• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Company taking over a month to hand out offers..

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a final round interview with a company in the beginning of March and they said they would extend offers at the end of the month. I sent them thank you emails (got no responses, but I've only ever received two replies to thank you emails ever, one from a company that ultimately rejected me at the end) and have been sitting tight until now. Thing is, I asked one of my friends who also interviewed with me for the same firm if she heard back. She received an offer from a different company a while back and had to decide to sign on or not, so she contacted the company to see if they would give her a decision before the end of March. They said that they couldn't but that if she waited longer, there would be an opening (is that an implicit way of saying they would be offering her a position?). Now, I have no idea what this means and I didn't want to press her further on it and left it at that. She signed on for the company that gave her the offer a while back. She told me that when she talked to them (the company I'm waiting to hear back from), they now say they need time until April to make a decision.. So what the hell could be going on? Should I just continue sitting tight? Should I follow up with a new email? I've never heard of or seen a company take over a month to extend offers. And this is a particularly small firm. My friend told me that they are hiring four people.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Companies are staffed by people, and sometimes (actually, a lot of the time) people procrastinate or dither or wait to see if just one more resume comes in that will be the easy, obvious hire. It doesn't hurt to follow up, but I'd take any statement regarding when offers will go out with a grain of salt.

Good luck, regardless. It sucks to be kept waiting.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently in limbo for a job, did an interview on site a month ago after a phone interview. Then I followed up very closely about every week with the several people who interviewed me. Then I found out last week that the main hiring manager took another position at another company and they replaced him and now they are not sure what will happen to the candidates who interviewed with the old one.

I also experienced this in the past with another company 4 months of me following up after the "final" interview, and then they let me down. It was nice to know it was me vs another candidate but it ticked me off that 4 months of me following up and trying to be as courteous as possible led to me being denied.

Alternatively I have been offered jobs on the spot 4 times since I graduated College. I declined each one because it was not a position I desired.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The company that I work for now took me 9 months to offer me a job.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it took my present company a very very long time to get me an offer. BUT, they told me right away that they would get me an offer, and they called me several times to tell me that they were working on an offer. if you haven't heard anything, it isn't a good sign. sorry

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
it took my present company a very very long time to get me an offer. BUT, they told me right away that they would get me an offer, and they called me several times to tell me that they were working on an offer. if you haven't heard anything, it isn't a good sign. sorry

Agreed. I've been through the same. I got calls from the hiring manager saying that they were fighting to get me in the door and that I was the top pick, but the hoops and hurdles were taking time. They let me know what was going on the whole way though.

Getting silence is not good.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well my issue isn't that I haven't heard back from them at all. They told me at the beginning of march after my interview that they'd be making decisions at the end of March, which is right around now.

My concern is that I've never heard of a company take over a month to make decisions, especially for a smaller firm.

So I don't want to push them to make a decision when it is still within the time frame of when they said they'd get back to me. If I don't hear back from them after the first week of April (a week after they should have let me known their decision), then I will give them a phone call.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
GreenFrog, I eagerly await your thread soliciting the advice of the forum as to whether you should wear white or grey underpants tomorrow.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol i understand the sentiment.

but hey, im a senior about to graduate and i still dont have a job lined up. im nervous. im anxious. im neurotic.

cut me some slack.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took about a month for me to get an offer from my current gig. It's government so it's not out of the ordinary. However once they said they were interested they regularly were in contact letting me know how things were going (HR was holding things up for various reasons).

Greenfrog, hiring decisions often take time in companies. If they're large or beaurocratic they could take longer. The probably wanted a month because they had many interviews over say, two weeks, and then want to time to properly sift through all the candidates. You have two days til months end, so if you don't hear by April 1 that's bad but follow up anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads