• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commuting to Work Wearing Expensive Shoes

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Besides the sneaker and suit combo is pretty popular with the LA crowd. ;)
This does not mean it doesn't look ridiculously out of place. When has L.A. ever given us anything of value? ;)

Thinking about this ... you're in L.A. ... hummm ... Don't you commute in your own car?

Now if you wear sneakers I wouldn't call you an idiot ... but neither would I suggest that you are well dressed.

Last edited:

JohnEnglish

Reaction score

This does not mean it doesn't look ridiculously out of place. When has L.A. ever given us anything of value? ;)
Thinking about this ... you're in L.A. ... hummm ... Don't you commute in your own car?
Now if you wear sneakers I wouldn't call you an idiot ... but neither would I suggest that you are well dressed.
No, I don't live in LA. The LA comment was tongue in cheek hence the wink. I take the subway everyday. Like I said, I wouldn't sneakers with my suit at work or to a business meeting but on the subway I'll take function over form anytime.

I would argue that most people on here would disagree with that.

Eh, like I said, on the subway I'll take function over form.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this shows why I don't wear expensive shoes while commuting to work, or at work for that matter.

Arriving at work.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:

This is a good method.  But you could use regular paper towels to get the same results, without any newspaper ink concerns.

ccm

this is a blo.dy stup.d argument, imo

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Eh, like I said, on the subway I'll take function over form.

the function of a well fitting dress shoe is to be comfortable and resistant to outer influences. i don't know of any sneaker which can fulfill this in the same matter as a well crafted shoe can do? eh...

freddych

Reaction score
1. I mentioned this earlier, but I wear rubber overshoes whenever it rains or snows to protect my shoes. I have two pairs, one at home and one at work, that way I'm never caught without them.

2. Sneakers to work then changing is something that's very popular with the secretaries, and for at reason alone, I will never do it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2. Sneakers to work then changing is something that's very popular with the secretaries, and for at reason alone, I will never do it. 
Personally I'd never wear sneakers to work then change to dress shoes ... but it's not because secretaries do it. What a ridiculous reason.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeDT

If I were you I'd buy a great pair of shell boots and wear them everywhere - seems like the perfect 'one shoe' for winter in your environment.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
I wear my EG's everyday. Yes, they are subject to a lot of abuse due to living in Manhattan and walking miles on concrete everyday, but in the end shoes are meant to be worn.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

I wear my EG's everyday. Yes, they are subject to a lot of abuse due to living in Manhattan and walking miles on concrete everyday, but in the end shoes are meant to be worn.

I am with the Yachting Man & the others who are happy to wear their best to work, gives me an excuse to buy more shoes & increase my rotation:)

Jangofett

Reaction score
Shoes no matter how expensive are meant for wear. Since most of us work, it must mean shoes are worn to the office unless your work includes going to muddy areas.
Happened to me once. Wore my Tramezzas to a muddy and rocky construction area.

Yep **** happens. I recall polishing one of my shoes on Sunday night and proudly wearing to work on Monday morning.
And this goofball literally stepped on my feet while I was commuting to work. He apologised but I still wanted to do a Manny Pacquiao on his stooge ass.

For that and the rain, I generally avoid wearing my suede shoes. I avoid wearing lighter colour shoes for fear the rain will cause water stains or damage too.
And I dont know what special occasions one can wear expensive GG and EG too. Its not as if one gets to hob nob with the Queen or captains of the industry every month.
And to wear expensive Lobbs and Vash during the weekend to Chucky Cheese and Applebys with the family makes no sense really.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by this phenomenon that light coloured smooth leather will end up with water marks. Whilst I'm not saying it doesn't happen (I have seen enough postings/pics here at SF to believe) I have always presumed those shoes were in their virgin state, with little or no wax polish applied.

Jangofett

Reaction score

I think this shows why I don't wear expensive shoes while commuting to work, or at work for that matter.

If I work in such a place, I would give up the ghost too and wear jeans and flip flops to work everyday.
I bet the provincial or politburo boss where you are at, dont even dress half as well as the greenest rube on SF.

Jangofett

Reaction score

I'm intrigued by this phenomenon that light coloured smooth leather will end up with water marks. Whilst I'm not saying it doesn't happen (I have seen enough postings/pics here at SF to believe) I have always presumed those shoes were in their virgin state, with little or no wax polish applied.

Trust me. It happens. I was caught in a freaking huge downpour once with a brolly and my Tramezza was soaked.
When it dried, parts of it were darker than the rest. Despite spending money to get it fixed, the stains will always be there.
Decided to strip it and colour it. Looks nicer now if I do say so myself.

Got lots of opinions on why the stains happened. I should have used water proof wax to protect it, should have used a hair dryer to dry it etc.
My feeling is they dont really work on some natural coloured shoes.
I use water proof wax on my light coloured shoes religiously but water stains still happens.
Now my heart goes pitter patter when my light coloured shoes get wet and I await with anxiety on how the stains dry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads