score
Would a Golden Fleece Fitzgerald Suit at $1140 be considered a "good deal"? (Full canvas & Made in USA)

Just looking at some of the clearance items on the website.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Would a Golden Fleece Fitzgerald Suit at $1140 be considered a "good deal"? (Full canvas & Made in USA)

Just looking at some of the clearance items on the website.

It depends on the amount of free time you have. If the size is available and fit is good, then yes 1.2k for a fully canvassed suit is a great deal. the common alterations will be free with it.

If you have the patience and absurd amounts of time to bargain hunt on ebay, the B/s forum or various outlets and such then you can find "better" deals on comparable suits.

nelly

Reaction score
Just bought it, let me know what you think. I figure it's a pretty conservative/classic color that won't go out of style and should be a wardrobe staple. http://tinyurl.com/4dwormu

greyinla

Reaction score
Just bought it, let me know what you think. I figure it's a pretty conservative/classic color that won't go out of style and should be a wardrobe staple.
Congrats. Nice purchase, and yes, good deal.

Timmer

Reaction score
Nice find. I'm relatively new to suiting and BB in general. Last weekend I went and tried an 1818 Fitzgerald suit which I thought looked good -- fitted but not too fashion-forward. I thought the GF line was all much more conservative. Am I to understand that the GF "Fitzgerald" is the same fit as the 1818 version of the same name? Thank you!

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timmer
Nice find. I'm relatively new to suiting and BB in general. Last weekend I went and tried an 1818 Fitzgerald suit which I thought looked good -- fitted but not too fashion-forward. I thought the GF line was all much more conservative. Am I to understand that the GF "Fitzgerald" is the same fit as the 1818 version of the same name? Thank you!

My understanding is that GF is a line of higher quality (fabric and worksmanship) clothes from BB, not necessary a conservative fit. Black Fleece on the other hand represents both a different quality and a different fit. You'll see on the BB website that most GF suits are Madison fit, but some of them are Regent or Fitzgerald which are noted in the item description. I am fully expecting the one I bought to fit the same as the Fitzgerald 1818, but fully canvassed and with a better looking fabric especially with the herringbone pattern.

Considering that the 1818 Fitzgerald is normally $998, I think the extra $142 to step up to the GF Fitzgerald had to be done.

Timmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
My understanding is that GF is a line of higher quality (fabric and worksmanship) clothes from BB, not necessary a conservative fit. Black Fleece on the other hand represents both a different quality and a different fit. You'll see on the BB website that most GF suits are Madison fit, but some of them are Regent or Fitzgerald which are noted in the item description. I am fully expecting the one I bought to fit the same as the Fitzgerald 1818, but fully canvassed and with a better looking fabric especially with the herringbone pattern.

Considering that the 1818 Fitzgerald is normally $998, I think the extra $142 to step up to the GF Fitzgerald had to be done.

Definitely. Thanks for the information and I hope you enjoy it! -- I guess I just assumed GF was a fit, too. Tempting for the same reasons but since I only have one decent (and a couple sub-decent) suits probably best to get a couple at the 1818 costs (sale) for now. It is in my size, though....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads