Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Compare Corneliani and Isaia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Corneliani is a good suit, Isaia "better".

Agreed.

2. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

My two Polo II (one euro and one USA) in size 42R measure the same length. The trousers are drop 7 in the euro version instead of drop 6, which makes big difference in how the whole suit looks. I think I'll wear mine tonight!

3. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Insteresting. I wear a 52L in Corneliani and a 42L in brands like Hickey Freeman. I'm thinking maybe I should go with a 54L in Isaia. Good thing STP has a really good return policy.

I wear a 42L Hickey Freeman with only minor tailoring. And wear a 54L or 54R Isaia the same way. Some 54R Isaia's will be as long as your 42L HF.

Perry

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I wear a 42L Hickey Freeman with only minor tailoring. And wear a 54L or 54R Isaia the same way. Some 54R Isaia's will be as long as your 42L HF.

Perry

Thanks Perry, for actually answering the question I was asking. I appreciate it. [​IMG]

5. Lino

Lino Senior member

Corneliani is cut like Canali and Zegna.

Isia has more waist suppression and for me can fit a bit snuggly around the waist, with the button pulling a bit. Oddly, if you pull the jacket away from your body while buttoned there will be space there between you and the jacket, but when you let go, the button will still be pulling.

I have been told by sales people that this can be fixed by moving the button. I do not own an Isia, so I have not put this to the test.

I wear a US 40R (50 R 7 Euro) and Isia is one of those rare brands that seems a little tight in the middle (seems to be mostly Neapolitan cuts that do it).

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a very limited experience with Isaia, but what I've tried hasn't worked well for me at all. I take a 38R pretty much straight off the rack with Corneliani, but a 38R in Isaia is a bit snug through the chest, while the 40R is too big through the shoulders. And I've yet to find an Isaia 39R to try on. The last time I inquired, the salesman told me they might have a single 39R in New York that I could special order.

7. Lino

Lino Senior member

I think the tightness in the mid section has to do with the cut. Yesterday I was out with the wife windowshopping and I tried on a wide range of jackets.

The only ones I had any fit issues with across the brand were: Isia, Cantarelli and Ralph Laren Black Label (but no loss there as I find tje lapel is way too narrow). All had more waist suppression, and in all cases the shoulders were fine. I had the same issue as Doc when sizing up a size (from my usual 40R to a 42R, I am curious how a 41R would fit, but none were stocked).

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I pulled the trigger on an Isaia at C21. I pretty much had the same experience as Perry. Normally I wear an EU 52L in Corneliani, but the 52L Isaia was way too tight, especially at the front buttoning point and in the lat area. I then tried a 54R and the fit was great. I especially love the shoulder of the Isaia - very soft and natural looking. A 54L might have been better, but they didn't have any in stock, so I got the 54R. I don't think length will be an issue because even the regular was cut very long. The back of the suit still covers my butt so it's all good even though it's a tad shorter than I normally wear my suits.

9. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I actually prefer the cut of Corneliani. I find Isaia jackets painfully long, and more cut small (except in length!) than actually waist-suppressed.

10. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I actually prefer the cut of Corneliani. I find Isaia jackets painfully long, and more cut small (except in length!) than actually waist-suppressed.

As we are saying there is a huge size difference. Comparing these 2 mfgs is comparing apples and oranges. One is designed for an aircraft carrier body and the other for a frigate.

I can wear a Corneliani by sizing down, but still don't like the boxy cut. And love the fit of the Isaia. I suspect that the converse is true for the folks that are built a bit more boxy than I.

However besides the size Corneliani is not even in the same league with Isaia construction and fabric wise. Pretty much expected with one selling in the 2500s and the other in the mid 1200s.

Perry

11. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I'm 5'10" and 155 pounds, but an Isaia fits me like a too-long sausage casing.

12. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

one thing to note though, Isaia has an array of model, some model fits more slim than others ........ but I love Isaia

13. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I'm 5'10" and 155 pounds, but an Isaia fits me like a too-long sausage casing.

Yes they are cut particularly long. Amazingly I tried on a Battistoni at Barney's Rodeo Drive yesterday in a e54R that was longer than the incredible long (really too long) e54L Isaia's I have!

Perry

14. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

one thing to note though, Isaia has an array of model, some model fits more slim than others ........ but I love Isaia
    Indeed, there are a wide variety of models that Isaia produces (or at least have produced in the past). Of the more common models, the Sirio, Grant, Fabrizio and Stewart models appear to have the most natural shoulders while the Cary is light to moderately padded, and the Enrico model has a moderately padded with a stronger shoulder. www.eHaberdasher.com

15. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Don't forget the Vincent.

NM carries the Stewart, Grant and the Vincent. Now (07 line) called the Base S, Base G, and Base V.

Perry